www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old November 19th, 2012, 13:21   #1
nuga

Fuel Economy: 44ish right now
Default Replacing battery reset ecu?

Does replacing your battery reset your ECU? I have a tune i dont' want to lose over a stupid battery. I went to the VW dealer in DC and thats what they were trying to tell me?

they were trying to install it and they said they did stuff with thte computer for $216
nuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 13:31   #2
PeterV
HO5G Doyen & Zen Master

Whose tune? The Batt replacement should have NO effect on your ECUs tune

And why do you go to the stealer.... you have a 9 year old car..

The Battery is one of the few things you can still do your self.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || VCDS Locator ||
PeterV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 13:54   #3
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuga View Post
Does replacing your battery reset your ECU? I have a tune i dont' want to lose over a stupid battery. I went to the VW dealer in DC and thats what they were trying to tell me?

they were trying to install it and they said they did stuff with thte computer for $216
no, but the "did stuff to computer" may have wiped your tune
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 13:55   #4
nuga

rocket chip. I've heard that when you disconnect the battery a bunch of computer settings and such get reset.. I don't know what that means. And i do very little/no work on my car except oil changes and wipers and bulbs
Old November 19th, 2012, 17:08   #5
KLXD
Veteran Member

Are you saying they charged $216 to change the battery and you're looking to see if it's justified because they did "stuff"?

Or they did "stuff and now want $216 more?

What are you asking?

Current: ’02 Jetta, Auto; ’98 Jetta, 5 Spd; ’98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; ’84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): ’85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: ’85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; ’81 Rabbit, 1.6; ’80 Dasher, 1.5; ’79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 18:30   #6
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

If you're saying that the dealer charged you that much to change the battery you have been what's known as ripped off.

As said having the battery off wont change anything in the ecu at all, it has no effect. The ecu has memory in it more like what you'd find in a usb pen drive, you stick stuff on it then take it from one computer to another and your info is still there, it's exactly the same with your ecu.

I would asking for an exact list of what they did then post back for some advice.

Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 19:16   #7
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 Golf

If I recall, when I replaced my battery, I was worried about losing the radio and immobilizer (not sure where I'd heard that). So I just made sure to connect the new battery while keeping the old one connected (no disruption in continuity). I think I found out later that this was unneccesry (at least on a '04).
2004 Golf GL TDI -- Malone Tuned, Recaros, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass filter, A4 Defender skid plate, Whitedog intake hose fix, Check Temp III, FrostHeater with bumper mounted plug-in mod (details here), Ventectomy, LED trunk lighting mod.
OlyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 21:52   #8
nuga

they were saying they were going to do stuff to the computer... but didin't exaclty tell me what that was.

that said. It was 216 with battery installed... I am visiting my folks so i can't put it in myself. I'm basically asking how does replacing your battery affect anything on the car. or is it like any other car... no big deal..
Old November 19th, 2012, 22:16   #9
\/\/0J0
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: At least 3x that of my TJ

It should be like any other car. No big deal. It resets your presets on your radio and clears your trip meter. The cache is cleared on the ECU but your tune remains. If a tune was cleared out every time a battery was changed, then that would hold true for the stock tune and no one would be able to drive their cars after their batteries died. Your RC tune overwrites the stock tune; it lives in the same chip that the factory tune once occupied. I would be interested in what "stuff" they did to your ECU, though. Hopefully they didn't "upgrade" you to the latest stock tune.

99.5 Golf TDI 5spd
Notable Mods:RC5, PP764s, VNT17/22, StageII cam, 11mm, EuroJet SMIC, IDP OMI, 3bar MAP, 2.5" turbo-back, PD Lift Pump, SBC 2 End., GLI SportCloth, TDIClub License Plate Frame
"Those willing to trade Liberty for Security deserve neither" -Ben Franklin
\/\/0J0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 09:32   #10
nuga

thanks to be clear i didn't let them touch my car once they said they were going to do stuff to my computer...
Old November 20th, 2012, 09:57   #11
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

I guess I just don't understand why you don't just ask them to replace the battery and do nothing else. Or purchase the battery and find someone else to install it.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:54   #12
nuga

thats what i'm going to do... i just wanted to verify that nothing else happens when i replace the battery
Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:58   #13
nuga

Sometimes when the battery is run low or disconnected the throttle body and ECM will lose adaptation. This will cause a high or low idle and sometimes will cause a MIL to be illuminated. This mostly caused problems with 95-99/00 cars with cable driven throttle bodies. The throttle body was moved by a cable linked to the accelerator pedal but the body also has a sensor and a motor so the ECM can increase idle speed if needed. A factory scan tool or vagcom (www.ross-tech.com) scanner can perform the adaptation to reset this.

Also, earlier cars can have the radio go into SAFE mode until you put in the security code to unlock it. Likewise the windows will not auto up/down until you run them up and down a few times.

i found this in the vw forum
http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/s...e-consequences

thats why i am asking questions.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 08:51   #14
jetta ,97

Fuel Economy: 39 MPG 20%hwy,80% citi;48 MPG hwy

--TDI does not have throttle body.

--Radio code you may find instruction and CODE in owners manual book.but if you have 2004 model,CODE will not be lost. CAN BUS remember CODE and radio will work fine.

--Windows is very easy to reset,
Put key in cylinder lock and with all windows up unlock car and hold key to
unlock position. Windows will roll down.After they roll down lock car and hold key to lock position. Windows will go back up and they will be reset.
ECU TUNING-TDTUNING Authorized Dealer
YES I can Do It ,MK5 Needle Illumination

Last edited by jetta ,97; November 23rd, 2012 at 08:54.
jetta ,97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 11:09   #15
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

I've not lost the code on my 2003 pulling the battery, and have had to do so to get to the wiring channel under the airbox and such.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote