www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2013

TDIFest 2013 Discussion about TDIFest 2013 on the Labour Day weekend (August 30th to September 1st, 2013) in Sunday River, near Bethel, Maine. Latest information in the TDIFest wiki.

Old September 1st, 2013, 17:47   #31
NHgranite
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
But titanium rides like steel without the weight and is more durable.
The Ti rides like a noodle when you can put 2000 watts to the crank.

I'll take a Tig welded Columbus Max frame any day of the week, thank you very much...
Old September 1st, 2013, 18:24   #32
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

You can have it, I'll take my one of a kind custom assembled and welded Merlin. One so unique Tom Kellogg (whose name is on the chainstay) and a few other original Merlin people knew exactly whose frame it was (after some deliberation) when I dropped it off to him in PA but never knew what became of it.

To me, it's priceless because of its history, not that it's the 29th Ti road frame Merlin built (out of thousands) or that it rides like a Cadillac over rough Maine roads.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 18:57   #33
NHgranite
Veteran Member

Tom is a great guy (and a strong rider).

Hey... what better combo that a TDI & custom road bicycle?

Ride & drive safe !!
Old September 1st, 2013, 21:47   #34
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
To me, it's priceless because ....... it rides like a Cadillac over rough Maine roads.
And I'd rather not be in a Cadillac on any rough roads of any state. I get sea-sick.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:04   #35
roadhard1960
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48 mpg

2,000 watts! I have never seen a thousand in two or three years of power meters except the aberration readings. Might be why I am often a mid pack racer. Then again I doubt some of my friends on the podiums are doing much over a 1,000 watts. They just train harder and eat wisely. Titanium would be fine for me. Heck even Reynolds or Columbus tubing would be nice. Ah the joys of being an overweight ectomorph.
2003 Jetta wagon GLS, 5 Speed, Alligator tune, 34 psi tire pressure, 49.1 US mpg first 35k, 50 next 31.5k, 50.4 next 36k miles, cleaned intake twice and polished end runners last time, Mobil Truck & SUV or Delvac. Koni FSDs, VWs since 1977. Sprint 520 Nozzles for Christmas 2007. Ecodes with fogs and Eswitch. 505,000 miles and counting, original turbo. 2004 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO.
roadhard1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 23:05   #36
Nuje
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHgranite View Post
The Ti rides like a noodle when you can put 2000 watts to the crank.
'Tis true; however, 2000 watts is pretty much inhuman output to the cranks of a bike. Maybe you'll get a world-class 200m sprint cyclist able to put that out for 5-8 seconds, but that's about it.
(Seriously - being that one horsepower equals about 750 watts, there aren't too many guys out there with the power of ~2.3 horses.)
And at that point, for sure, you're not gonna go with something that SNAPS (Ti, Carbon) when it breaks; you're going to want something that bends (like steel).
When I had my SRM, 300 watts was sustainable with some serious effort, anything approaching 400 was do-able - but not for very long.
Being that every ride of mine involves close to 1000ft. of climbing, I'll stick with my lightweight, solid (enough) carbon fibre Giant.
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote