Definitive Battery Thread???

the*rogue

TDI
2002 Jetta Auto now a 6sp, 1986 (Non-TDI) Jetta
Called Dealer - 2002 Jetta

Called the dealer. Batteries in stock $143.75, guy said the part number was 000915105DH.

Does that part number seem right?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Called the dealer. Batteries in stock $143.75, guy said the part number was 000915105DH.

Does that part number seem right?
Should be able to buy two of the 94R batteries from Walmart, manufactured by the same company (Johnson Controls), for the same money the VW dealer is charging for just one battery.

I know there are issues with the Walmart warranty. But if you need a replacement, there are more Walmart stores than VW dealerships, and your battery is more likely to fail closer to a Walmart.

the*rogue

TDI
I guess my real question is:

Is the 1J0 915 105 AG being replaced (updated) with the 000 915 105 DH ?

Last edited:

the*rogue

TDI
It's funny. This post is on page 33 now.

If anyone takes the time to read it all the debate goes full circle - concerning Amp-Hours (AH)and CCA.

Anyway. For those that are still keeping score on this debate as of 11/10/11.

VW's Battery Part number 000 915 105 DH - $143.75

Walmart's MAXX 94R - $109.88

I bought the MAXX. Fits like a glove.

Salutes to my fellow veterans.:cool:

Tarl

TDI
2003 VW GOLF TDI
I went to the dealership and paid $125 for their replacement OEM battery. I was still running the original VARTA battery from 2003. :)

The new one has a part number change, but all the other specs are identical to the VARTA battery that the car came with.

5 yr warranty. I'm good to go!

TdiTaff

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Golf TDi 5Speed
Been researching this subject on and off for a while now, recently came across a site/post that listed the WalMart MAXX battery as 85Ah and Reserve Capacity is 130 minutes.
Apologies, I didn't record the address, if i come across it again i'll post it.

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Obviously the more CCA the better in the cold, but you can not sacrifice Ah for it. What good are extra CCAs for on a drained battery?
Running the glow plugs for 10-15 seconds won't drain a fully charged battery enough so it won't crank fast enough to start... You're making it seem like you have a constant drain on the battery for a few hours before starting.. If that were the case, you would need Ah AND CCA... In our application, CCA is more important in the cold..

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Running the glow plugs for 10-15 seconds won't drain a fully charged battery enough so it won't crank fast enough to start... You're making it seem like you have a constant drain on the battery for a few hours before starting.. If that were the case, you would need Ah AND CCA... In our application, CCA is more important in the cold..
So you would sacrifice the Ah required by the manufacturer for a few extra CCAs? I definitely would NOT. I don't think I ever read about anyone on this forum swapping their OEM battery for one with more CCA because the OEM one failed to deliver in cold climate.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yep.. I sacrificed 5Ah for 200cca... Mine always start fine when it's below 0F, so I think I did something right.. As of right now, the 99.5 has the "non-OEM" battery and the 03 has the wal-mart 94R.. The 99 cranks faster than the 03 when it's really cold out.. Both starters are about the same age (within a year) as are the batteries.. If I swap batteries from one to the other, the one with the 94R always cranks slower.. I got the "non-OEM" from the interstate guy for $45 too..

TDI
2000 Golf
What if you dont have that card?

No, just go back to your original radio card provided in your car's documents and enter the code listed into the radio.
What happens if you dont have the radio code card? im the second owner and the dealer I bought it at didnt provide an owners manual with my 2000 tdi GOLF.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
where can I get the radio code if I dont have the radio code card?
The dealer might be able to provide you with one. Since they're the one that sold you the car, you should ask them.

Yep.. I sacrificed 5Ah for 200cca... Mine always start fine when it's below 0F, so I think I did something right.. As of right now, the 99.5 has the "non-OEM" battery and the 03 has the wal-mart 94R.. The 99 cranks faster than the 03 when it's really cold out.. Both starters are about the same age (within a year) as are the batteries.. If I swap batteries from one to the other, the one with the 94R always cranks slower.. I got the "non-OEM" from the interstate guy for $45 too..
Is the walmart battery an oem battery?

I'm sure your battery with an extra 200cca starts your car very well in winter, but how long will it last you? There are many accounts of factory fitted batteries lasting a very long time. Not sure about non-oem batteries.

Last edited:

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
You wrote in part, "I know there are issues with the Walmart warranty."

What issues? I am aware that Walmaert among others do not warrant batteries for very long in power sports applications but am not aware of "issues" with warranties on Walmart brand batteries. Please explain.

Thank you.

Should be able to buy two of the 94R batteries from Walmart, manufactured by the same company (Johnson Controls), for the same money the VW dealer is charging for just one battery.

I know there are issues with the Walmart warranty. But if you need a replacement, there are more Walmart stores than VW dealerships, and your battery is more likely to fail closer to a Walmart.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
I just replaced my battery last weekend. It was original and 10 years old.
I had to cut the hold-down bolt off as the bottom (bolt underneath) was rusted and spinning freely.

I did not need a radio code, I just pulled the battery and then pulled the battery box and cleaned it all out. (I snapped one of the battery box bolts too, but there are still three so I think I am good).

After re-installing the battery box and battery, I inserted the key and started it up. No issues with windows, immobilizer, or radio.

Is there only certain years (of the TDI) that give grief when the battery is removed?

(side note, I bought the dealer battery for $135).

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
FWIW my car has been sitting in my parents' driveway for around two weeks now, and the other day I wanted to see how it would start up, in -18 degrees celcius. As soon as the glow plus lights went out, I turned the key, and it fired up instantly. Never seen my car start this fast before. OEM batter. :)

cp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Beetle
Okay, so does anyone have any experience with the NAPA Legend 75 battery? I did a search for that term, then scrolled through this trhead looking for red print and only found one post as a comoarison to autozone battery.

So, here's my issue. ONE: I'm done with Interstate Battery Products. I'm in need of my 4th battery since I bought my car in May of 04. After my OEM VW died in May of 05, I replaced it with an Interstate MTP 91, which I replaced under prorata warranty in Nov of 07. (Cost me about $40.) Now,. 3 years later, it's time for a new battery again. Interstate used to make a good product, but I guess not anymore.

TWO: I'm looking at either another VW battery, since the original went 4.5 years OR a NAPA Legend. The VW battery will likely only come with the typical dealership parts warranty of 12 months 12k miles, if that. The NAPA has an 85 month with 18 month free replacement. I feel like I need to buy a battery that I can get warranty service anywhere in the country. I'm headed back to Alaska in July, so that leaves me with NAPA or VW. (There are no Autozones or Discount Autoparts, etc. in Anchorage. I just bought tires late last year and had to refuse all of the road hazzard warranties becuase the chain where I bought them doesn't operate in AK.)

I'm leaning toward the NAPA for the warranty, but so many people have had good experiences with the VW battery.
I just bought a NAPA Legend 75 battery for our '06 TDI Beetle. It is about 1 1/2" shorter than the OEM 380A battery. For that reason, I'm not going to use it.

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
Unless things have changed recently neither Interstate or NAPA 'build' batteries. Both are marketers. Most automotive batteries offered for sale new in North America are built by one or more of three companies. Some marketers buy from more than one to assure ready suppli in the event of a plant shutdown, etc. Many are labeled in warehouses prior to shipment and phisically differ only in their labels, packaging, price and warranty details. I don't know whether VW imports or buys batteries for resale in NA.

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
Bump for a thread I've been looking for.

I need a new battery for my TDi.

Oem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 'oem' battery is fine. I can't tell you who builds it presently but I am fairly competent that it is built in the US and identical internally to other brands at various price and with varying warranty terms. I suggest that you look for the correct group size, capacity, warranty and price.

diesel_smoke

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Deep Blue
I purchased Wal-Marts Everstart Battery for my 2001 TDI.

Group 49
950 CA
775 CCA
81 AH

Model 49-1

Cant beat this "tank" and going strong now for 3yrs..

Oem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

Oem?
When I bought a replacement battery two years ago, I chose the Everstart 94R from Walmart. It had great specifications, an outstanding warranty, and was cheaper than any of the others I considered. I am pretty sure it was made by Johnson Controls. I've been very happy with the one I bought, and happy with the knowledge that if I ever need it replaced under warranty, there are thousands of stores that I can go to.

Since then I've heard that Walmart has raised its prices, and the warranty is not as long. But I still suggest that you check out the Walmart Everstart Maxx 94R first and then compare it to the others.

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
When I bought a replacement battery two years ago, I chose the Everstart 94R from Walmart. It had great specifications, an outstanding warranty, and was cheaper than any of the others I considered. I am pretty sure it was made by Johnson Controls. I've been very happy with the one I bought, and happy with the knowledge that if I ever need it replaced under warranty, there are thousands of stores that I can go to.

Since then I've heard that Walmart has raised its prices, and the warranty is not as long. But I still suggest that you check out the Walmart Everstart Maxx 94R first and then compare it to the others.
Unless new contracts have been let very recently, WalMart batteries are supplied by Exide and Johnson Controls.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I purchased Wal-Marts Everstart Battery for my 2001 TDI.
Group 49
950 CA
775 CCA
81 AH
Model 49-1
Cant beat this "tank" and going strong now for 3yrs..
You bought the gasser battery... The correct one for the diesel cars is the 94R..

EDIT: I messed that up a little... the 47 is the gasser battery..

Last edited: