Oil Leak, what is this part?

Stuart Little

Veteran Member
TDI
10' Jetta TDi Cup Edition - 6M, 02' TDI Beetle - 5M
I just changed the oil on our 2002 TDI Beetle with 274k miles, I didn't notice a leak before so it may be coincidence that post oil change there is now a small leak, or it may be that the previous owner used a heavier weight oil?
I used the 505 oil change kit for the TDI Beetle from IDParts 5w40 - A4 ALH Oil Change Kit 505.00 - 074115562 - IDParts.com
Alas, I pulled the dieselgeek skid plate, wiped everything down as best as possible with my massive hands, then ran the engine for a bit and it appears the leak is coming from a hose on an part about 10 inches below the oil filter (see pics). It appears to be right above a black circular
Is this a common problem, something I just need to replace, loose clip, etc?
Thanks for the help guys!
From Beneath:

Top View:

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
That is your oil cooler.

It has two O-ring seals. One at the joint between the cooler and the filter housing, and another at the bottom of the cooler.

Would suck to have to change them right after an oil change though, b/c you will lose the oil in the filter housing when you do it. There is a big ole hex on the bottom of the oil cooler. Snug it up a bit to see if that helps (25Nm is torque spec).

Stuart Little

Veteran Member
TDI
That is your oil cooler.

It has two O-ring seals. One at the joint between the cooler and the filter housing, and another at the bottom of the cooler.

Would suck to have to change them right after an oil change though, b/c you will lose the oil in the filter housing when you do it. There is a big ole hex on the bottom of the oil cooler. Snug it up a bit to see if that helps (25Nm is torque spec).
Cool, I'll give that a shot, it appears like it's coming from the edges of the hose, is that a possibility? I'm not too familiar with oil coolers (nice and small and easy to access on my motorcycle), I'm guessing that hose isn't under too much pressure as it's only held on with that little compression clip.

It would suck to lose all the oil indeed but as long as I don't lose all the oil there is still some leftover from the oil change kit.

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
Yeah, that video is about it.
Not too difficult, and pay attention to the note at the beginning about opening the top of the oil filter housing first to allow oil to drain to the pan. That will cut down on the amount you lose (though you will still lose some).

it appears like it's coming from the edges of the hose, is that a possibility? I'm not too familiar with oil coolers (nice and small and easy to access on my motorcycle), I'm guessing that hose isn't under too much pressure as it's only held on with that little compression clip.
The rubber hoses on the side of the oil cooler are carrying coolant. They are a goes-inta and a goes-outta with a little heat exchanger inside. So if they were leaking then it would be coolant (hopefully pink in color). It is also possible, though rare, for the heat exchanger to leak inside the cooler which would allow the dreaded mixing of coolant and oil. But those symptoms would be obviously different.
Your leak looks like the more common and easily fixed re-seal job (or simply re-tighten).

Stuart Little

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, that video is about it.
Not too difficult, and pay attention to the note at the beginning about opening the top of the oil filter housing first to allow oil to drain to the pan. That will cut down on the amount you lose (though you will still lose some).

The rubber hoses on the side of the oil cooler are carrying coolant. They are a goes-inta and a goes-outta with a little heat exchanger inside. So if they were leaking then it would be coolant (hopefully pink in color). It is also possible, though rare, for the heat exchanger to leak inside the cooler which would allow the dreaded mixing of coolant and oil. But those symptoms would be obviously different.
Your leak looks like the more common and easily fixed re-seal job (or simply re-tighten).
Yeah, it isn't G12+ or a mixture of oil+coolant thank goodness! Just oil.

I'll give it a tighten mañana (if I have a 32mm socket) and if that doesn't work I'll replace the seals!

Jesse_Boyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm all out...
I'll give it a tighten mañana (if I have a 32mm socket) and if that doesn't work I'll replace the seals!
Careful with this. My '01 leaked when it was really, really cold and one day I decided to tighten the assembly a bit. I didn't over-do-it in my eyes and the one seal was so brittle, it broke. Next start-up left a VERY nice trail of oil and I was stuck waiting for a new one from VW.

If it's not leaking terribly, order the seals and wait to replace/torque.

Stuart Little

Veteran Member
TDI
Careful with this. My '01 leaked when it was really, really cold and one day I decided to tighten the assembly a bit. I didn't over-do-it in my eyes and the one seal was so brittle, it broke. Next start-up left a VERY nice trail of oil and I was stuck waiting for a new one from VW.

If it's not leaking terribly, order the seals and wait to replace/torque.
Already picked up from VW this morning, will install tonight and update the thread!

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Would a inch and one quarter socket work in place of the 32mm?

Stuart Little

Veteran Member
TDI
Would a inch and one quarter socket work in place of the 32mm?
I believe it would but I actually had a 32mm on hand from some old oil filter socket.

BUT, replacing the seals didn't work, is the next step to replace the oil cooler? NewBeetle.org suggested looking in the coolant res as it may contain oil indicating the oil cooler needs replacement