My 09' Jetta Lost its HPFP

straightliner

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Jetta
I thought i was going to miss any problems with my 09 High Pressure Fuel Pump since it hit 142,000 miles But i was WRONG! Engine Workshop flashed in the MFD and down it went. $8,120.00:eek: to repair from VW!!!!!! What really pisses me of is i was getting ready to trade it in and now this.
VW declined any assistance and it looks like my State Farm policy does not cover this?
It does not make any sense to spend $8k for a repair to a car that was worth $11,900.00 in trade towards a new car! And better yet i still owe money it!!!

Any advice from similar experiences?

Its no wonder VW is getting poor customer feedback!

Chris Rehtorik:mad:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I would calmly continue to pressure your dealer, etc. Did you move up the chain-of-command there? Talk with the service director? The owner of the dealership?

I would make them aware of your activities on this forum, maybe on Vortex, as well, your knowledge of the NHTSA investigation, fuel lubricity issues, etc. etc. They should know that you are aware this is an ongoing issue with the CR TDIs, and that you're aware there are others being covered out of warranty.

If calm reasoning doesn't work, you can become a local "activist" and let everyone in your area know of their decision NOT to cover this repair.

I assume you'll post in the HPFP sticky, and also report to NHTSA.

Sorry for your troubles. I'm curious, though...were you using an additive?

straightliner

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Jetta
Hello atlast,
I just posted in the sticky. I already moved through the dealer and VW directly. Next step is writing a letter.
Thank You,
Chris Rehtorik

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
This is a really tough situation and hard to give advice on until you're in the same exact situation. I would totally exhaust all avenues with VW before I would take on paying for the repairs myself.

I would be more than glad to help you start the repairs as I'm off work right now and free,but there are some components that are above my mechanical knowledge as to replacement. You will also need the timing tools. Its a pretty big undertaking doing a complete fuel system replacement. One member that was a diesel mechanic was going to do the fuel system replacement himself and then opted to have an independent garage do the work.

Your best bet right now is to try and put a little pressure on VW to cover the repair cost.

Its a tough one and I'm not sure what I'd do in the same situation.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
If vw does not help, consider replacing hpfp and sending injectors and rail to an injection shop to be cleaned. Clean out tank and fuel filter. You may be the first to do a shade tree hpfp fix.

Any shops set up to clean out CR injectors, maybe put new nozzles in?

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If vw does not help, consider replacing hpfp and sending injectors and rail to an injection shop to be cleaned. Clean out tank and fuel filter. You may be the first to do a shade tree hpfp fix.

Any shops set up to clean out CR injectors, maybe put new nozzles in?

I'm not sure that is good advice. For one thing there isn't anything special about the rail. Its just a straight hunk of metal with holes in each end and ports for fuel lines and acts as a manifold for the fuel lines.

I'd be more concerened with other fuel system components than the rail.

Without a complete fuel system replacement there are risk involved. A quick shade tree fix may not allow it to run long enough to make it to a dealer to make the trade on another car.

Lots of components could be cleaned,but may not be clean enough for long term service. So, if getting it to run long enough to trade it off and keep cost down is the main concern. It could be done,but not without some risk.

Last edited:

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
You might want to contact the Texas law firm who at one time had the class action suit against VW. See what they say.

Well, this is what many have feared, a pump failing at 100k, 150k miles not covered and making the car virtually worthless and certainly not worth fixing as there's no guarantee it won't happen again. Purchasing a 2009 TDI even with the $1300 tax credit and 150k miles of fuel savings benefits won't offset the $8k repair bill (shame on you VW).

dweisel, I think you got out ahead of the curve.;)

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Here you go:

Office Address
Simon Herbert McClelland & Stiles LLP
3411 Richmond Avenue, Suite 400
Houston, TX 77046

Main Tel: 713.987.7100 Main Fax: 713.987.7120

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
But not by choice.My wife and I loved everything about the 09's.Thats what makes this such a tough choice. I was forced out after having the second failure. Had we not had the second failure,we'd still be driving both of the 09's thinking............................. Its not going to happen to me!

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
To the OP. If your intent is to just trade off the car the second you get it running. You can probably clean most of the parts good enough to get it running long enough to trade it. The key word here is probably. Lots of unknowns here. One of those unknowns is the condition of the hpfp.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
But not by choice.My wife and I loved everything about the 09's.Thats what makes this such a tough choice. I was forced out after having the second failure. Had we not had the second failure,we'd still be driving both of the 09's thinking............................. Its not going to happen to me!
What I meant was had you stayed in after the second failure, you would have been closer on the curve where VW stops covering the failure. So, maybe being forced was not bad. If VW covers the failures, then other than inconvenience it's no big deal. But it won't take many failures like this to affect market value. I doubt most would want to buy a used 2009 TDI with 140k miles if there is even a small liklihood of a $8k repair.

Last edited:

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
You might want to contact the Texas law firm who at one time had the class action suit against VW. See what they say.

Well, this is what many have feared, a pump failing at 100k, 150k miles not covered and making the car virtually worthless and certainly not worth fixing as there's no guarantee it won't happen again. Purchasing a 2009 TDI even with the $1300 tax credit and 150k miles of fuel savings benefits won't offset the $8k repair bill (shame on you VW).

I've said that a number of times. Pretty much when the HPFP implodes at 150k plus miles the Jetta TDI is a throw away car as VW prob won't cover the $8,000 plus repair bill.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What I meant was had you stayed in after the second failure, you would have been closer on the curve where VW stops covering the failure. So, maybe being forced was not bad. If VW covers the failures, then other than inconvenience it's no big deal. But it won't take many failures like this to affect market value. I doubt most would want to buy a used 2009 TDI with 140k miles if there is even a small liklihood of a $8k repair.
I don't think its that well known of a problem yet. Most dealerships still pass off failures as misfuels. Unless it hits a major news network,I think it will remain a dirty little secret for awhile longer. Misfuels,bad diesel and a number of other reasons for failures,but never the real reason. How about that 2012 Passat tdi? Great car with ZERO hpfp failures reported here. Too bad VW didn't put the same effort into the early CR's.

Its cases like the OP is up against that really hurt.

straightliner

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Jetta
First off- Thank You everybody for taking the time to read and reply to my post! I have been on here for nearly 6 years and i have read all about the different issues with the Mark V and newer Mark VI. There is a serious design issue with the fuel system that VW apparently does not want to address! They have been failing in the 09,10,11 and now there are reports of the 2012's failing! I am told they all have the same part number and now VW has a part number for remanufactured HPFP's.

I believe my only option is to- Take apart the fuel system myself and completely clean it and buy the replacement fuel pumps(3) and injectors and get it back on the road! I dont think i will be keeping it and i know i wont buy another VW product again!!!!!

Dwiesel-Yes you are correct I am in a tough position. I work in sales and i drive approx.45,000 miles per year and thats why i have bought these cars in the past. These cars are not worth **** now because of all the reports and others will soon find this out when its time to get rid of there current before they go out of warranty. They still could be up for argument as VW has denied replacement even during the warranty period!

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
I've heard of hpfp failures at relatively high mileage, well beyond warranty that VW covered for repair. It would be helpful to know what the upper limit of mileage is before they will stick you with the $8K bill. The idea of prophylactic hpfp change at 100K or 120K miles is beginning to sound logical, or trading for another vehicle. Not sure what makes more financial sense. If word gets out that there is a significant probability of a catastrophic failure in these cars that have greater than 100K miles, their trade in value will be minimal. I love my 2010s, but I need to be practical. I'll be certain to keep the quart of B100 for each fill up in the meantime. Straightliner, I hope there is a solution for you from VW on this.

straightliner

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Jetta
Good Morning All,
I used Power Service additive in approx (1) tank per month. I know they claim it helps lubricity but that stuff smells like some sort of Solvent! It's possible there is sulfur in it, but who knows?
At every Fuel Filter change i would separate the pleats in the filter looking for anything metalic and it was always clean! When the HPFP failed and the Engine Workshop light turned on the car ran for 10 more minutes TOP and then was down for the count!

I dont get why VW randomly selects who they are going to help with the fuel system replacement? But reading back through the "Sticky" they denied owners coverage even when the car was under 100,000 miles and some even when they were still under the factory warranty! It does not make any sense!! But what does make sense is there is a serious design flaw with the fuel system that allows COMPLETE fuel system failure from one single external component failure and the fact that the HPFP fails at uncertain mileages. Some failures when the car has under 20,000 miles and some with higher miles.

When i visited the VW dealer the week before my HPFP failure to look at new models the salesman first question was "Has the fuel pump failed during my ownership"? The answer was NO, Why? "Because they have had some problems with them" It was evident that they were very cautious because they came back with a $6,000 trade in value for my Jetta! He obviously read my expression and quickly said maybe we can get that up to $7,500.00!! I said I am sorry but thats not even close to where i need to be. Infact i owe more than that on my loan!!! All he said was I am sorry! and i replied yes, I am sorry too and away i went. Not even a "Wait lets talk about this" and not even a follow up call! My car does have 142,000 miles on it and its ALL highway. There is not a single mark on it and i am often told "I cant believe your car has that many miles it" I replaced the front and rear brakes at 100,000 miles just to have then done and there was still pad left on them. At the car wash, the kids ask me if my odometer is in Kilometers?
So yes, the word is out on these cars and there value is in the Toilet!

straightliner

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Jetta
I've heard of hpfp failures at relatively high mileage, well beyond warranty that VW covered for repair. It would be helpful to know what the upper limit of mileage is before they will stick you with the $8K bill. The idea of prophylactic hpfp change at 100K or 120K miles is beginning to sound logical, or trading for another vehicle. Not sure what makes more financial sense. If word gets out that there is a significant probability of a catastrophic failure in these cars that have greater than 100K miles, their trade in value will be minimal. I love my 2010s, but I need to be practical. I'll be certain to keep the quart of B100 for each fill up in the meantime. Straightliner, I hope there is a solution for you from VW on this.
VW said " I am sorry, There is nothing we can do for you" "I am sorry"

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
You are correct!
I'm prob correct but not very happy about it and that's the reason why I traded in my 09 TDI at 42,500 miles.

A great and fun car to drive, but I had originally planned on keeping her for 10 years and at that point would have had over 200,000 miles on her. If the hpfp imploded I felt VW wouldn't have covered it and my really only choice would have been to call a truck to tow it away for scrap or parts.

The one big thing that I miss about her is the torque. Pretty mcuh the Cruze has none compared to the Jetta TDI.

Sorry to say that your story is prob the first of many to come when the TDI has high mileage and VW feels that the hpfp has outlived it;s life.

straightliner

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Jetta
I'm prob correct but not very happy about it and that's the reason why I traded in my 09 TDI at 42,500 miles.

A great and fun car to drive, but I had originally planned on keeping her for 10 years and at that point would have had over 200,000 miles on her. If the hpfp imploded I felt VW wouldn't have covered it and my really only choice would have been to call a truck to tow it away for scrap or parts.

The one big thing that I miss about her is the torque. Pretty mcuh the Cruze has none compared to the Jetta TDI.

Sorry to say that your story is prob the first of many to come when the TDI has high mileage and VW feels that the hpfp has outlived it;s life.
The Chevy Cruze is a good looking car! It is smaller but i would consider driving one! O'h i think the fuel economy is about the same as the Jetta?

Yes it is low on torque but its also a gasoline engine and to compare it to a diesel is not a fair comparison. I really like the RS 2LT package but the ford Fusion is larger and has much better rebates going right now.

The only way VW is going to change their business practice is for everybody to speak out about the failures and a possible class action law suit! Its a matter of time but sooner or later will come.

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
The Chevy Cruze is a good looking car! It is smaller but i would consider driving one! O'h i think the fuel economy is about the same as the Jetta?

Yes it is low on torque but its also a gasoline engine and to compare it to a diesel is not a fair comparison. I really like the RS 2LT package but the ford Fusion is larger and has much better rebates going right now.

The only way VW is going to change their business practice is for everybody to speak out about the failures and a possible class action law suit! Its a matter of time but sooner or later will come.
I have a 2012 2LT RS 6M and it doesn't feel smaller to me, but then again I just might be used to it after 5 months. I'm also getting 36.1mpg and it's slowly going up. No what what car you're looking for if you're a member of USAA they usually have great prices and rebates. That's another reason why I bought the Cruze. Paid @$19,500 OTD and that was also after a $750 USAA rebate.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
straightliner-
my condolences. This thread is exactly why I can no longer recommend a VW purchase to friends or family.

If VW were to publically acknowledge the issue, and be transparent on how they are addressing it, then faith begins to be restored. Since we don't know that they've identified the root cause of the problem and dealt with it, we cannot know that the issue is definitively fixed. We wont even know if the Passat is clear of the issue for awhile, so can't recommend those either. Much of this is resolved by VW telling us root cause and steps taken to mitigate the issue.

I don't want to get into the failure rate, because the issue is that the failure is so catastrophic that it is an $8K repair- not that it only occurs 0.5, or 0.05% of the time. The bottom line is that we do know of failures occurring with additives and without mis-fueling with gasoline. For some reason we are not seeing reports from Europe, so maybe it is some subtlety with the fuel available to us over here. We just don't know...
:(

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
For some reason we are not seeing reports from Europe, so maybe it is some subtlety with the fuel available to us over here. We just don't know...
:(
I thought the European version has a different style pump, but I may be mistaken.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
straightliner-
my condolences. This thread is exactly why I can no longer recommend a VW purchase to friends or family.
I agree. I have been holding out hope that this HPFP issue will be resolved prior to our warranty running out. I am confident that I would be able to get it fixed under the drivetrain warranty up to the 5 year/60k cut-off (which will end up being a 2-3 year cut off for our JSW. But once we are out of warranty I think that car is going to feel like a ticking time bomb if VWOA haven't owned the issue at that point.

The low failure rate and warranty are what has me sleeping well at night even with a possible $8k fix looming. But once that warranty is gone it will be harder to ignore.

To the OP, best of luck finding a resolution. I would make as big a stink as I possibly could. Make VWOA take notice of you and the main point that I would hammer is the extent of the damage. No single component failure should cost 1/3 of a new cars value to repair. Period. Your mileage at the time of failure is irrelevant.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've said that a number of times. Pretty much when the HPFP implodes at 150k plus miles the Jetta TDI is a throw away car as VW prob won't cover the $8,000 plus repair bill.

You are correct!
I guess its time to come up with a DIYS QUICK FIX HPFP,FUEL SYSTEM REPLACEMENT/CLEANING thread for owners that want to fix and trade their CR VW when the hpfp fails.

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
X2

Same thing from me except I traded at 39K miles so I didn't also have to take the hit of a DSG 40k service after my hpfp failure at 36k.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Straightliner, if your only intent is to get the car running long enough to trade it off. You may be able to get away with just cleaning out the metal particles from most of the components. Of course some will have to be replaced depending on the amount of metal contamination. The hpfp may also not be completely destroyed. If you remove the plastic cap on the hpfp and the torx bolts holding the high pressure part of the pump and lift it out you should be able to view what condition the roller/cam and bore is in. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=297730
As far as replacing the in tank fuel sending unit. I'd just clean it and test it for proper operation. The aux boost pump should be okay too. Just flush it with clean fuel and observe what does or doesn't come out. Flush all fuel and injector lines. Critical parts to make double sure they are clear and clean of all metal contamination are: Fuel pressure sensor (G247) and Fuel pressure regulator (N276) on the ends of the rail. One key thing and unknown is "what effect or damage has been done to the injectors?" They may be fine short term. We don't know yet.

The hpfp should be looked at separately to determine damage. There are components you can remove from it to check for metal contamination: Fuel quantity valve,fuel return valve and the high pressure part of the pump.

Good luck.
dweisel