Which Clutch should I get

bcautosound

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
I have read many posts talking about the MKV clutches. My 2006 has 202000 miles and the clutch has been what I would call clattering for over 50000 miles. When I say clattering I mean when you let the clutch out it seems to shake the car as you ease it out to take off. If I didn't know that I knew how to drive a stick you would swear I didn't know how to drive. I am assuming this means the DMF is failing. My question is what kit should I go with. You read ten threads you get ten different answers. Cost is important since this car has over 200000 miles. However, I don't mind spending an extra $100 to get good parts. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
If there aren't any performance mods on the car, just pick up a Sachs kit with a 21 pound flywheel (or the similar Valeo kit or quiet clutch kit). If you want another DMF then pick up the LUK clutch and DMF kit.

Being stock leaves your options open.

05_new_jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
MKV Jetta TDI
go with the sachs kit for sure.. I have put many in and work very good, even on tuned cars. idparts has the kit you need!

gregert12

Veteran Member
TDI
That's seems a little silly when stock will cost more and be less dependable.

"Cost is important since this car has over 200000 miles"

The OP made it this far (mileage) and did not complain about the stock clutch, they why go with aftermarket that will have different catch/release/torque differences.

It seem to me that OP is satisfied with the stock clutch performance so if there are no complaints then there is no reason to upgrade.

Last edited:

V0lkswagEn

TDI
2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
i bought the vr6/g60 clutch kit from ecstuning.com costed 350.00 including shipping and my jetta has 190k on it so if you think 200k is a lot it would be for a gasser but not diesel

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE

CalibreTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 2012 Passat

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Question. Some people refer to a "SMF Conversion Kit". Do you need to get that in addition to the parts from the first link or is this it?
I believe you will need a bolt kit as some of the bolts are TTY (single use). You may need other parts like the clutch release lever, clip and ball. All depends if they are worn or not (I'd probably just replace them since your in there) id also change the trans fluid, unless it's been changed recently. All these parts are on the idparts page the clutch kit is on, just scroll down a little and you will see them.

V0lkswagEn

TDI
2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Go with the one from ecstuning its cheaper and its Sachs also u don't have to pay an extra 3 dollars for the alignment tool I paid 347.00 with free shipping came with everything need to change to a smf