www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010+)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010+) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010+) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old February 19th, 2013, 06:14   #1
Mscarchuk

TDI(s): Golf
Fuel Economy: 43
Default Exaust

Hello i am lookin into doing a "custom" exhaust on my 2013 golf tdi. I dont want to remove the dpf or cat too much bs work. But is there a place that makes resonator deletes or how much work is it to make your own. I want to make the car a little louder and roll some coal hopefully. Exhaust work is the last step before i have everything planned out. Thanks alot.
Ps sorry about my lingo used to the diesel truck scene more
Mscarchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:34   #2
cd_booth
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35/45

If you're not removing anything else then you won't be successful in changing the exhaust tone or "rolling coal." If you're just looking for aesthetics then you can do a muffler delete and weld some nice tips on but it won't do anything for noise.
cd_booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 07:19   #3
Mscarchuk

Well i am also planning on a plug and play chip and a cai. But i wanted to do the resonater because a cat bak for me has too much turbo for me. And i cant find an aftermarket exhaust for this car with a muffler.
Old February 19th, 2013, 08:06   #4
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mscarchuk View Post
Well i am also planning on a plug and play chip and a cai. But i wanted to do the resonater because a cat bak for me has too much turbo for me. And i cant find an aftermarket exhaust for this car with a muffler.

Learn (read) first and spend money second - you will end up much happier in the long run.

1) You will not "roll coal" in a clean diesel unless you do several illegal modifications. Discussing this is against forum rules. If you bought a diesel so you could roll coal:
a) You bought the wrong car.
b) You might want to grow up a bit. There is no need to give diesel cars a bad reputation.

2) Add-on tuning boxes (plug-n-play chip) are lame compared to a real ECU tune. They can't do as much good and they might do more harm. Stick with a well known tuner.
3) Aftermarket CAIs are mostly useless (except to create a little more noise). Your car left the factory with an excellent Cold Air Intake. Aftermarket CAIs are designed to move money from your wallet to someone else's wallet. Read this thread for more info: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=290373
4) Cat back (legal) exhaust modifications (or even a straight pipe) will do nothing for power and only slightly increase noise. Most of the "muffling" in our cars occurs in the emissions control system, and modifying that is highly illegal.

Welcome to the TDIClub - the best place on the internet for TDI help.

Have Fun!

Don
Dieselgeek Shortshifter & Panzer Plate (my favorite & my smartest mods)
2MicronTech Pure Flow and Contain Flow CR fuel system modifications

Last edited by JSWTDI09; February 19th, 2013 at 08:19.
JSWTDI09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 09:32   #5
elitegunslinger
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_booth View Post
If you're not removing anything else then you won't be successful in changing the exhaust tone or "rolling coal." If you're just looking for aesthetics then you can do a muffler delete and weld some nice tips on but it won't do anything for noise.
I still can't roll coal

Alas it's probably better this way.

Without removing everything else a muffler will just make your car sound more like a vacuum cleaner.

You could contact these guys: http://www.saber-edv.co.uk/

Maybe they could modify their box to just be an exhaust clip that varies on throttle
elitegunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 10:43   #6
BarnyardsTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Depends on my right foot

A late 80s/early 90s 12valve Cummins is more what your looking for. Hope you enjoy the new TDI!
Old February 19th, 2013, 11:02   #7
Mscarchuk

But is there any cat back for these that has a muffler keeps a tone but not as quiet as stock?
Old February 19th, 2013, 11:09   #8
No More Buffalo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: see sig

No, there isn't much noise in the first place....even running a straight pipe out of the turbo won't make much more noise - the turbo alone tames the bark considerably.
Old February 19th, 2013, 12:19   #9
ihatespeed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40mpg city 46 avg, 50 hwy 35 trailer

[QUOTE=JSWTDI09;4100905]Learn (read) first and spend money second - you will end up much happier in the long run.

1) You will not "roll coal" in a clean diesel unless you do several illegal modifications. Discussing this is against forum rules. If you bought a diesel so you could roll coal:
a) You bought the wrong car.
b) You might want to grow up a bit. There is no need to give diesel cars a bad reputation.

Definitely a massive +1 on point b! Mine smokes a tiny bit when it is cold, and cold out, but not once it warms up, regardless of how hard I work the loud pedal. It is far quieter than a stock thunder bunny. there is a reason diesels have a negative image in this country, people think they are loud, smelly and dirty. A little good will might have better options on the road than the crop of over hyped hybrids and under thought dismal ranged electrics the govt is currently subsidizing.
Malone stage 1.8ish PDE downpipe and exhaust, dg short shift, gentex mirror, 27mm hollow rsb, westfalia hitch and towing springs, Andrew's 3rd generation (2Micron.com) return fuel filter, and Pure Flow HPFP modification
ihatespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 16:14   #10
bmwM5power
Veteran Member

the only thing you can do and not to void warranty on the dpf is to get the AWE Tuning stainless catback, or just the GTI muffler with the rear diffuser, for looks
bmwM5power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 16:25   #11
nikhsub1
Veteran Member

Is that a TDI Tiguan? ^^
Revo Tune / afe Intake / Neuspeed Turbo Exit Pipe / Mufflerectomy / ST Coils / Superpro LCAs / 25mm BFI RSB / Golf R Steering Wheel & Shifter / DG Short Shift Kit / RNS-510 / VWR BBK - MKV R32 Rear Brakes /OEM LED HIDs / VMR V810 / S53 Whispbars / OEM Golf R Front End
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 17:43   #12
N41EF
Veteran Member

I have an aFe stainless cat back. Dropped prob 20 pounds from the rear of the car. Does have a nice dual polished stainless tips. Maybe a little more tone, not much. I got mine at a reasonable price through eBay.
URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/N41EF/ml320][/URL]
N41EF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 00:30   #13
Vidgamer
Veteran Member

Zipping around today, I thought the car was a bit loud when I stepped on it. Maybe it's just me... although it seemed to be more engine noise than exhaust? I don't have any desire to make it louder.

As for cars with aftermarket exhausts, most of these don't sound good on the outside or inside. Even some that sound nice and loud on the outside are punishing to the driver; I'd never stand to drive in a car that droned while going down the highway. I had a cat-back with a resonator installed on one car -- now that sounded great. Deeper tone when you got on it without droning. But I spent a lot of time researching my options.

For the Golf, I got these nice shiny tips. :-)
Vidgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 05:37   #14
Mscarchuk

If you delete the cat do you need a tune?
Old February 20th, 2013, 08:10   #15
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mscarchuk View Post
If you delete the cat do you need a tune?
If you are talking about a 2009+ TDI, the simple answer is yes. There are actually 3 catalytic converters with different purposes. There is also a DPF. Each of these has a regeneration cycle that is done at least occasionally. Removing any of these devices will require a custom tune to eliminate the regeneration cycles or you will have to live with a CEL. That said, if you bought a "clean diesel", why not keep it that way.

Have Fun!

Don
Dieselgeek Shortshifter & Panzer Plate (my favorite & my smartest mods)
2MicronTech Pure Flow and Contain Flow CR fuel system modifications
JSWTDI09 is online now   Reply With Quote