www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old December 27th, 2012, 16:49   #181
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsoot View Post
Does any body know whats behind the name "DEKA". I do
Nope!
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 18:48   #182
thundershorts
Veteran Member

ok...I'll ask.
Old January 20th, 2013, 11:29   #183
perry-vw-
Veteran Member

I ordered a bracket from IDparts for $20 and I was able to get a 94R battery from Farm & Fleet for $84.

I checked my local Walmart and they didn't carry it and when I looked up the Interstate brand it was something like $175.
perry-vw- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:58   #184
Volk14
Veteran Member

I just ran into this thread. My 02 wagon 1.8t came stock with the larger battery but it was originally sold in Minnesota. I wonder why it has the larger battery, every other B5 Passat I've seen have the smaller unit.

I'm considering downgrading to the smaller one. I'm sure that it will perform just as well and I'm all about weight savings, every little helps and it's even cheaper
Volk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 10:53   #185
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsoot View Post
Does any body know whats behind the name "DEKA". I do
Well?
Old January 25th, 2013, 13:48   #186
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post

After a few frustrating no-start days without a boost due to temperatures below minus-20s degrees Celsius, before breaking down to buy a new battery, my last straw was to pull the battery out of the car, bring it inside the house and put it on a trickle charger near a heating duct. The car started today under somewhat milder temps but it took a long time of cranking and even then I was very lucky that the engine started because the cranking speed was slowing noticeably before it fired up.

I found out that the existing battery is actually a Mercedes-Benz branded one quite a bit smaller (just over 10 inches in length) than the battery tray that someone had stacked together a bunch of cut-up lengths of an old timing belt as a spacer.

However, I was glad to learn that my car already has the bracket to accommodate the larger battery so I'll be shopping for a 94R/H7 battery in the coming days. My local stealership is REALLY a stealer - I bought an oil filter for $24 something and an OEM battery would have cost $139 plus tax. I declined on the battery and I'm now kicking myself for having bought the oil filter that I'm now tempted to return it. Never again will I buy anything from there unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks very much, oilhammer!!

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 14:29   #187
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Stacks of timing belts... priceless!
Old January 25th, 2013, 15:15   #188
thundershorts
Veteran Member

The dealer supplied battery is one of the best you can buy, and its not a terrible premium to pay rather than screw around in the cold. I believe the larger battery is about same price as the 72ah one. The dealer/vw supplied Varta is a known quanity. If I were you I'd trade your fuel filter in on a Varta.
Old January 25th, 2013, 17:26   #189
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

It has already been discussed here that recent dealer batteries are not sourced from Varta in Germany but rather from some domestic manufacturer. The person who helped me did not seem aware of different part numbers for Diesel applications, certainly not the higher capacity one and I certainly wasn't going to test him with my very limited command of French. He also said that the CCA was 640 and I'm quite certain it's a group 41 unit originally called for (remember, my model does not exist here; I actually inquired about a battery for a B4 Passat TDI; the specific model did not seem to matter anyway as he proceeded to tell me that they only stock two types of batteries - the smaller ones for gassers and big ones for Diesels.

So on principle of not taking kindly to being gouged for an oil filter, I'll take my chances with a non-OEM battery and get one from Canadian Tire, Walmart or even Costco.

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
Old October 21st, 2013, 18:55   #190
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

Bump on this thread. I replaced the battery in my B5 Audi A4 over the weekend with a Bosch 94R battery - my car had the hold-down bracket on the right in the below pic to accommodate the larger battery:

Strangely, the battery still seemed to be a little undersize in the tray; I figure I had about an inch of clearance on the length. I'll take some pictures to show what I mean. Kinda wondering if I should have gotten a group 49 battery instead... The OEM "DJ" part was quite expensive at the dealer even with the discount I get.

Old October 22nd, 2013, 04:27   #191
thundershorts
Veteran Member

The Bosch batteries are made by Exide and I've had good luck with them. Bosch apparently gets 10 bucks per as a royalty to use their name.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 08:23   #192
poppadoc
Veteran Member

VW dealer in Maretta Ga. batteries are Interstate Batteries but they are cheaper then the Interstate dealer especially if you have a VW coupon.
poppadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 17:43   #193
Smokerr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5/32/28

I work with batteries a lot (backup generators and fire pump are the worst abusers of Batteries as they charge 24x7x365)

So the Basics:

CCA is critical if you are in cold temperatures. Lots of amps is what starts a car, not AH. Bigger batteries have more CCA. AH is meaningless and I have no idea why they even have that. You also have to know what AH rate is (1, 2, 5, 10 hour etc). CCA is at a given temperature (0?) 32 deg (I would have to look it up but does not change.

Cold Batteries: They love the cold, they last forever. Sadly, the chemistry is not the least bit excited (pun) and does not put out the same oomph. So what looks like a bad batter (or deterioration in the cold) is the characteristic of the chemistry.
By the time you get to –20, you have lost of the output. That’s why CCA is important in the cold, the more you start with (pun) the more you have when its cold.
We have had the original battery since 05, I will change it next summer as the starting in cold temps is getting marginal. In my truck I had the same battery 15 years and just replaced it as some indications it might be going bad (bad starter actually). It was time for safety sake but that tells you how long they last in cold temps (diesel take a lot more ooomph with glow plugs and the compression so more often for them)

Heat: Batteries Hate heat, though they sure put out good until they fizzle. Heat accelerates the chemistry and the breakdown. For each 10 deg above 77 you cut battery life in half (yhep). Under the hood in Texas or Florid or X, its always hot. Ergo, short battery life but good performance before they destroy themselves.

Make Does Matter!!!!: JCI has a good reputation because they use good materials, process and procedures. I would go with the Interstate or the Varga (VW provided). Either should be good. Sometimes a store changes and you don’t know it. If you can’t confirm its not worth it.
Cat used to use Exide. In my applications they would last less than 2 years. We swtihced to the Interstate’s and I can get 10 years. For a standby gen application anything over 3 years is great. 10 years is Jaw dropping incredible (and they are still working!)
The only ones I have seen that come close are something called DBMC out of the Carolinas (or used to be, they may be gone, they were regional only). We got them at the OEM set of the Fire Pumps and we got 7 years out of them (one dropped the plates blew up so we changed them but they were still putting out though the autopsy showed the plates disintegration which is probably what cause the short).
Cheap batteries get you short life in heat and don’t put out in the cold well, or fall off so rapidly that they are useless.

Get the Varta VW or the Interstate, its worth it and you will get many times the life.

If hot climate keep the small Varta, you don’t need the bigger one.

Last edited by Smokerr; December 13th, 2013 at 17:46.
Smokerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 17:54   #194
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

IB4 "but Ah" :-)

My suggestion to those on both sides of the epic battery wars remains: Look up how DIN tests for Ah and how SAE tests for CCA, and then decide for yourself, based on scientific fact, which testing procedure most closely mimics what you need from you car battery for your weather conditions. :-) :-)
Vince Waldon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 18:50   #195
peiphil
Veteran Member

Smokerr is very right!
Sulphation is the culpret that hurts a battery in the heat.
It is a chemical reaction and every chemical reaction known to man speeds up with heat!
For that very reason I store my off season batteries in the deep freezer.
Skidoo battery in summer and seadoo battery in winter.
Just pull them out let them thaw and turn the key dont even have to charge them
peiphil is offline   Reply With Quote