www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old March 18th, 2010, 10:41   #16
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom W.

Pulled out the headliner, scraped off the crapped out foam. Bought some headliner fabric off of Ebay- it comes with a new foam backing. $15. Sprayed the headliner w 3m headliner adhesive, laid down the fabric, re-installed. Looks brand new.
This is the correct approach. The spot repairs won't last for the reasons already mentioned.

There are places that sell the correct material for re-covering. It might be $100 for a roll.

This is the correct glue, I've seen it at Wally's:

dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 13:41   #17
JonDiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Akamatsu
I think the foam from my headliner is coming out of my heater vents.
My headliner is sagging also, and I have some kind of dark colored foamy stuff blowing out of my vents once in a while too. I have no idea how the headliner is possibly connected to the air conditioning / heating system... but I sure hope it's just headliner material blowing out and not something else that is part of the AC system going out.

01 - Jetta TDI - 118,000 mi, with a new 100K timing belt, water-pump, and associated other goodies from DieselGeeks.
JonDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 17:39   #18
pnocean2003

Default headliner sagging. How to fix?

I realize this is an old thread. I just took delivery of a very nice 2003 Jetta TDI Sportwagen. Met the truck in Northern Indiana up from Florida and did not notice the sagging headliner 'til I got the Jetta home. It is VERY nice, on ly 120K on it and everything works. The headliner is sagging right over the area behind the back seats. When I turned on the heat/fan, black bits of foam blew out of the vents.
How can the vent system be connected?
Any ideas on repair?
Thanks for keeping up a great website!
pnocean2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 17:55   #19
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnocean2003 View Post
I realize this is an old thread. I just took delivery of a very nice 2003 Jetta TDI Sportwagen. Met the truck in Northern Indiana up from Florida and did not notice the sagging headliner 'til I got the Jetta home. It is VERY nice, on ly 120K on it and everything works. The headliner is sagging right over the area behind the back seats. When I turned on the heat/fan, black bits of foam blew out of the vents.
How can the vent system be connected?
Any ideas on repair?
Thanks for keeping up a great website!
What's coming out your vents is the foam off the heater/AC blend doors. Welcome to sun/heat damage to nitrocellulose foam!
Malone tune, GTI Wheel with paddle shifters, Premium 8 Sound, Good camshaft & DMF, 155K miles, Black on Black, HIDs by Jeff, 4 new wheel bearings!
aja8888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 05:19   #20
nkfry
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 Spirited MPG

I reupholstered my headliner about a month ago and it wasn't a hard job at all. If you have time to watch a football game you have time to reupholster the head liner. I went to the local fabric store where they had headliner specific material, used 3M super 77 spray adhesive (DO NOT GET IT ON ANYTHING YOU DON'T WANT TO GLUE!!) and had a brand new looking headliner in less than 5 hours. Yes the pillars have to come off, but as stated its an easy removal, and while they're off you can cover them too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
03 Jetta GLS TDI: Malone Stage 4/ PP502's/ 11mm Pump/ GT1749VB/ SBC Stage 2 Endurance/ TACOTACO SMIC/ OMI/ AFE Pro Dry S/ TDI Heater/ 3" FP Back Exhaust/ 5% Tint/ Autometer Boost & Pyro/ BFI Stage I Mounts/ TT Short Shifter/ Whitbread Racepipe/ Ventectomy/ .658 Gear Set/ PD Intank Lift Pump/ CAT 2 Micron Fuel Filter/ VCDS
nkfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 05:44   #21
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
What's coming out your vents is the foam off the heater/AC blend doors. Welcome to sun/heat damage to nitrocellulose foam!
This, and other damage caused by the sun and heat is specifically why I park in the shade, whenever possible, and use a sun shade in the windshield when I can't. Headlight cover clouding and speaker cone disinegration is other damage I find.

--Nate
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:10   #22
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDJetta View Post
This, and other damage caused by the sun and heat is specifically why I park in the shade, whenever possible, and use a sun shade in the windshield when I can't. Headlight cover clouding and speaker cone disinegration is other damage I find.

--Nate
My 2000 was parked indoors in Texas all the years the PO had it (11 years). I leave it outdoors. My headliner is still OK but the door speakers are disintegrated (new ones on order) and the blend doors are probably completely foamless. I have to replace the heater core (currently bypassed) and when I get to that, I will fix the blend doors. Sun/heat is hard on the older cars, for sure.
Malone tune, GTI Wheel with paddle shifters, Premium 8 Sound, Good camshaft & DMF, 155K miles, Black on Black, HIDs by Jeff, 4 new wheel bearings!
aja8888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:41   #23
tongsli
Veteran Member

Mine is starting to peel at the sun visors as well. A new headlliner is $400, ouch. Don't need to deal with it right now. but eventually.

It'd be nice not to replace it with a fabric coated headliner. Wish there was a way to strip and finish the existing headliner with just a black paint.
RC 3.1,DG pipes,Bosio PP764, Forge SMIC,R32 airbox,FSI/OilLevelSensor,150PDTIP&MAF,Standheizung,Bilstein TCs,TT brakes,A3 strut bar,ESP,Folding Mirrors,Aero wipers,Headlight Washers,PDC,Bora Trunk switch,VR6 muffler,4-motion valance, OEM Skid Plate &HIDs,Custom Tails, Zender Spoiler,WE Power Seats,RNS2,MFSW,Anti-dazzle mirror,FIS,IRU,DWA,2nd OBDII,OEM Auto Window,P3 vent gauge
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 18:10   #24
EXEdotDMG

TDI(s): MKIV Jetta

Anyone have a link to a DIY for removing a headliner with sun roof?
EXEdotDMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 19:17   #25
volmaniac
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Golf GLS
Fuel Economy: around 50 mpg

We did a 99.5 jetta without a sunroof a bout 15 months ago and it took a couple of hours to 1) remove all the hardware 2) pull it out of the car (through the driver's side rear door, with the driver's seat moved and tilted up. Driver's seat removed would make it even easier.) 3) clean off all the old foam 4) glue down new foam 5) reinstall. I had a blast because my son did most of the work and he did a great job (he was 17 at the time).

There is a how to on the vortex for the jetta and youtube on how to install the generic liner. Cost for materials was around $50 (source of headliner was a local fabric shop, Joanne's IIRC).

Lito - the 02 golf is starting to do the same thing at the visors. Golf's would be a piece of cake to remove. Paint is an interesting idea but the new headliner was pretty sweet. (great to see you back on the forums again, you were missed and hope you enjoyed the sabbatical!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxracer1 View Post
Wars are fought over religion, money, land, and brand of injectors for a TDI

Last edited by volmaniac; November 12th, 2012 at 19:28.
volmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 08:11   #26
FordGuy100
Veteran Member

Just did mine. The only thing I would say, is go slow when putting the new fabric on. The oh-crap handle area's are a pain to get perfect, and the corners are semi tricky as well. I ended up with two creases in the o-crap handle area's. At least the new fabric is held in place though!

Still have to install.
Old November 17th, 2012, 16:11   #27
FordGuy100
Veteran Member

Got it put back in. In my haste I didnt cut the fabric where everything screws back in (handles, visor, etc...) it was fun trying to locate the holes
Old November 18th, 2012, 18:17   #28
lojosh

Fuel Economy: 40 mpg

I have the same problem with my headliner,and the owner before myself tried the glue and it did bleed through. Not a nice look. Maybe next summer I will try to replace it or get it replaced by a pro.
lojosh is offline   Reply With Quote