www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old September 5th, 2013, 20:53   #1
kcunniff
Veteran Member

Default EGR Filter and DPF Replacement

Over the past three months, my '10 Jetta CJAA (41,000 miles) has been haunted by the P0401 code with accompanying MIL. First attempt to deal with it was to go back to an OEM air filter element, after the dealer triage. Cancelled the code and this worked for three months. MIL came on a week ago last Sunday, VCDS turns up P0401 - car back in the next day Monday. After further investigation, it was determined that the EGR filter and DPF would be replaced due to internal malfunction (VTA Access Code-1143300). Just got the car back today, THIS REPAIR WAS 100% COVERED BY VW UNDER THE EMISSIONS CONTROL SYSTEM WARRANTY. My service man said this would have cost me $2300 and change. Only problem was the exhaust pipe was seized making it hard to remove. Had to re-tap the hole after removal, got a new pipe. For those of you consistently dealing with this error code in a CR TDI, I would strongly suggest you look into replacing these components. For those of you looking to do it yourself, here is a list of the parts used in this repair:

(1) 1KO-254-706-LX - Exhaust pipe
(2) 1KO-253-725 - Clip
(1) 1KO-253-115-AE - AE Gasket
(1) 1KO-253-141-M - Clamp
(1) 1KO-253-115-T - Gasket
(1) 1KO-253-725-E - Clip
(1) 1KO-253-120 - Tube
(1) 03G-131-547-H - Gasket
(1) 1KO-131-552-A - Line
(2) WHT-000-431-A - Bolt
(4) N-910-398-02 - Bolt

Also got a tire replaced free of charge due to a slight bulge that developed in the right front tire side wall three days before it went in for the emissions repair. Vista VW, Pompano Beach, FL treats me very well and always has (and no, I am not affiliated with the business in any manner, nor do I receive any compensation of any sort).

As part of their multi-point check, my battery tripped an error code and needs replacement. This was the first code for this, and it happened today. Will scan with my VCDS after driving tomorrow, just because it seems odd that it threw the code today after final re-assembly. To be on the safe side, I picked up a new OEM battery at Gunther VW, Coconut Creek, FL ($124.00, better price) and will drop that in over the weekend.
kcunniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 03:52   #2
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcunniff View Post
... First attempt to deal with it was to go back to an OEM air filter element, after the dealer triage...
What type of air filter element were you running? How many miles?
Old September 6th, 2013, 05:16   #3
MonsterTDI09
Veteran Member

What was the internal malfunction? Did they replace NOx filter?

German engineers do things because they can,not because they should

http://www.dpfregeneration.com/
MonsterTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 07:25   #4
ibexlatham
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterTDI09 View Post
My guess the internal malfunction is the DPF was cracked. It seems to be the most likely suspect with a P0401 code... They should change the code from "EGR flow insufficient" to "Check tailpipe for soot, replace DPF if there is any" to avoid misdiagnosis in the future.
ibexlatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 08:43   #5
kcunniff
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
What type of air filter element were you running? How many miles?
It was a K&N, had 38,000 miles on this filter with cleaning/oiling done at 12K intervals.

Had run nearly 100,000 miles with a K&N in my '05 Golf, which still has the original MAF. To be on the safe side, I went back to OEM on that car as well. After doing some more in depth research on the subject, I will stick with OEM on the air filter elements.

Last edited by kcunniff; September 6th, 2013 at 08:55.
Old September 6th, 2013, 08:53   #6
kcunniff
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterTDI09 View Post
To my knowledge, there was no specific NOx filter replacement. As for the malfunction, this is what the VW diagnostic spit out along with the recommendation for replacement. I asked if the EGR filter and DPF were inspected after being pulled out, as I was curious about the specific malfunction, but this was not done by the technician (don't get paid to do detective work...). I asked if the DPF was cracked, but this was not determined.

Drove the car this morning for 70 miles or so, with 35+ at highway speed (70+ mph). Pulled into my garage space at work and it was in a regen cycle - place smelled like burning soot. My previous regen cycles (which were few and far between) didn't produce any odor, so I guess the new components are doing what they are supposed to. Curious as to why I already entered into a regen cycle, especially since the DPF is presumably clean (brand new yesterday) and I stepped on it a bit today? We'll see how it goes, and hoping for an improvement on the fuel economy, as this had dropped off a bit since the error code started tripping.
Old September 6th, 2013, 09:53   #7
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

I'm surprised they would warrant ANY work on a car having run K&N filter for that long.
Old September 6th, 2013, 10:06   #8
MonsterTDI09
Veteran Member

The reason why I ask. I was talking to a company at the fest that cleans DPF system for $500 dollars. He thinks the problem starts at the NOx filter, he said he gets more crap out of the Nox filter than the DPF. If they just replace the DPF and the NOx filter you will be in the same boat down the road. He also say that K&M the one's that you wash and reuse effect the DPF. The reason why is that the little pours on the filter start to close up and cut off air flow.

German engineers do things because they can,not because they should

http://www.dpfregeneration.com/
MonsterTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 10:11   #9
kcunniff
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
I'm surprised they would warrant ANY work on a car having run K&N filter for that long.
Not sure I understand this statement, can you explain please?
Old September 6th, 2013, 10:17   #10
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 56.3/44/41

K&N filters don't filter very well and allow gunk to get on the MAF, which will throw off the emissions system.

If I were you I'd consider changing the MAF as well, or at the least cleaning it.

-J
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 11:27   #11
MyAvocation
Veteran Member

I'm guessing the dealer didn't notice the K&N. Otherwise he'd be SOL.
Old September 6th, 2013, 13:05   #12
kcunniff
Veteran Member

Actually, the dealer had first suggested I remove the K&N and re-install the OEM filter element in order to try and alleviate the P0401 code issue. After doing so, I continued to have the problem, and would deduce that the filter had absolutely nothing to do with this. At the minimum, the dealer would not be able to definitively prove that a K&N filter would ultimately lead to DPF failure, as suggested above by MonsterTDI. Therefore - warranty coverage.

Last edited by kcunniff; September 6th, 2013 at 13:09.
Old September 7th, 2013, 09:02   #13
Lee_Taylor
Veteran Member

Just wondering is the K&N oil used on the filter low ash? Personally I think you are very fortunate and if VW pay attention to these forums and note the dealers details you might be so fortunate in future.
Old September 7th, 2013, 09:49   #14
jetlagmech
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 jetta
Fuel Economy: best tank 50.6, worst 36

the experience many have had here is the dealer will claim that whatever component is not stock is what caused the problem and not cover the repair. VW will back the dealers claim and now it is up to you to prove your aftermarket item did not cause the problem.

for example..... some of the first HPFP failures, the dealer drained fuel from tank into dirty soda bottle and said "see you have bad fuel, not our fault" without even testing the fuel. putting it in the file as fact. or the particles the HPFP throws back into the tank the dealer claims the owner pumped in there because the HPFP can not put metal back to tank and simply putting it in the file as bad fuel and not covering the repair.
1946 Luscombe 8E
jetlagmech is offline   Reply With Quote