Speed limits across the US are on the rise! Up-to-date state-to-state info & news...

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Much of Utah has been 80mph for years, now they are just extending to all the interstates (except in the big cities). There was no appreciable increase in accidents or deaths in the stretches of highway with the 80mph speed limits.

As for Nevada, there used to be no speed limits until the 55mph National speed limit was imposed way back when. Until the 70s the speed limit was "safe and reasonable". What was "safe and reasonable" depended a lot on what you were driving. It might be 65mph in an old air cooled VW or 130mph in a Porsche 911.

We shall see what happens. In much of rural Nevada (which is most of the state), you can see 5 miles ahead and the roads are arrow straight. There is nothing for a police car to hide behind. I know a guy (with a CR JSW) who routinely sets his cruise control for 115 and drives for hours. He won't tell me what mileage he gets when he does that.:rolleyes:

Have Fun!

Don
The Nevada law allowing 85 has died as of last week, oh well maybe Utah posting many miles at 80 will push surrounding states to join in....

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
80 is a good place to be for now. Other states will follow suit shortly after they see that traffic accidents don't spike.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
80 is a good place to be for now. Other states will follow suit shortly after they see that traffic accidents don't spike.
Colorado discussed a maximum of 85, it was in a toll bill a few years back, as well as Arizona has at least once before a few years back. Last year Wyoming debated allowing 80 but the bill died.

Have you clocked many miles in this part of US??

In my experience in most western states ( Kansas excluded a speed trap from one end to the other!!) as long as you stay below ~85 on rural freeways and ~75 on two lane highways you will not be bothered. I have many times been in groups on the planes of CO @ ~85+ set on the cruise for hours at a time on I-70, I-76 and I-25, a CoHP was in the group more than once.

Across most of the west in good weather during the day you can set the cruise @ 83-to just under 85 for hours at a time. In WY, MT, NV, & AZ just under 85 will not get you noticed. In some of NV, in most of CO, UT and CA you can set it ~85 or a little higher.

AS long as you don't speed above ~90 or as long as you don't follow too close, fail to signal lane changes or block the left lane across most of the miles no one from law enforcement will bother you. They will pull you over in a second for doing any of the above at speed, in CO at least they set up traps on bridges not for speed but for following too close verified by laser.

There was on local new last year while the CoHP officer was being interviewed it showed him clocking traffic on I-25 north of Denver looking for following too close. The radar showed passing cars running as high as 88-90 mph on the police radar but not being pulled over because they were traveling that fast in safe manner! They will however not tolerate anyone blocking the left lane! It is the law in most of the west today "Keep Right Except to Pass" on freeways posted above 60 mph. I have an ex that was pulled over and scolded once for staying in the left lane too long on east bound I-70 one time.

I have been passed traveling in the low 80s in at least three western states by the local HP just cruising above 85 more times than I can recall.......

It would be nice at least once in my life have the posted limit mean something, be close to or where it should be posted in the states I drive across. That is for at least one of the states I have to drive to actually have the posted at a limit matches the safe and comfortable real 85th percentile speed it would be nice!!......

jlkilpatrick

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
We have 85 mph posted highways here in Texas what isn't 85 is usually 80 across the state with a few exceptions.An interesting point was when the removed all the reduced night speed limits of 65 mph the State troopers quit the highway speed traps. Simply because most drivers stuck to the 80 or 85 mph limits. On my many trips to Houston from West Texas many drivers drive a little slower to conserve on high fuel prices. Deer of course are always killed at night by the big rigs that also are driving 80+ speeds other than that accidents have not changed dramatically.

Last edited:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
hurrah, looks like we may get a 75 maximum on the books in NC as soon as next week

It looks like the 75 limit bill in NC is likely to pass the house later this week without much opposition. We could have areas posted @ 75 in NC as soon as safety studies are finished.:D:D:D

Update 6/19/2013:
After looking like we were going to get a vote today at the last minute they postponed until Thursday when a group in the house voices opposition to the increase. My guess is that the supporters of the increase were uncertain of how the vote would go so didn't want to risk loosing. I gurantee the bill supporters are getting all of their ducks in a row with enough support to pass before they vote Thursday. The same garbage spewing groups that pushed to block the passage of 70 in ILL a few weeks ago are mounting a effort to block this!!

If you live in NC it might be a good idea to call your representative to voice support for the increase..

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The speed limit on the I-495 express lanes on the west side of the DC beltway is going up to 65 MPH on June 24th. :cool:

nexus665

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 4 1.9 ALH MY2002
We shall see what happens. In much of rural Nevada (which is most of the state), you can see 5 miles ahead and the roads are arrow straight. There is nothing for a police car to hide behind. I know a guy (with a CR JSW) who routinely sets his cruise control for 115 and drives for hours. He won't tell me what mileage he gets when he does that.:rolleyes:
Have Fun!
Don
Hi Don,
not sure how mileage in NV compares to over here - anyway, here goes: we have a 130 kph (about 82 mph) posted speed limit here in Austria, neighboring Germany has (stretches of, not everywhere) unlimited speed limits on the Autobahns.

At or near the speed limit (about 140kph on the speedo, which is about 133-135 kph real speed via GPS) I get about 5-5.5 liters/100km, which equates to about 43-47,5 mpg. This is using a 2002 Golf 4 ALH TDI.

At about 180 kph (112.5 mph) on the german Autobahn, I get about 7-7,5l/100km, which is about 31.5-34 mpg, at 200 kph (125 mph) I need about 9l/100km, which is about 26.5 mpg. Wind resistance rises drastically at higher speeds.

This is using a .7 5th gear and cruise control at night without traffic, so could be equated with empty straight NV roads (albeit a lot cooler as far as ambient temps go :D), with the original gearing it would use at least a liter/100km more. In traffic with frequent braking etc, you could a) not hold this average speed and b) would use a lot more fuel.

HTH

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hi Don,
not sure how mileage in NV compares to over here - anyway, here goes: we have a 130 kph (about 82 mph) posted speed limit here in Austria, neighboring Germany has (stretches of, not everywhere) unlimited speed limits on the Autobahns.

At or near the speed limit (about 140kph on the speedo, which is about 133-135 kph real speed via GPS) I get about 5-5.5 liters/100km, which equates to about 43-47,5 mpg. This is using a 2002 Golf 4 ALH TDI.

At about 180 kph (112.5 mph) on the german Autobahn, I get about 7-7,5l/100km, which is about 31.5-34 mpg, at 200 kph (125 mph) I need about 9l/100km, which is about 26.5 mpg. Wind resistance rises drastically at higher speeds.

This is using a .7 5th gear and cruise control at night without traffic, so could be equated with empty straight NV roads (albeit a lot cooler as far as ambient temps go :D), with the original gearing it would use at least a liter/100km more. In traffic with frequent braking etc, you could a) not hold this average speed and b) would use a lot more fuel.

HTH
What is the average elevation where you drive?? Nevada, Utah and Colorado are pretty high up, a lot of it is above 5,000 ft with some 8,000-9,000 ft.

nexus665

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 4 1.9 ALH MY2002
Hi, true - elevation here varies along the way, obviously, but is 200-1000m ASL along the route I usually take, so about 650ft - 3300ft, about, not very high up.

Forced aspiration offsets elevation to some degree (while loading the turbo more), but obviously it takes away some fuel efficiency.

Regards

Jacob G

Veteran Member
TDI
04 TDI Golf, 83 Rabbit TDI, 07 Dodge Ram 6.7 Cummins, 85 Golf 1.6
Kinda off current trend of topic... I would think that if roads were better taken care of highways/freeways not just in utah could raise speed limits, perfect example would be Europe. I lived in Germany for 4 years and the roads were awesome, they still had speed limits in many places but.... I loved the autobahn. I also understand a lot has to do with climate... But still. Coming home to the states 90 wasn't the norm anymore. Anyway I'm done rambling... Just adding a thought.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The safety mafia wins again in NC and rest of us loose again!

In the NC house the safety ^$%$%&^ seem to have been successful in blocking a tightly controlled increase to 75 as the maximum:mad::mad::mad:..........

The best it looks like we might get is 4 test sections proposed for allowing the increase, under the control of a legislative committee. So don't hold your breath of them ever allowing 75 to be posted in NC under this arrangement, which is exactly what the safety mafia/( you can give these closed minded groups whatever name you wish!) wanted all along!!!

There are hundreds of miles across NC, thousands of miles across the entire south that could easily and safely be posted @ 80 today but insurance companies would loose billions......And they will never ever stop fighting with their cooked up data claiming that allowing higher legal speeds on highways designed to handle these speeds will lead to more deaths.

We now have over 7 decades of data that says otherwise, we have real data collected in states that have allowed increased speeds safely on two lane roads( up to 75 mph ) and freeways( up to 85 ) since the ending of the NMSL.....

update; safety (**()__ won defeating the bill.....No chance for a increase again until 2015.

Last edited:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
a letter to CDOT worked to get the limit raised on a rebuilt section of US 285

IN the Denver metro area they rebuilt a ~8 mile stretch of US 285 (Hampden Ave) about 2 years ago. They kept the limit after the rebuild @ 45 for the first couple of miles and ~6 miles @ 55 which from the daily enforcement activity seemed far too low. About ~10 months ago I driving across town on this stretch of freeway noticing that there were 10 officers with drivers pulled over in the area still marked @ 45, a ~2 mile stretch which was at least 10 mph below what it should be.

A little background, CDOT had over the last 7-10 years had set a precedent of doing speed studies on several roads & freeways that had been updated with safety improvements and extra lanes added to determine what the limit should now be. After much public pressure to obey the law and post the speed that matched the current 85th percentile speed CDOT went against several local cities(Denver included) and began to post the limit @ what collected speed and safety data showed it should be.

In late 2011 the limit was raised to 55 on a rebuilt section of US 85 that had for ~15 years been a speed trap while posted @ 45. After three speed studies in mid 2008, 2009 & 2010 that showed that the road could safely handle 55 the 4 cities along the stretch that had made a fortune in speed traps put up a fight that lasted over three years. CDOT finally got tired of fighting with the cities along the stretch and just stated it was safe to raise the posted limit 55 so they did just that.

The above fight that lasted close to 4 years was with plenty of local municipalities pushing back(screaming bloody murder!!) in the name of safety. All claiming that there would be carnage that would ensue from a higher limit being posted around the metro area, proved wrong in every case around the state that has received higher posted limits. Now that CDOT has over a decade of data stating that posting higher limits within cities that match real world speeds even in the center of the cities on these roads has made travel safer. This has painted a clear picture of the real reasons they are still fighting higher posted limits, it is now the plainest to see that the opposing of higher limits was always and really is today about the lost ticket $$$$$!!! The effect of the above fight has been the limit being raised on several simi controlled access multilane highways all across the state, from 45 to 55 & 65.

It was in the above light that I contacted CDOT by letter with a request for a speed study on the entire ~8 mile stretch of US 285 that had been rebuilt but still had limits from before. I emailed a copy of the letter I sent to the state to the state DOT office that handles speed studies when I sent the letter. I got a response a couple of days later from the head of division, in the letter it was stated that a speed study would be done as soon as possible.

Fast forward to the beginning of last week; last sunday I driving on the section that was the 45 mph posted section when I noticed that it had been raised to 55!. Then yesterday I was on the freeway section of the road that was still 55 last weekend when I noticed that it had been raised to 65!. So after my request for a speed study all of the sections that were rebuilt have been raised!! The 45 sections are now 55 and the previous sections that were 55 are now posted @ 65.

This may not work in every state but at least today in Colorado if there is a valid reason for the limit to be raised they do it today. Even with the cities along these stretches claiming it's not safe we know today that the state DOT had speed studies with safety data stating higher limits could be safely posted. With these facts brought to light it is now clear for all to see that the objections of local municipalities were always about keeping the speed traps they have run for years making tons of money off of drivers doing nothing unsafe!!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The effectiveness of the speed-study argument depends on the attitude of the local roads departments, politicians, and legal situation, and that's different in every area.

Here in Ontario, speed limits seem largely set by the whims of local politicians with scant consideration given for normal traffic flow, and I would reckon that the 85th-percentile speed is likely 20 km/h above the posted speed limits on average and there are some complete absurdities that are much worse, like this one ... Why the 50 km/h limit (note for the Americans, this is 31 mph)?

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&l...oid=RWv_gG0bgoV4QWWrnsc5ZQ&cbp=12,164.69,,0,0

By Ontario's own normal practices, this ought to be 80 km/h, and it feels completely normal to do 100 km/h here (and in Germany, that would be the limit on a road like this) ... but that will get you a "stunt driving" charge.

Here's another one ...

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&l...5_QqPMpMb8U4uFTwvwssGg&cbp=12,339.18,,0,-4.33

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The effectiveness of the speed-study argument depends on the attitude of the local roads departments, politicians, and legal situation, and that's different in every area.

Here in Ontario, speed limits seem largely set by the whims of local politicians with scant consideration given for normal traffic flow, and I would reckon that the 85th-percentile speed is likely 20 km/h above the posted speed limits on average and there are some complete absurdities that are much worse, like this one ... Why the 50 km/h limit (note for the Americans, this is 31 mph)?

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&l...oid=RWv_gG0bgoV4QWWrnsc5ZQ&cbp=12,164.69,,0,0

By Ontario's own normal practices, this ought to be 80 km/h, and it feels completely normal to do 100 km/h here (and in Germany, that would be the limit on a road like this) ... but that will get you a "stunt driving" charge.

Here's another one ...

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&l...5_QqPMpMb8U4uFTwvwssGg&cbp=12,339.18,,0,-4.33
Hasn't there been a effort in the last couple of years to try to change the law to allow higher limits to be posted in Ontario?? Every time I have been on 401 and other freeways in the area traffic was running 75-80 mph, it seemed dangerous to go any slower. It would be nice if they posted the limit at least close to travel speeds there........

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NH gets higher limit Jan 1

NH Gov signs law allowing increase

Hassan signs bill raising I-93 speed limit AP / July 2 said:
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — Starting in January, drivers can go a little faster on parts of New Hampshire’s Interstate 93.

Gov. Maggie Hassan signed a bill into law Tuesday raising the speed limit effective Jan. 1 from 65 miles-per-hour to 70 miles-per-hour on I-93 from mile maker 45 between Exits 17 and 18 in Canterbury to the Vermont border. There’s an exception: the stretch through Franconia Notch.

Hassan encouraged drivers to obey the new limit and keep their safety in mind and the safety of others.

Lawmakers had considered and rejected raising the speed limit on other stretches of highway. The only increase approved was for the stretch of I-93 that Hassan agreed to on Tuesday.

‘‘We must always be cautious when considering speed-limit increases in order to maintain the safety of our citizens and of visitors using our highways,’’ Hassan said in a statement. ‘‘The limited nature of the 5 mile-per-hour speed-limit increase in a targeted region of the state, along with the overwhelming, bipartisan support for the measure, makes me comfortable with signing this measure into law, bringing the speed limit more in line with the habits of our rural travelers.’’

Thirstyturtle328

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
In the NC house the safety ^$%$%&^ seem to have been successful in blocking a tightly controlled increase to 75 as the maximum:mad::mad::mad:..........

The best it looks like we might get is 4 test sections proposed for allowing the increase, under the control of a legislative committee. So don't hold your breath of them ever allowing 75 to be posted in NC under this arrangement, which is exactly what the safety mafia/( you can give these closed minded groups whatever name you wish!) wanted all along!!!

There are hundreds of miles across NC, thousands of miles across the entire south that could easily and safely be posted @ 80 today but insurance companies would loose billions......And they will never ever stop fighting with their cooked up data claiming that allowing higher legal speeds on highways designed to handle these speeds will lead to more deaths.

We now have over 7 decades of data that says otherwise, we have real data collected in states that have allowed increased speeds safely on two lane roads( up to 75 mph ) and freeways( up to 85 ) since the ending of the NMSL.....

update; safety (**()__ won defeating the bill.....No chance for a increase again until 2015.
I'm curious what sections you feel could/should be raised to 75mph? Aside from I-40 east of Raleigh.

Thanks!

Last edited:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ohio get 570 miles posted @ 70 mph July 1. Also on June 30 the Gov signed a law allowing 70 on other US and state routes that meet interstate specs. State DOT spokesperson stated today(July 1) that it would likely be 90 days before we know what other highways across the state will see the increase to 70 mph.

these are a few of the roads that might qualify for the increase under the law signed sunday;

OH 2 west of Cleveland,

OH 5 around Warren,

OH 11 from Lake Erie down to Dilles Bottom,

OH 16 from Newark to Marneo,

US 20 from Oberlin to I-480, US 23 from Waldo to OH 423 ,

US 24 Indi state line to OH 66, US 30 Van Wert to OH 309 & US 23 to I-71 & Wooster to OH 57 & OH 172 to Wacofrom ,

US 33 from US 68 to I-270 & from Carroll to Sugar Grove & a section of US 33 & US 50 around Athens,

US 35 from Xenia to Richmond Dale & from Jackson to W VA state line less 8 mile stretch in the middle,

US 68 from I-70 to just north of Bowlusville,

US 250 from Uhrichsville to I-77, and US 422 from Auburn Corners to I-271.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I work for the NCDOT. I'm curious what sections you feel could/should be raised to 75mph? Aside from I-40 east of Raleigh.

Thanks!

I-85 from just north of Salisbury to Greensboro, when it is finished from Concord to Greensboro

I-40 from - Old Fort to Morganton, Statesville to the Yadkin river , and from Raleigh to Wilmington

I-77 north of Statesville,

the new section of US 70 south of Raleigh( Clayton Extension ) & from just outside of Kinston to New Burn,

US74/future I-74 From Rockingham to Hamlet & from Lourinburg to just past I-95, and the section around Whiteville

US 264 & US 64 east of Zebulon on the sections today posted @ 70,

Formerly known as US 117 now is I-795,

the north end of I-85 to the VA line,

the north end of I-95 to the VA line

And the US 17 bypass around Windsor

All of these are where it is posted @ 70 today. There are hundreds of miles that could today be safely be posted today @ 75 across NC. I have driven most of the freeways in the last decade and all safely handle speeds today of 75-80+.

By the way in an interview with DOT officials when the bill first passed the senate they listed most of these as possible candidates for the increase if the law passed......

Thirstyturtle328

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
I-85 from just north of Salisbury to Greensboro, when it is finished from Concord to Greensboro

I-40 from - Old Fort to Morganton, Statesville to the Yadkin river , and from Raleigh to Wilmington

I-77 north of Statesville,

the new section of US 70 south of Raleigh( Clayton Extension ) & from just outside of Kinston to New Burn,

US74/future I-74 From Rockingham to Hamlet & from Lourinburg to just past I-95, and the section around Whiteville

US 264 & US 64 east of Zebulon on the sections today posted @ 70,

Formerly known as US 117 now is I-795,

the north end of I-85 to the VA line,

the north end of I-95 to the VA line

And the US 17 bypass around Windsor

All of these are where it is posted @ 70 today. There are hundreds of miles that could today be safely be posted today @ 75 across NC. I have driven most of the freeways in the last decade and all safely handle speeds today of 75-80+.

By the way in an interview with DOT officials when the bill first passed the senate they listed most of these as possible candidates for the increase if the law passed......
Thanks for the detailed response! I'll look into these some tomorrow. You sure do know the state!

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the detailed response! I'll look into these some tomorrow. You sure do know the state!
I have family on Oak Island, Hendersonville, Morehead city, lived in the Winston area, and the Raleigh area.

I have made that drive to the coast at least a few times a years for ~40 years.

US 264 & 64 east of Zebulon are long empty stretches with up to 3/4 of a mile between the east & west lanes in sections that could safely handle 100 mph!

US 70 on the Clayton extension is new built to the highest safety standard and from Kinston to New Bern is very straight and flat has light traffic so both stretches could easily handle 75.

The stretches of US 74/ future I-74 listed above are also new and built to the highest safety standard so would have no trouble accommodating 75. The stretch of US 74 around Whiteville is old but the east & west lanes are separated by quite a bit so it could safely handle 75.

I-85 from the Yadkin river to Greensboro is a empty wide many lane freeway that is one of the safest stretches of highway in the state. The north & south bound lanes are far apart in much of this stretch.

I-40 from Statesville to the Yadkin rivers has the east & west bound lanes far apart on most of that stretch so would have no trouble accommodating 75.

I-77 north of statesville is on rolling hills with long sight distances and at many points with the sides divided by up to 1/2 a mile. This is one of the safest roads in the state that today has a 70 mph posted limit.

US 117, now I-795 is only a few years old with light traffic so could easily safely handle 75.

The Windsor 17 bypass is empty and new so would have no trouble with a 5 mph jump.

I-85 & I-95 north to the VA line also could handle the 5 mph increase without problem.

Thirstyturtle328

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
I have family on Oak Island, Hendersonville, Morehead city, lived in the Winston area, and the Raleigh area.

I have made that drive to the coast at least a few times a years for ~40 years.

US 264 & 64 east of Zebulon are long empty stretches with up to 3/4 of a mile between the east & west lanes in sections that could safely handle 100 mph!

US 70 on the Clayton extension is new built to the highest safety standard and from Kinston to New Bern is very straight and flat has light traffic so both stretches could easily handle 75.

The stretches of US 74/ future I-74 listed above are also new and built to the highest safety standard so would have no trouble accommodating 75. The stretch of US 74 around Whiteville is old but the east & west lanes are separated by quite a bit so it could safely handle 75.

I-85 from the Yadkin river to Greensboro is a empty wide many lane freeway that is one of the safest stretches of highway in the state. The north & south bound lanes are far apart in much of this stretch.

I-40 from Statesville to the Yadkin rivers has the east & west bound lanes far apart on most of that stretch so would have no trouble accommodating 75.

I-77 north of statesville is on rolling hills with long sight distances and at many points with the sides divided by up to 1/2 a mile. This is one of the safest roads in the state that today has a 70 mph posted limit.

US 117, now I-795 is only a few years old with light traffic so could easily safely handle 75.

The Windsor 17 bypass is empty and new so would have no trouble with a 5 mph jump.

I-85 & I-95 north to the VA line also could handle the 5 mph increase without problem.
Thanks again for the detail.

There are lots of things to take into consideration with thinking about raising the speed limit. For instance, every interstate in North Carolina was originally designed with a 75mph speed limit. It is NCDOT's policy to design a roadway 5mph higher than the intended posted speed limit. Also, you have to consider clear distances which is the distance to fixed objects such as trees or ditches, this increases quite a bit with only a 5mph speed increase due to the already high speeds. There are lots of other things to consider, one of which is crash history. Would YOU be comfortable raising the speed limit in an area where there is a substantial run-off-road crash pattern? Putting your name on it? Lots of things to think about other than if you're comfortable at that speed. You have to make roads idiot proof. Not for or against the change, just some things to think about. I do hope they pass the bill and give the NCDOT the OPTION of raising it if we see fit after conducting the proper research and engineering studies.

Thanks!

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks again for the detail.

There are lots of things to take into consideration with thinking about raising the speed limit. For instance, every interstate in North Carolina was originally designed with a 75mph speed limit. It is NCDOT's policy to design a roadway 5mph higher than the intended posted speed limit. Also, you have to consider clear distances which is the distance to fixed objects such as trees or ditches, this increases quite a bit with only a 5mph speed increase due to the already high speeds. There are lots of other things to consider, one of which is crash history. Would YOU be comfortable raising the speed limit in an area where there is a substantial run-off-road crash pattern? Putting your name on it? Lots of things to think about other than if you're comfortable at that speed. You have to make roads idiot proof. Not for or against the change, just some things to think about. I do hope they pass the bill and give the NCDOT the OPTION of raising it if we see fit after conducting the proper research and engineering studies.

Thanks!
I understand all of that, I have done research on what NC requires to allow the 70 limit and the requirements in NC uses are overly cautious compared to many states. NC is overly cautious in the posting of all rural highway and freeway maximums. And if you look at the data there is no evidence that NC keeping limits as low as they have has made any of our rural roads any safer than states that have adopted 85th percentile related limits on all roads.

In many states the limit would be 70 over many more miles than are allowed in NC today. The stretch of I-85/I-40 from Greensboro to Durham comes to mind as being currently under posted compared to what it would be in many states with similar design and traffic flow.

And I did consider that these stretches of highway that I speak of already have good safety histories when it comes to high speeds and safety or they wouldn't have the 70 maximum posted today in NC. These highways have long site distances, wide bridges which are required in NC at least to get the 70 limit and they all have clocked safe travel since the limit was raised back to 70 in the 1990s.

I get it that NCDOT doesn't want to make any roads more dangerous but we have a history of posting limits well below what they should be here across the state, what they are safely posted @ in other parts of the US designed to similar standards with similar traffic flow. And like I said there is no evidence that the policy that NC has continued of keeping limits low well below actual travel speeds has made travel any safer than it is in states that post limits @ or close to the actual 85th percentile speeds.

In other parts of the US they have posted two lane highways to 65 or 70 safely, but NC seems to not be willing to consider posting the limit close to the speed drivers actually are traveling. Continuing to keep the 55 limit on rural two highways has never accomplished making drivers go that slow, I speak from over 3,000,000 miles clocked in 46 states and 6 countries.

I am sure NCDOT has real collected data from the last ~7 decades showing the average travel speed on most two lane rural roads in the low to mid 60s mph, the same as it was before the NMSL was put in place. Which means that the limit that should be posted @ 60 or 65 for it to have any relevance. A few states have rural two lane highways posted as high as 75, but many have posting them @ 60-65 mph in the last few years. I would be happy if NC would raise them to at least 60.

And I am also sure NCDOT has data showing the 85th percentile speed on rural divided highways in the high 60s to 70. And data showing that rural freeways are clocking in mid to high 70s to around 80 mph over most of the states freeways. Which I am sure you know means that the current posted maximum are today set too low. It would be nice if we were to take the limit control out of the legislatures hands putting it back into the hands of the DOT without political maximums on the books today.

If would be nice if the DOT had the ability to do the speed studies, evaluate the safety record of a given stretch of highway or freeway and post the limit that is similar to the speed drivers are actually traveling safely today! That would make travel safer. The continuation of the current policy of keeping political maximums that in no way reflect what is the real safe travel speed, what are today's real safe speed which in most of NC is above the current posted limit does nothing to improve safety, but what is does do is fill the coffers $$$ from drivers getting ticketed for doing nothing unsafe.

Thirstyturtle328

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
I understand all of that, I have done research on what NC requires to allow the 70 limit and the requirements in NC uses are overly cautious compared to many states. NC is overly cautious in the posting of all rural highway and freeway maximums. And if you look at the data there is no evidence that NC keeping limits as low as they have has made any of our rural roads any safer than states that have adopted 85th percentile related limits on all roads.

In many states the limit would be 70 over many more miles than are allowed in NC today. The stretch of I-85/I-40 from Greensboro to Durham comes to mind as being currently under posted compared to what it would be in many states with similar design and traffic flow.

And I did consider that these stretches of highway that I speak of already have good safety histories when it comes to high speeds and safety or they wouldn't have the 70 maximum posted today in NC. These highways have long site distances, wide bridges which are required in NC at least to get the 70 limit and they all have clocked safe travel since the limit was raised back to 70 in the 1990s.

I get it that NCDOT doesn't want to make any roads more dangerous but we have a history of posting limits well below what they should be here across the state, what they are safely posted @ in other parts of the US designed to similar standards with similar traffic flow. And like I said there is no evidence that the policy that NC has continued of keeping limits low well below actual travel speeds has made travel any safer than it is in states that post limits @ or close to the actual 85th percentile speeds.

In other parts of the US they have posted two lane highways to 65 or 70 safely, but NC seems to not be willing to consider posting the limit close to the speed drivers actually are traveling. Continuing to keep the 55 limit on rural two highways has never accomplished making drivers go that slow, I speak from over 3,000,000 miles clocked in 46 states and 6 countries.

I am sure NCDOT has real collected data from the last ~7 decades showing the average travel speed on most two lane rural roads in the low to mid 60s mph, the same as it was before the NMSL was put in place. Which means that the limit that should be posted @ 60 or 65 for it to have any relevance. A few states have rural two lane highways posted as high as 75, but many have posting them @ 60-65 mph in the last few years. I would be happy if NC would raise them to at least 60.

And I am also sure NCDOT has data showing the 85th percentile speed on rural divided highways in the high 60s to 70. And data showing that rural freeways are clocking in mid to high 70s to around 80 mph over most of the states freeways. Which I am sure you know means that the current posted maximum are today set too low. It would be nice if we were to take the limit control out of the legislatures hands putting it back into the hands of the DOT without political maximums on the books today.

If would be nice if the DOT had the ability to do the speed studies, evaluate the safety record of a given stretch of highway or freeway and post the limit that is similar to the speed drivers are actually traveling safely today! That would make travel safer. The continuation of the current policy of keeping political maximums that in no way reflect what is the real safe travel speed, what are today's real safe speed which in most of NC is above the current posted limit does nothing to improve safety, but what is does do is fill the coffers $$$ from drivers getting ticketed for doing nothing unsafe.
Extremely well thought-out response. You need to go to Raleigh and convince them!

By the way, this:
"In other parts of the US they have posted two lane highways to 65 or 70 safely, but NC seems to not be willing to consider posting the limit close to the speed drivers actually are traveling. Continuing to keep the 55 limit on rural two highways has never accomplished making drivers go that slow, I speak from over 3,000,000 miles clocked in 46 states and 6 countries."
^^^^They're currently throwing around the idea of making the statutory speed limit 45mph instead of 55mph, then fielding requests to have them raised back to 55mph. The majority of serious injury and fatal crashes in NC are single-vehicle crashes on 2-lane rural roadways with a 55mph speed limit. Just so you're aware, I think there's a 0.0001% chance of the 55mph statutory speed being raised in either of our lifetimes.

At any rate, I'm interested to see what happens with it but like I said, I'd like to at least have the DOT have the latitude to raise a speed limit if it sees fit. Lawmakers aren't engineers...although they act like it an awful lot.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Extremely well thought-out response. You need to go to Raleigh and convince them!

By the way, this:
"In other parts of the US they have posted two lane highways to 65 or 70 safely, but NC seems to not be willing to consider posting the limit close to the speed drivers actually are traveling. Continuing to keep the 55 limit on rural two highways has never accomplished making drivers go that slow, I speak from over 3,000,000 miles clocked in 46 states and 6 countries."
^^^^They're currently throwing around the idea of making the statutory speed limit 45mph instead of 55mph, then fielding requests to have them raised back to 55mph. The majority of serious injury and fatal crashes in NC are single-vehicle crashes on 2-lane rural roadways with a 55mph speed limit. Just so you're aware, I think there's a 0.0001% chance of the 55mph statutory speed being raised in either of our lifetimes.

At any rate, I'm interested to see what happens with it but like I said, I'd like to at least have the DOT have the latitude to raise a speed limit if it sees fit. Lawmakers aren't engineers...although they act like it an awful lot.
Are they really that clueless at the DOT???? the current 55 limit on rural highways is unenforceable, 45 would just be a ridiculous bad joke!

I have over 30 years of driving on NC rural highways, have plenty of friends my age that drive on them every day across the state. And without exception they all have radar detectors and set the cruise @ ~65 on two lane highways while crossing the state. If they at the DOT or Raleigh ever want the limit not to be ignored by 99.9 % of drivers it will have to be raised. the NCHP doesn't even seem to try to enforce anything short of close to 68-70 on two rural highways, if they did there would be an outcry across the state to change the limit! Hopefully they are not stupid enough at the DOT not to get that!

You should take a trip to the west and see what it is like to drive at the speed you feel comfortable without worry of a ticket. Freeways commonly are traveled in the low to mid 80s without worry of ticket, two lane highways are safely and comfortably traveled for miles on end @ ~70 mph. It is hard to drive in NC when I go back home, I do not pull out of my driveway without my radar detector in place! I was really hoping, at least I finally had some hope that maybe some of those long drives across the state would be a little less nerve racking with a posted 75 on those areas I listed....Oh well, maybe in 2015!

And by the way, I never speed on surface streets. I have not had a ticket of any sort in over 30 years. I only go what is now considered safe today and allowed in states on rural highways and freeways. And I keep a close watch out for what is going on in the states I have to cross regularly limit wise and enforcement wise!