www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old January 16th, 2013, 18:51   #1
jsl262

TDI(s): vw passat
Default passat key replacement

What's the cheapest way to replace a key for 2013 passat?
jsl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 20:52   #2
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Fuel Economy: see signature

Don't lose it in the first place.

Keys for these cars are expensive - probably gonna have to suck it up and go to the dealer unless you know someone with VCDS who knows what they're doing. Do yourself a favor and get two - they'll usually give you a bundle price.
VeeDubTDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 00:53   #3
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Coming soon

As far as I know, the only option is the dealer...

With the advent of the newest immobilizer systems (I believe 2005 and newer), VCDS is not capable of programming the keys.
Old January 17th, 2013, 02:49   #4
Rico567
Veteran Member

Before you scream out loud at the price, the modern "smart keys" for most cars are pricey, it's just a question of how much. When we thought we had lost one of the key sets for a relative's Hyundai Santa Fe we were keeping while they were deployed in the military, I discovered that it would be around $150 to replace. And this was only the old fashioned separate key and remote fob. But they key still had a chip in it......while the old-style un-chipped key for my Dodge Dakota cost $7 at the dealer.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 05:47   #5
TypeRod
Veteran Member

I bought into the "key replacement" program, when I leased my '13 Passat. I just replaced one key last week, they charged me about $177 or so incl. tax, just for the key, then $100 to program it! I have bought replacement keys for my previous 2012 Tiguan, and only got charged $50 to program 2 new keys, the fee to program the key is dealer dependent.
But when I called to get reimbursed for the key, the lady said, "oh, they're charging a bit much for the key". I was not expecting that answer, I just thought whatever I paid, is what I'll get reimbursed for. But anyways, I paid about $277 for everything, I think she said she'll reimburse for about $235. I actually made money, lol, as I only paid $199 to buy into the key replacement. AND I get to replace any lost/broken key anytime for the remainder of the lease, of which there is a yearly reimbursment limit of $800.

But to answer your question, dealer is the best way. They'll need your VIN and the key will get cut elsewhere, for me it was cut in NJ, then mailed to the dealer.
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:40   #6
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Has anyone had the dealership do this upon delivery? Thinking this might be something I try to get to happen on Sunday.

psd1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 14:10   #7
psd1
Veteran Member

So I can answer my own question. I contacted the dealership late last week and asked to have a key cut/programmed and be available when I picked up my car. $200 added to the 0% @ 66 months! Nice to have a little insurance policy in the key box!

Old January 21st, 2013, 14:42   #8
etiolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by psd1 View Post
So I can answer my own question. I contacted the dealership late last week and asked to have a key cut/programmed and be available when I picked up my car. $200 added to the 0% @ 66 months! Nice to have a little insurance policy in the key box!
does the passat usually only come with a single key?
etiolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 16:35   #9
psd1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etiolate View Post
does the passat usually only come with a single key?
No, two. But my GF is OCD and "needs" to have a "spare". Plus, it's easier than dealing with it down the road if needed. $200 was a bargain I felt.

Last edited by psd1; January 21st, 2013 at 16:36. Reason: spelling