www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:06   #16
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardLD50 View Post
Answer to the thread: No, No we are not cool with that. Buy brake pads, not transmissions.
Speak for yourself. As I already explained, the DSG has wet clutches, rev matches and downshifts itself automatically anyway (no extra shift cycles added by downshifting in tip mode).
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 21:29   #17
MaynardLD50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner View Post
And rotors... don't forget them either, when you do brake pads. Is this your first Volkswagen?
Yes I'm learning as fast as I can
MaynardLD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 21:37   #18
Niner
duplicate account, banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardLD50 View Post
Yes I'm learning as fast as I can
It's not as bad as it seems, unless you are a bad driver. I've gotten 130k miles out of a set of brake pads on my TDI. Conservative use of brakes leads to conservative repair bills, Liberal use of brakes leads to liberal repair bills. It's really that simple. Conserve your transmission and brakes if you don't like big expensive repair bills. Drive your car nicely, not abusively.
Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 13:02   #19
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
Speak for yourself. As I already explained, the DSG has wet clutches, rev matches and downshifts itself automatically anyway (no extra shift cycles added by downshifting in tip mode).
Quoted for extra emphasis.

How many people actually grasp the concept of REV-MATCHING anyway?

When a DSG downshifts, the moment the clutches are disengaged, the engine computer tells the injectors to fire more fuel, automatically raising the engine RPMs higher to the exact point required for the next lowest gear that you've just selected, then it engages the next clutch for said selected gear. The amount of slipping the clutch is negligible.

I do this manually with my own MANUAL transmission cars when downshifting. The moment I press in the clutch, I blip the throttle pedal with my right foot, raising the engine RPMs to the approximate point they need to be at for the gear I'm selecting, then release the clutch in one quick, smooth motion. If you get the engine RPMs just right, you can release the clutch completely and instantly with no slipping and it will be absolutely smooth. No jerking.

The DSG is simply doing this for you. It's more noticeable on gas cars with a loud exhaust, you can actually HEAR the engine revving up for that split second as it shifts. This is how it can perform the downshifts so incredibly fast all while being perfectly smooth. It doesn't make the clutches bring the engine up to RPM, it has the engine bring the RPMs up itself, then VERY QUICKLY engages the clutch.
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:26   #20
tdi90hp
Veteran Member

DSGs scare me....baby these babies are gonna cost some serious bread when they puke....brakes are cheaper....but each driver has his own set of circumstances...i serviced golf yesterday....45,000kms...6 speed.....checked the brakes...over 90% on fronts and close to 90 on rears....it's how you drive and look ahead in traffic that counts more....
tdi90hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:18   #21
CalibreTDI
Veteran Member

The engine breaking on my 2012 Passat seems excessive (lack of a better word). At lower speeds when coasting to a stop the lower gears seem to engage somewhat prematurely. I'm not a mechanic so I just base my observations on that - my observations. I think from a safety perspective this is great - maybe it's just something you have to get used to. However, on the way up, from 1 to 6, the car shifts like a boss. Last time I drove an automatic was back in the early 90s, some topaz or tempo. :-) Man, these new auto trannys sure came a long way.
My wife drives the passat, I drive a manual jetta. The passat is a car and a half, much more comfortable but the downshifting is definietely something I have to get used to.

Calibre
Old May 30th, 2012, 09:22   #22
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Fuel Economy: see signature

It's necessary for the trans to downshift in order to keep a gear engaged while you're slowing down. If it just went into neutral, you'd have a delay as it selected the correct gear and re-engaged should you decide to accelerate again - then people would complain about it "hunting" or being sluggish.
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote