www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010+)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010+) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010+) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old September 4th, 2012, 14:38   #1
elitegunslinger
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50.0
Default MK7 2014 Golf

http://jalopnik.com/5940315/2014-vol...olf-this-is-it

Does this mean a new TDI or possibly GTD in the US?
elitegunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 15:21   #2
whiplash willy
Veteran Member

I thought they were discontinuing the Shark Blue Metallic? (Which is the coolest color! )

Quote:
We have no technical details yet, but we don't expect many powertrain changes from the sixth generation car that is currently on sale. That means that the 2.5 liter 5-cylinder engine should make an appearance, along with a diesel
Yuck, I hoped VW would come to their senses and stop sticking us with that pile of garbage 2.5L they put in everything. A 1.4 or 1.8 TSI would be a much better base engine giving it some much needed efficiency.

NCS & DSG Free Since 5/5/12!
whiplash willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 16:48   #3
No More Buffalo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: see sig

Europe gets all kinds of colors we don't get.

For example, I went into their configuator for a Mk6 TDI

The color options are as follows:

Stock - Candy White

"Special Colors"
Black - 235€
Tornado Red - 135€

Metallic - All 520€

Glacier Blue
Reflex Silver
Shadow Blue
United Gray
Silver Leaf

"Pearl Effect" - 520€
Graphite Blue
Deep Black

For the rest of the colors, the metallics and pearls are 2,090€, and the others are 1,680€

"Blue Spectrum"

Blue
Blue Spirit Pearl
Dark Violet Pearl
Deep Blue Pearl
Inky Blue Pearl
Light Blue
Mercato Blue Metallic
Moonlight Blue
Moonlight Blue Pearl
Raven Blue Pearl
Silver Blue Metallic
Techno Blue Pearl
Ultramarine
Violet Touch Pearl

"Yellow Spectrum"
Yellow
Gorse Yellow

"Gray/Silver Spectrum"
Platinum Gray Metallic
Silver Gray Metallic
Urban Gray Metallic
Pewter Metallic

"Green Spectrum"

Bright Green Pearl
Cosmic Green Metallic
Mint Green
Racing Green
Reseda Green

"Red Spectrum"

Red 2000
Flash Red
Dark Burgandy Pearl

Kinda puts our selection to shame, doesn't it?

They also get the choice of beige or black cloth, or 5 different leather colors.

Last edited by No More Buffalo; September 4th, 2012 at 16:53.
No More Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 18:42   #4
nikhsub1
Veteran Member

Looks very evolutionary (as expected) I just hope there is not major decontenting like the MKVI Jetta
Old September 4th, 2012, 18:45   #5
No More Buffalo
Veteran Member

Wasn't that just a US/North American thing?

Aren't other-market Jetta's still full blooded?

EDIT: Wiki confirms

Quote:
In Europe, the Jetta maintains its luxurious small saloon status. The engine range comprise of the 1.2 TSI, 1.4 TSI (122 or 160 PS), 2.0 TSI, 1.6 TDI and 2.0 TDI engines.[113] The European version will differ in some respects, particularly in having multi-link suspension at the rear.[117] The European version will also incorporate soft-touch plastics on most of the dashboard (not the doors for this generation), and the rear seat center air vents have been restored.
Old September 4th, 2012, 19:08   #6
jni3
Veteran Member

nothing i've read about this specific car has details about what's coming to america. when that happens i will be more interested. if the gas companies/lobbyist possibly play a role in which models come to the u.s., then those great european models will probably never make it here.
jni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 19:08   #7
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash willy View Post
I thought they were discontinuing the Shark Blue Metallic? (Which is the coolest color! )

Yuck, I hoped VW would come to their senses and stop sticking us with that pile of garbage 2.5L they put in everything. A 1.4 or 1.8 TSI would be a much better base engine giving it some much needed efficiency.
Powertrains are changing. The current powertrains aren't part of the MQB platform structure. Doesn't mean they can't be made to fit, but the whole thing with MQB was to keep things interchangeable and that includes modular engine layouts.

The 1.4 TSI is a new design, not the same as the previous 1.4 TSI, to use the new modular engine layout. I doubt we'll see it in North America. (Jetta hybrid will use it but I've heard it will be the "old" 1.4 TSI, not the new one with cylinder de-activation ... too bad.)

The 1.6 and 2.0 TDI engines are also new designs using the new modular layout. All of the turbocharged engines, gas or diesel, are using air-to-liquid intercoolers, and that pretty much precludes the use of the older engine designs (with air-to-air intercoolers) unless they want to do something special to accommodate them, which would defeat the whole purpose of the MQB modular layout.

The 2.5 is supposed to be going away, to be replaced with the new EA888 1.8 TSI, and this has already been announced and it's in the same timeframe as the planned US introduction of the Golf 7, so it would stand to reason that the 2.5 goes away and the new 1.8 TSI shows up.

I'm pretty sure we'll see the 1.8 TSI as the base engine, the new 2.0 TDI available, and the 2.0 TSI as the new GTI engine.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 19:11   #8
MaddogTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
Looks very evolutionary (as expected) I just hope there is not major decontenting like the MKVI Jetta
I agree... looks are evolutionary and i think nicely done... but overall I believe the car will actually be quite revolutionary as the first VW to use the MQB platform. Slightly longer and wider and almost an inch lower... yet lighter by anywhere from 50-220 lbs (depending on which spy report you read).

Most of the reports I've read indicate US engine choices will be the new EA288 TDI variation (that is supposed to produce ~190hp / ~280 lb-ft) and a turbo charged 4 cylinder gasser to replace the current 2.5 liter. That's all still to be seen when VW finally fully unveils at the Paris show. GTI would get something bigger/faster.

Car and Driver reported back in march that they believe the mkvii GTD could be headed to the US at some point. Will be interesting to see if that fairy tale comes true.

As far as decontenting goes... Everything I've read indicates that's not happening... the golf being a "world car" (I.e., not a US only spec) and the fact that sales volumes of golfs are low here that a special US only version likely doesn't make sense (Jetta outsells the Golf by a factor of about 10:1 last I checked).

BioDiesel Mixture Table : http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=327822
MaddogTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 19:16   #9
nikhsub1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddogTDI View Post
I agree... looks are evolutionary and i think nicely done... but overall I believe the car will actually be quite revolutionary as the first VW to use the MQB platform. Slightly longer and wider and almost an inch lower... yet lighter by anywhere from 50-220 lbs (depending on which spy report you read).
Most of the reports I've read indicate US engine choices will be the new EA288 TDI variation (that is supposed to produce ~190hp / ~280 lb-ft) and a turbo charged 4 cylinder gasser to replace the current 2.5 liter. That's all still to be seen when VW finally fully unveils at the Paris show. GTI would get something bigger/faster.
Car and Driver reported back in march that they believe the mkvii GTD could be headed to the US at some point. Will be interesting to see if that fairy tale comes true.
As far as decontenting goes... Everything I've read indicates that's not happening... the golf being a "world car" (I.e., not a US only spec) and the fact that sales volumes of golfs are low here that a special US only version likely doesn't make sense (Jetta outsells the Golf by a factor of about 10:1 last I checked).
I'm hoping you are correct.
Old September 4th, 2012, 19:29   #10
No More Buffalo
Veteran Member

I wish somebody had a 2-dr shot. I much prefer the 2d to the 4d Mk6.
Old September 4th, 2012, 20:25   #11
gumaku1
Veteran Member

some good articles:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/04/s...ed-in-germany/

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...ARIS/120909959
gumaku1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 07:21   #12
BarnyardsTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Depends on my right foot

Ehhhhhhhhh Im not sure if I like it or not....
Old September 5th, 2012, 07:31   #13
nikhsub1
Veteran Member

Like I've said before, I'm giving this probably 2 model years before consideration.
Old September 5th, 2012, 11:19   #14
whiplash willy
Veteran Member

Yea, I wounder what issues the new TDI engines will have. It seems like every generation of TDI engine has it's own problems.

NCS & DSG Free Since 5/5/12!
whiplash willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 16:45   #15
TNriverjet
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW TDI
Fuel Economy: 39.5 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash willy View Post
Yea, I wounder what issues the new TDI engines will have. It seems like every generation of TDI engine has it's own problems.
Yet... We keep buying and driving them. We are a crazy bunch!

That's why I couldn't live w/o TDIClub.com.
2011 Trek Gary Fisher Paragon 29er
TNriverjet is offline   Reply With Quote