www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old June 8th, 2012, 06:05   #16
an60an
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
BMW i8 - Google it.

Doesn't use a diesel engine but there's no reason that it couldn't be.

It's going into production.

BUT ... we don't yet know what the price tag is going to be.

I like it a lot, but I have a funny feeling that I won't like the price tag.
Your question answered
"The new 2014 BMW i8 should be in showrooms in the fall of 2013. It may cost between $350,000 and $400,000."

http://www.ubur2.com/2014-bmw-i8-rev...e-release-date
an60an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 06:14   #17
Masonjar
Veteran Member

There are two types of diesel electric used in locomotives. The "traditional" set-up, as described above ^^^, and a "newer" technology that uses a much smaller diesel generator that runs constantly, always charging a large bank of batteries. The electric traction motors draw from the bank of batteries as needed, rather than having a much larger generator spool up to meet demand as required. This is the "green goat" approach that has been talked about for yard switchers for a few years now.

It sounds similar to what the Prius and other hybrids now do with the power generated by braking being stored to for future use from the battery bank, rather than just being dumped as heat loss.

Andrew
Old June 8th, 2012, 07:25   #18
steffen707
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
BMW i8 - Google it.

Doesn't use a diesel engine but there's no reason that it couldn't be.

It's going into production.

BUT ... we don't yet know what the price tag is going to be.

I like it a lot, but I have a funny feeling that I won't like the price tag.
Or VW XL1, 313mpg
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...L1-review.html

Just because the guy is a dreamer doesn't mean that his ideas couldn't be put to fruition with a TON OF MONEY. I don't know why he was banned, but whatever. Sometimes its fun to dream, I usually do it thinking about winning the lottery, not how i'm going to waste my lottery winnings on fuel economy.
Old June 8th, 2012, 07:31   #19
steffen707
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGuy100 View Post
I always wondered why they have not come out with a diesel-electric system like they use on locomotives. Perhaps it wouldnt be as efficient (it certainly would add weight), but I would think it would help, especially at lower speeds (where it takes less hp to accelerate/maintain speed.
I've heard on other forums that diesel/hybrids are coming, and are better than gas hybrids, but they're more expensive. Gas engines are cheaper to make than diesel, so add on the cost of the hybrid setup, plus the increase in diesel engine, and its like a doubly expensive hybrid.

EDIT:
I stand corrected, guess some manufacturers already have them, i bet they're expensive though. Also i think many americans still have the thought that diesel is bad and pollutes more than gasoline.

Last edited by steffen707; June 8th, 2012 at 07:34.
steffen707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 07:32   #20
MikeMars
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffen707 View Post
I don't know why he was banned, but whatever. ...
I suspect it was to do with trying to sell $100 blueprints of the plans off the forum. But that's just speculation since I'm not a mod thankfully :-)

Audi A2 TDi 1.4*, 6M/0.588, mild aero mods, 103hp remap (* 3 pot version of 1.9PD)
Y2000 Passat TDi 115 PD RETIRED, M5, Best 75MPGuk, usually 60-70. 900m clubx7. 1000 mile clubx3.
VW Fuel saving tips
MikeMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 07:42   #21
steffen707
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMars View Post
I suspect it was to do with trying to sell $100 blueprints of the plans off the forum. But that's just speculation since I'm not a mod thankfully :-)
LOL, Caveat emptor people. No $100 plans are going to get you 150mpg street legal kit car.
Old June 8th, 2012, 07:49   #22
Padrino
Veteran Member

Quote:

EDIT:
I stand corrected, guess some manufacturers already have them, i bet they're expensive though. Also i think many americans still have the thought that diesel is bad and pollutes more than gasoline.
Well they are not that much more expensive than the rest.
The example I've given earlier for Peugeot 3008 in the UK they don't seems to have that much of a difference, yes they are the most expensive on the line but not that much:

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/p...rsions/25890-7

Don't look the prices as exchange rates, think them as $1.00 = 1.00
What you could buy for a $1000.00 bucks here, you could get in the UK for a 1000.00.

Bottom line: New Diesel/Hybrid car that returns 61MPG US for under $30 000 is a bargain in my book

Vivere senza rimpianti
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3RToBymttA
Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 07:50   #23
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

Depends on the state, and depends on how many wheels it has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 08:14   #24
steffen707
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino View Post

Bottom line: New Diesel/Hybrid car that returns 61MPG US for under $30 000 is a bargain in my book
Yeah that would be very nice. The volt is like $40,000 isn't it?
Old June 8th, 2012, 08:18   #25
Padrino
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yeah that would be very nice. The volt is like $40,000 isn't it?
And this is before you start replacing battery

Vivere senza rimpianti
Old June 8th, 2012, 08:39   #26
steffen707
Veteran Member

I dunno, there are lots of prius owners out there with over 150,000 miles on the original battery.
Old June 8th, 2012, 08:44   #27
FordGuy100
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonjar View Post
There are two types of diesel electric used in locomotives. The "traditional" set-up, as described above ^^^, and a "newer" technology that uses a much smaller diesel generator that runs constantly, always charging a large bank of batteries. The electric traction motors draw from the bank of batteries as needed, rather than having a much larger generator spool up to meet demand as required. This is the "green goat" approach that has been talked about for yard switchers for a few years now.

It sounds similar to what the Prius and other hybrids now do with the power generated by braking being stored to for future use from the battery bank, rather than just being dumped as heat loss.

Andrew
The second setup you are refering to is more of what I was thinking. The only drawback I can see is long drives with many hills (think driving through the rockies). You would eventually draw down the batteries and then you would be stuck at the HP the small diesel engine made at peak, minus the efficiency loss to the electric motors.
Old June 8th, 2012, 08:48   #28
MikeMars
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino View Post

Hmm, I don't know. I was expecting it to be much better. There are loads of non-hybrid diesel cars which do more than 61mpg-us on the NEDC (which is more optimistic than the EPA).

Audi A2 TDi 1.4*, 6M/0.588, mild aero mods, 103hp remap (* 3 pot version of 1.9PD)
Y2000 Passat TDi 115 PD RETIRED, M5, Best 75MPGuk, usually 60-70. 900m clubx7. 1000 mile clubx3.
VW Fuel saving tips
MikeMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 08:59   #29
Padrino
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMars View Post
Hmm, I don't know. I was expecting it to be much better. There are loads of non-hybrid diesel cars which do more than 61mpg-us on the NEDC (which is more optimistic than the EPA).
Mike, we are looking at a different markets here. Today in Europe you could by gas powered car that will do 60MPG US, but a car like this will never, ever sell in the US.
Citroen C1 1.4HDI comes to mind with 70MPG, On the gas front how about this odd duck Toyota Aygo 1.0 lt VVTI returning almost 62MPG (imperial) but they both will never be sold in the US.

Vivere senza rimpianti
Old June 8th, 2012, 09:29   #30
DPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5- 47 Forester, 49-55 Peugeot

Mike, how many AWD-capable automatic mini-MPVs do you know that'll turn in those figures?
DPM is offline   Reply With Quote