www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2013

TDIFest 2013 Discussion about TDIFest 2013 on the Labour Day weekend (August 30th to September 1st, 2013) in Sunday River, near Bethel, Maine. Latest information in the TDIFest wiki.

Old July 22nd, 2013, 19:23   #16
AARodriguez Corp.
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageman69 View Post
cant hate a guy for trying lol.
Not at all
Old July 31st, 2013, 09:33   #17
bassman5066
Veteran Member

Hello, I have a 1Z engine swapped into a 91 Golf that already has a Malone Stg 3 and PP764 nozzles. Shortly after TDI fest, I will be pulling the head for replacement, and installing a Schweitzer S2A turbo with an air/water IC setup, and an upgraded cam (open to recomendations). Currently the ECU is set for 18 lbs of boost and was probably going to start somewhere around there on the new turbo since it will be flowing much better. I was looking to have my chip reflashed to work better with the new turbo setup, and was wondering what the price would be for a custom tune since I already have a Malone chip, and also would it be OK to drive the car 500 or so miles home with the stock turbo and cam on the custom tune?

Sent from my Bosch Motronic ECM via VCDS Version 1.9LVE

bassman5066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 20:45   #18
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Just signed up may '84 Vanagon for a Stage 3! ....
'84 Vanagon '02 ALH TDI engine(32 to 35+ MPGs consistently) Malone Stage 1 tune. Road trip to Nova Scotia 2013. Road trip to Alaska summer 2014 & 2016, 11k & 12k miles. 80k miles on install, Jetta Cluster odometer currently at 209k miles.
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 23:08   #19
jay_fyp
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees View Post
Just signed up may '84 Vanagon for a Stage 3! ....
haha NICE! I had an '80 Vanagon that unfortunately caught fire and burnt to it's demise in Florida on a road trip from N.J. to FL in 2000 when I was 21. I miss that van so much. It took me on many road trips throughout the country in my teenage years and early twenties.

jay_fyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 05:43   #20
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Wow!

Well, back in '97, my '83 Air-cooled non-Westy burnt an exhaust valve. We were fortune to find a guy with a large garage that let me pull the engine tl do the repairs. (EDIT: in Alaska)

So, with the engine back in the vehicle, but still up on stands, I fired it up. In a matter of seconds gasoline was pouring out the bottom below the engine.

The problem: the pressure fuel line just above the transmission was almost "rubbed" through. So, apparently when I connected everything back in place, the line had a little more stress and ruptured right there.............. could have been on the road and ended up like your Van.

You need to find another one! ..........!

I really like my ALH powered Vanagon!
'84 Vanagon '02 ALH TDI engine(32 to 35+ MPGs consistently) Malone Stage 1 tune. Road trip to Nova Scotia 2013. Road trip to Alaska summer 2014 & 2016, 11k & 12k miles. 80k miles on install, Jetta Cluster odometer currently at 209k miles.

Last edited by AndyBees; August 10th, 2013 at 05:53. Reason: Add comment
Old August 10th, 2013, 22:17   #21
jay_fyp
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees View Post
Wow!

The problem: the pressure fuel line just above the transmission was almost "rubbed" through. So, apparently when I connected everything back in place, the line had a little more stress and ruptured right there.............. could have been on the road and ended up like your Van.

You need to find another one! ..........!

I really like my ALH powered Vanagon!
You know, I kind of feel like that's what happened to mine. Mine didn't gush all the gas out, but I can remember after the last fill up on my tank of that vanagon before the fire, that I saw some gas on the ground and just chalked it up to overfilling, spilling, whatever the case may be. Next day, boom, catches fire after starting and driving not two minutes down the road, likely due to a spark igniting the fuel. After it happened and I researched it turns out it was a very common issue with them. Luckily I got that van on the cheap, and it well exceeded what I payed for it in the distance it took me. And yes I want another one badly, a nice diesel westfalia, wouldn't mind a vw bus westfalia either.

How many mpgs you getting with the ALH in yours and does it pull it? I can tell you SLOW was an understatement with my gasser Vanagon. Your'e gonna have the fastest Vanagon know to man after a Malone 3 tune! Awesome.

And sorry for blowing up your thread with Vanagon talk Newzboys! I will be a customer at TDIfest!

Edit (Just saw your mpgs in your sig) very nice!

Last edited by jay_fyp; August 10th, 2013 at 22:20.
jay_fyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 08:22   #22
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Well, it hangs above 30 mpg. Seems I've hit 34 mpg on a few tanks. With the ALH engine (or any modern TDI engine), it is a must that the gearing of the tranny be addressed as well as wheel size (got to bring down those RPMs).

It runs really nice as is ........ have had a starting issue that seems to allude all logic.