www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old June 12th, 2012, 01:17   #46
sgoldste01
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCT View Post
It's really about your needs sgoldste01. I'm driving a 2002 Golf ALH with 263,000 miles and it's still running the original turbo, down pipe, injector pump, radiator fans, radiator, heater core, transmission, starter, etc... Heck I replaced the original battery at 240,000 miles and it was still in perfect working order. But the tricky question is, was I lucky?

Any new vehicle should last 200,000 miles easily. I think the MK6 could last that long. The two items on the menu which ward caution are, HPFP and the CAT-System. If both of those go, that's $15,000 in repairs. Any company that creates an $8,000 emission exhaust system should be mentally committed. How can a car company make money when forced to develop that type of technology? Dayum, my inspection is visual on these cars. There's not even pipe test other than "looking" for smoke during inspection once a year. Is that worth $8k if not enforced?
So I've been stuck in a loop trying to decide what to do with my TDI. I'd like to dump it because I don't trust it outside of warranty, but I'm not thrilled with any of the alternatives (with the 2012 Focus and Impreza highest on my list. Impreza is slow and loud. And I can't convince myself that I like the Focus' center stack, or trust its reliability).

Then I just got a thought: Why not buy an MK5 gasser Rabbit (non-GTI)? They seem to be reliable, and they don't have the complexities of turbo and diesel. Wouldn't that give me the driving dynamics and build quality I like in my TDI, without much of the future grief and expense?

Something like this, perhaps:

http://www.luxuryautofinder.com/vehi...illinois-60510

Yes, the fuel economy would pale in comparison to a TDI. But expensive repairs will seem to outweigh the fuel savings over time.

I'd consider an MK6 gasser Golf, but they don't seem to come configured the way I want (4 door with a manual tranny).

Hmmm....

Last edited by sgoldste01; June 12th, 2012 at 01:19.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 06:28   #47
veedubfreak
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 golf

The gasser is a boring engine. The TDI gives you great mileage and great driveability. Those high mpg gassers have no balls whatsoever. The TDI really is the only car on the market that gives you both. If you plan to keep the car for a good length of time, I suggest getting the VW extended warranty out to 7/100 and then putting a car payment away every month after the car is paid off. That's my plan, but then again, I'll probably trade up for something new before my 7/100 is out as I don't really put tons of miles on the car a year and 7 years is about the time I start to get bored with a car.
veedubfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 06:47   #48
sgoldste01
Veteran Member

I think I'm willing to take a little less excitement in exchange for a lot more dependability. I know the TDI is great in terms of its combination of power and fuel economy. But the fuel economy is worthless if you end up spending thousands of dollars on TDI repairs over the life of the car.

You might get away with it by trading in the car within 100k miles. But I want to keep the car for twice that long, and I just don't think this TDI will be economical if kept for that duration. This is disappointing, because one of the perceived benefits of a diesel vehicle is long-term durability.

I know that any car will need repairs over 150k - 200k miles, but not every car model's repairs will be as spendy as those of a CR TDI. If the costs of keeping a CR TDI on the road over 150k miles was similar to doing the same with a non-CR TDI car, I'd keep my TDI.
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:07   #49
eparker202
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47, 47.1

dont forget about the cost of getting rid of your tdi
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:20   #50
LandCruiser
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eparker202 View Post
Historically these cars have strong resale values, probably stronger if oil prices was still going up, right now...it's probably not the "best" time to sell.

These cars are more for hobbyist...I wouldn't recommend a TDI for somebody that just wants a relatively trouble free car. Even in my two short years of ownership, I had things like, broken keyfob (~2 months into ownership), cubby coin door broken (~3 months), and moody sunroof (~3 months). I was able to look past most of it but still, that shouldn't happen to a new car.

Last edited by LandCruiser; June 12th, 2012 at 12:25.
LandCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:30   #51
sgoldste01
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eparker202 View Post
Yes, I've been thinking of that. To minimize my loss, I plan to do a private sale myself, rather than trading it in. My research leads me to believe that I can get $21k for my car's configuration (30k miles, winter package, HID headlights, sunroof, etc.). I will offer my snow tires/wheels/TPMS sensors and Panzer to the buyer of my car for additional $$; if the buyer isn't interested, I'll sell those items on Vortex.

I bought the car for $25k (not including tax). Back in early 2010 when I bought the car, I was able to receive a $1300 government rebate for buying an alternate fuel vehicle, bringing my cost down to $23700. VWoA is compensating me for my fuel leak grief by making a 1-month payment toward my loan, which is $760 (I took out a 3-year loan). So that brings my effective price of the car down to $22940.

So if I'm right about being able to private-sale my car for $21k, then I will only have paid $2k for the privilege of driving my TDI for the past 30k miles. If I'm being optimistic about what I can sell it for, then my cost of ownership will go up accordingly. I would then use the money from the sale to pay off the balance of my TDI loan, and then use what's left as a down payment on whatever I replace it with.

The dealerships I've visited so far have quoted $16,500 trade-in value toward my TDI. I told them to forget it.
Old June 12th, 2012, 15:58   #52
about2buyTDI

TDI(s): 2012 JSW 2.0
Fuel Economy: [URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/myjsw/jetta][IMG]http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/smallsig-us/133373.png[/IMG][/URL]
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Historically these cars have strong resale values, probably stronger if oil prices was still going up, right now...it's probably not the "best" time to sell.

These cars are more for hobbyist...I wouldn't recommend a TDI for somebody that just wants a relatively trouble free car. Even in my two short years of ownership, I had things like, broken keyfob (~2 months into ownership), cubby coin door broken (~3 months), and moody sunroof (~3 months). I was able to look past most of it but still, that shouldn't happen to a new car.
I have to say, the consensus seems to be to take a pass on purchasing this car. I was hoping for more positive comments. Given the many choices buyers have and some competitors working hard to improve reliability, I'm surprised by the quantity and variety of problems being reported. Is VW indifferent to these issues?

Anyone out there able to offer a more positive ownership experience?
about2buyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 16:20   #53
Softrockrenegade
Veteran Member

The best quality of these cars is how much fun they are to drive ! I can't speak for problem free as iv had problems since 1400 miles and with the metal in my fuel filter I see even more down the road ...
Old June 12th, 2012, 16:24   #54
IndigoBlueWagon
Principal IDPartsVendor
w/Business number

It's true that the tone of this site is pretty negative when it comes to the newest TDIs. I think the combination of the expense of a HPFP failure, despite its apparent infrequency, along with the de-contenting of the Jetta Sedan, and the seemingly lower FE of the new cars has made folks sour.

Look at it another way. The Sportwagen is pretty much unique in the market. Other than Audi and Volvo, I don't think anyone has a small wagon available. And no one has a wagon that will deliver anything approaching 40 MPG. These cars are great to drive, the Sportwagen and Golf have better interior finishes than many similarly priced cars, and overall owners have had relatively few problems. Any car forum will emphasize the negative.

If you don't get the Sportwagen, then what? If it's the diesel that you're worried about, you could look at an A3 2.0T. I'm not a big fan of the 2.5, but that's another option and there are folks here that have gone that route.
Old June 12th, 2012, 16:30   #55
sgoldste01
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by about2buyTDI View Post
How long are you hoping to keep the car? This is a huge factor. And what's your budget? How financially willing to support this car are you?

The Golf TDI is a fantastic car. It's the most well-rounded car in its class, in terms of handling, acceleration, fuel economy, styling, quality of materials, features, and so on. It's a very cool car.

But it's not super reliable due to its complexities. To make a diesel meet the environmental requirements of all 50 states, especially NY and CA, is quite an engineering trick. That engineering trickiness requires a lot of complexity, and with that complexity comes lower reliability and higher repair costs.

If you're willing to live with the risks, the breakdowns, and the expense in order to drive such a cool car that's more well-rounded than any of the competition, then go for it.

I'm not willing to live with the risks, breakdowns, and expense. So I'm planning to dump my TDI (before the warranty runs out) in exchange for a car that I won't enjoy driving as much as I enjoy driving my TDI. So be it. A fun car to drive isn't a fun car to drive if it leaves you stranded on the side of the road. And the lack of fun only increases if the dealership (or independent repair shop) hands you a 4-digit bill.
Old June 12th, 2012, 17:29   #56
BrianCT
Veteran Member

TDI(s): TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by about2buyTDI View Post
I have a friend who bought my per-order June 2009 MY2010 Golf MK6 because at the time I wasn't ready to purchase it. That's when there was an announcement that the Golf TDI was coming to town [Summer of 2009].

Anyway, he took delivery. He had the local dealership perform all oil change service [6k, 10k, 20k and 30k]. He does not use an additive and lives in New England with cold winters. The car is flawless. Never an issue with anything other than some light fraying of the driver's seat. He's completely satisfied with his purchase. Now with 60k on it, he's happier and happier.

Myself, I have the 2011 model year. Same exact configurations. I love the overall feel of the car and modified it somewhat with a rear sway bar and other "stuff." I have 8,000 miles after almost 2 years ownership. I just don't drive it enough. There are literary hundreds of recent model year TDI's in my area of Connecticut. I've spoken to many and most have dealership service. Very few if any have ever had issues with anything.

Over all, I think the instances of failures are limited. You just have to really eyeball the build quality upon delivery and if having any issues with the build quality ...make certain you have all that addressed.

I really love the car. I also love the MK4 I own too. But in retrospect ...I really drive so very little now a days to justify purchasing a diesel let alone a car at all.

sent from an iThong™
BrianCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 18:38   #57
sgoldste01
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCT View Post
You just have to really eyeball the build quality upon delivery and if having any issues with the build quality ...make certain you have all that addressed.
Really? How can you eyeball an HPFP problem, or an intercooler problem, or a DPF problem, or (unique to me) a fuel line that's going to be fine for 30k miles, and then leak all over the place?
Old June 12th, 2012, 18:55   #58
BrianCT
Veteran Member

TDI(s): TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
Really? How can you eyeball an HPFP problem, or an intercooler problem, or a DPF problem, or (unique to me) a fuel line that's going to be fine for 30k miles, and then leak all over the place?
You can't over come the failure of the HPFP. If you have metal fragments in your fuel filtre ...you have issues. If someone is bringing their NEW vehicle to Volkswagen for free maintenance service, I'd expect that VW [with 3 service calls] would discover or solve issues as they arise. I haven't had intercooler issues, nor my friend but then again, there are hundreds of these cars roaming around in Connecticut. Each time there are cold days you'd expect to see stalled or seized roadside CR 2009-2012 model years stranded ...but we don't. I don't see dealerships full of HPFP seizures either.

Maybe with time? Maybe with miles? Maybe? Maybe?

Maybe not.

sent from an iThong™
BrianCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:11   #59
ksing44
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
Then I just got a thought: Why not buy an MK5 gasser Rabbit (non-GTI)? They seem to be reliable, and they don't have the complexities of turbo and diesel. Wouldn't that give me the driving dynamics and build quality I like in my TDI, without much of the future grief and expense?
I got my son a slightly used 2010 Jetta 2.5 gasser. It was the last year they had the MKV Jetta. It may take some shopping, but you can find them with the same RCD510 radio and even with a MDI for the iPod. I really liked the car, when I drove it for a month before giving it to my son as a surprise. The bluetooth is only for outgoing calls, there are no steering wheel controls, and it has a simplistic MFD, but it really is a nice car. It also isn't as sporty feeling as the Golf TDI, but it uses regular gas! The trunk is huge and the seats fold like the Golf. The engine is more like a tractor or something, but still endearing in a way.

Honestly, however, if you're thinking about another VW, I think you should get a slightly used MKVI GTI. That you can get with everything just like the TDI and it handles even better! If I bailed on the TDI, I think I'd try a slightly used GTI. That would be a way to cut the losses and get something that is the most similar to the car I like to drive now. I have looked, but so far I have not found the configuration I want. I'd also say the MKVI Golf 2.5 gasser, but they seem so stripped.

Good luck and so sorry about your troubles with the TDI!
2010 Golf TDI - Blue (BGM), 4-Dr, 6-M, Sunroof, Xenon, Dynaudio, Nav (RNS-510), Euro light switch, 9W7 BT, R Tinted LED Tail Lights, Monte Carlo 17" x 7.5" ET47 Wheels, 235/45/17 Tires, P3Cars Digital Interface

Flickr slideshow
ksing44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 06:01   #60
sgoldste01
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksing44 View Post
Good luck and so sorry about your troubles with the TDI!
Thanks!

Are you thinking about dumping the TDI for a GTI? My concerns about this would be:
  • GTI reliability. Consumer Reports shows that MK6 GTIs have problems with Body Hardware and Power Equipment. Why these issues would be greater on an MK6 GTI than on an MK6 TDI is unclear to me.
  • Complexity. Is the GTI less complex than a TDI? I know it wouldn't have the DPF and HPFP. They both have turbos, but I'm not aware of intercooler icing issues on the GTI (or do they have that issue too?). Does the GTI have a complex EGR system like on the TDI?
  • I assume the insurance on a GTI would be higher than on a TDI, but I could be wrong about that.
  • Fuelly shows fuel economy averages of around 28 mpg. I don't know what kind of fuel economy a GTI could get if it was cruising at a reasonable speed on an extended highway trip.

Thoughts?