www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old August 4th, 2012, 17:34   #16
PDJetta
Veteran Member

I remember when U-Haul rental trucks were equipped with manual transmissions. Its been so long I can't remember how many gears, but I think 4. I enjoyed shifting those without using the clutch. And I did not clash the gears either.

I also remmeber in the 1980 taking a tour in a motor coach (tour bus) that had a manual transmission.

--Nate
Old August 5th, 2012, 05:11   #17
hevster1

TDI(s): 98 NB
Fuel Economy: 40-42

One of my all time favorites was the Toyota Cressida 5 spd. I also loved the original 85 MR-2.
Currently 2 out of 3 are stick, not to mention the Motorcycles of course.
NJ's best shop performing Quality Repairs on TDI's, Toyota, Lexus, Scion and other European and Asian cars as well as Motorcycles & ATV's. Written warranty, reasonable prices. ASE L-1 & A-9 Master re-certified. NEW LOCATION: Montague NJ. Hunter Wheel Alignment. Snap-on Tire Service.I don't need to have specials, my prices are better already!
www.mmautocycle.com
hevster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 06:40   #18
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

Although, Honda's even working on DSG motorcycles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 06:57   #19
AlcoC420
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocharged798 View Post
Even VW is fading them out. Last time I checked my local dealer's web site, ONLY 1 out of some 8-10 TDIs were manual. Pretty disappointing.
We were fortunate to find our JSW on a local (U.S.) Dealer lot. My wife and I drive nothing but manual transmissions (we just enjoy it) and have had to otherwise special order every vehicle we have owned because of it. We plan our purchases, so don't mind the wait.

It's tough finding family cars like our JSW manufactured with a manual transmission option. Thankfully VW, Subaru, Hyundai, Kia and a small handful of others haven't forgotton that some Moms and Dads still enjoy rowing a gearbox.

Last edited by AlcoC420; August 5th, 2012 at 07:00.
AlcoC420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 07:52   #20
yo2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlcoC420 View Post
We were fortunate to find our JSW on a local (U.S.) Dealer lot. My wife and I drive nothing but manual transmissions (we just enjoy it) and have had to otherwise special order every vehicle we have owned because of it. We plan our purchases, so don't mind the wait.

It's tough finding family cars like our JSW manufactured with a manual transmission option. Thankfully VW, Subaru, Hyundai, Kia and a small handful of others haven't forgotton that some Moms and Dads still enjoy rowing a gearbox.
Same here on us luck into getting a manual trans on our JSW. In our stable we have, mk4 golf w/ 5 speed, now JSW w/ 6 speed, 1977 Chevy 3/4 ton truck w / 4 speed on the floor, and 74 Datsun 260z... Manual as well. We like to shift.

Subaru are switching to cvt trans now and dropping the manual trans. At least in Japan.
yo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 09:14   #21
VWBeamer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42.79 mpg Woot!

manual, diesel, wagon and AWD. Must have for next car. I'm waiting..
Old August 5th, 2012, 10:20   #22
German_1er_diesel
Veteran Member

TDI(s): BMW 118d

Easy... if you move to Europe.
Old August 5th, 2012, 10:22   #23
turbofan

I really don't feel like it is the dealerships' fault. These days, at least for VW dealers, the dealer doesn't really select which cars they get -- VWoA decides for them. Also, dealers don't care what people buy, onoy that they buy. I don't understand why some people think that dealerships have this hidden agenda to remove fun from the lives of the general populace. They only care about making money, and if you want to buy a manual transmission city bus they won't stop you as long as they make a commission.

I do believe, however, that it is the fault of the manufacturers in conjunction with the general populace. The manufacturers would rather not build and engineer a car that will sell in small numbers, so they stop. The trend towards more automatic vehicles is not due to the manufacturers' unwillingness to build them but because of people's unwillingness to buy them. Greater congestion and, probable a larger factor, greater indifference towards driving involvement (it's gotta he awfully hard to talk on the phone and do your makeup while driving if you have to shift too! Or eat a hamburger and shave...). People want cars to be comfortable, make them look good, and get them from.place to place. Add the fact that many new cars achieve greater fuel economy numbers with their automatic transmissions and it is very obvious why manuals are on the decline.

I don't think they will go away forever. But I think their availability will continue to decrease.
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 10:59   #24
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

I think that it also has a lot to do with who taught you to drive. When I was growing up, it was a sign of prosperity to be able to afford a new car with an automatic. We had a couple of old Volvos that were manual but those were in the scrap heap before I learned to drive. Only cars we had were autos. My wife taught me how to drive a manual with a 67 ford 2 door fairlane or 500 with a three on the tree. My first stick was our 82 subie that we bought as our wedding gift. From 90 - 2000, we only had autos but then bought the beetle, which I used to teach my oldest to drive. She is now driving the 03 passat with a 5 speed. I am starting to teach the youngest to drive my 07 canyon with a 5 speed stick.
Old August 5th, 2012, 15:23   #25
Turbojäger

Clearly there aren't massive amounts of people who want a car with a manual trans, but I feel like those who do REALLY want one, and are often disgusted and take their business elsewhere when they are informed that a non-slushbox model isn't available.

Hell, make it an option, just like the auto tranny is currently. I know the philosophy there is that an automatic transmission costs more to build, along with the outdated tradition of always having the auto the option, but when you build and sell way more of them than manuals... wouldn't keeping the manual as an option make more sense than doing away with it altogether?

I also hate the way that the American car-buying philosophy has negatively impacted the buyers ability to really get what they want, a manual transmission being a perfect example. Dealerships want to sell what they have on the lot, and that suits most people's needs because (apparently), Americans often buy cars on a whim after dropping by at a dealership. You hear this a lot, however nobody I know personally has ever done this...

Related to that, I do remain hopeful that my generation's tendencies (I'm 24) will help to change this. We research exactly what we want online, for the best features and price, and we're used to waiting a week for it to show up on our doorstep.

Additionally, we haven't yet amassed the financial resources of previous generations, and likely never will. There are fewer jobs available, those jobs pay less and are less secure, the cost of living and buying things will continue to rise, and many in my generation are starting out in life upwards of $20,000 in debt. We'll buy fewer new vehicles, and likely be much choosier about those we do buy.

Those factors lead me to believe that the American car-buying experience will eventually HAVE to become more of an order-based one, because the new generation of consumers will demand it, and there won't be enough people who can afford to impulse buy a car, at least not in the "normal car" price range, whatever that winds up being.

Back to the original topic: My girlfriend just bought a Fiat 500 Sport 5 speed. Long live the 3 pedal (and the cute girls that drive them)!!
RC3, PP520s, Whitbread fabricated 2.5" stainless DP and exhaust, Southbend stage 2 endurance clutch, new OEM axles, Audi TT bushings, Evolution skid plate, Bilstein Sport struts, Eibach springs, staggered 8.5 x 9.5 Corvette wheels, Frost Heater, Brembo rotors, Akebono brake pads, (D)eutschland oval magnet
Turbojäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 16:50   #26
jkowalski
Veteran Member

No manuals because how is the typical fat American supposed to have a double Whopper in one hand, his large Coke in the other, his cell phone pinned against his ear, AND be bothered to do something like shift?

*I love my manual.*
jkowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 16:50   #27
adimex

Fuel Economy: Your hwy MPG is my city MPG.

Manual = less maintenance/failure. Clutches aren't that bad to change.

Auto = more maintenance required (dsg maintenance is a rip off) and more prone to failure. If they break, usually more expensive to fix than replacing a clutch.

Therefore it is in the best interest for dealers/auto makers to sale something that will return some money in the end.
adimex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 17:01   #28
IndigoBlueWagon
Principal IDPartsVendor
w/Business number

Three out of 4 of my cars are manuals. My M-B 300D wasn't available with one, although I've contemplated doing a swap. The Mercedes is a pretty nice automatic, however, and not hampered by that pesky torque converter lockup.

Lots of cars that should be available with manuals aren't. Only base level Hondas and Toyotas, and only a few models, are available with manuals. And only smaller Korean cars are available with manuals. The Kia Optima, for example, isn't.

My 80 year-old mother refuses to drive an automatic. She had a manual RAV-4, oilhammer, and one of 75 manual Land Rover Discoveries imported to the US. Now drives Subarus because she can get manual transmissions in them. And my dog likes it fine. Keeps my smooth driving skills up.

I don't seem to get tired of driving manuals, but the limitations on cars available may get me in an automatic someday. I don't think there are any Mercedes-Benz manuals in the US. And very, very few Audis. Even BMW has fewer than they used to. Slim pickins.
Old August 5th, 2012, 18:34   #29
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

FWIW, here's the complete list of MB manuals in the US:

SLK250

Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 19:59   #30
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

Both have there advantages/places in the automotive world...

My TDI for sure I like the manual because the automatic option has a horrible reputation for reliability and gets ~10 MPG less than the manual option.

My Grand National I definately like the automatic - there's nothing like the 1-2 shift that you have to countersteer for

There are many fewer manual's available as mentioned previously. You can't get most vehicles in the USA with a manual anymore. If the customers don't buy them then why inventory the parts, have the platform designed around another significant change, etc? There's a lot more cost associated with all of this.

There have only been a couple automatic transmissions that really perform well and are almost always in the right gear at the right time
1) Allison behind an early 2007 Duramax
2) TH700R4 that I had behind my 5.7 Diesel that I spent countless hours tuning to get the shifts correct. Trimming governors, changing springs, adjusting TV valves, etc (what a pain)

- every other one is either one gear too high/low than I would choose if it were a manual.

There are and will continue to be a lot of manual transmissions sold outside of the USA for a long time - weather or not they will be available as new here in the USA (probably not ) is another issue.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP110 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, GTC1444VZ, 3 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ASV Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote