www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old May 10th, 2012, 11:18   #511
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooyajerms View Post
Jason, I wanted to see a better video when I saw that one!
I found another one actually.. I think there were only 2 people that recorded it, both with iPhones.. I thought they took better quality videos but I guess not.. I'm spoiled by my DroidX LOL..

Here's the other one.. http://youtu.be/63vXSBk5Ouw
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:43   #512
leon10tagg
Veteran Member

If we're in the game of black reek you need to check out my passat on the dyno......beats that hands down.....haha....

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop...yyzfWYnI&gl=GB
01 Golf Tdi, FMIC, CR1756 turbo, PD intake, EGR delete, BV, modified intake, 80mm MAF, turbo back 2.5" Milltek, 11mm IP, R520s, 3bar MAP, TD tuning box, PD130 O/C,Spax adj's, Eibach A/R bars, powerflex bushings, 312mm discs, top and bottom strut braces
04 Passat AWX, 98 Impreza turbo, 97 A4 1.8T sport
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=298788

Last edited by leon10tagg; May 10th, 2012 at 11:49.
leon10tagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:53   #513
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

Don't nock the iPhone, nock the people behind them who don't know how to use them. The dyno videos that several of us recorded for a few GTG's down here were mostly done on iPhone. Mine turned out a bit better than others though.

Jeremy, when I have the equipment to mount my 7D in and outside the car, we'll do some more vids. The video is naturally soft and I'm still working out on some technical details of packaging it after processing.
Old May 10th, 2012, 13:15   #514
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Ya I know the iPhone can take pretty decent video, but I take every chance I get to make fun of Apple.. My DroidX doesn't really take any better video than a 4s, but I know how to use it LOL..
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:55   #515
kooyajerms
grocery getter

Fuel Economy: 39 MPG mixed @75MPH

I catered a dyno day on Mother's day (horrible car guys!) at the local FSR Motorsports shop for a BMW site. They ran out of m powered and supercharged monsters, so they threw me up on the dyno. You can see my catering equipment in the back as we dyno'd. I wasn't planning on it, so I didn't have vag com, or a vid camera with me. Impromptu dyno! At least the datalogger was there.

Boostvalve
I was having trouble making a home made boost valve work for the longest time. We made a couple, bench tested them, and they would bleed at partial/midway boost. Causing some extra lag. So I gave up on them. I got a real boostvalve in, and it seems to be doing it's job now. I didn't think the homemade would be a problem, but it seems there is a seat cut for the bearing that I we didn't account for. I had even bench tested another members boost valve a while back and it was acting funny too. I'll need to take real logs to prove it that spec and actual are meeting correctly.

Dynojet
I had to get a dyno run in here since its been the main dyno we've been using. Lower than I expected, but I guess that Mustang and this Dynojet are pretty close. The WCF that was a concern about wasn't really that off.

First two runs, the valve was clipping it too early, and causing the boost to go a bit funky as it was underboosting then correcting.
#3 run is the good run that the boost valve held 32psi all the way through.

IAT hit max maybe 120*F
EMP was 1:1, got to 40PSI by 5000rpm
Smoke is a bit darker then some other runs I've had, but I think theres some relation to the reset timing (regular advance timing) we had on there. My phone's video ate it.

dynorun #1

dynorun #2

dynorun #3 203whp/320ft-lbs

all runs
kooyajerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:42   #516
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 35mpg Avg / B4: 41mpg Avg

Jeremy,
That's nice work!

I'd like to see the car in person! One of these days, we'll meet up.

Great numbers, even for an impromptu dyno run!

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG, 35MPG avg; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW, Jake, 15.5MPG avg, 47kmiles; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! 204k miles, Avg 42mpg / best 48.9mpg, Troubleshooting Links: Whitedog's No Start Trusted TDI Mechanics A4 Limp Mode IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:56   #517
kooyajerms
grocery getter

Jfettig has some concerns about the flatness of the torque. We need to figure out if the boostvalve is messing with fueling and timing adversely.

I need a replacement vag com cable, mine went bust.
Old May 14th, 2012, 13:00   #518
JFettig

TDI(s): B5 Passat
Fuel Economy: 42 MPG

I Have some concerns about the flatness of the torque. Jeremy should figure out if the boostvalve is messing with fueling and timing adversely.

I just think he can get more torque
ECU Socketing
DIY injector calibration http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=383324

Last edited by JFettig; May 14th, 2012 at 13:05.
JFettig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 13:16   #519
Rub87
Veteran Member

guess its better for the package if the torque isnt as high but goes on longer, like trying not the let the power fall off after =)
Old May 14th, 2012, 13:31   #520
kooyajerms
grocery getter

Of course, as long as thats really what was happening on the dyno. Looking at the other dynos, the torque would hit and drop off like normal. Unless the boostvalve is cutting fueling/timing in a strange way, need the logs to tell.

No gains, but I wasn't really planning the dyno. Just happened.
Old May 14th, 2012, 13:35   #521
robnitro
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooyajerms View Post
Jfettig has some concerns about the flatness of the torque. We need to figure out if the boostvalve is messing with fueling and timing adversely.

I need a replacement vag com cable, mine went bust.

Even though I run a boost valve (set to 26 psi, on my 23psi tune), there are issues that come into play by the nature of our vacuum based system that slow spool with a boost valve.

Example: Let's say you are setting the boost valve at 32 psi, with max boost in tune at 30 psi.
Mid range, ECU calls for 50% duty cycle, let's say that is -14" H2O (-7 psi) to the actuator. The boost valve is set to 32 PSI, but is popping open at 32-7= 25psi because of the differential of pressure between the vacuum and the boost pressure, so the VNT is getting less vacuum than the ECU is demanding, causing slower spool.

But, if you are getting the same max boost in that range, I doubt the boost valve is changing your fueling because you are getting the same airflow.
Old May 14th, 2012, 13:39   #522
Rub87
Veteran Member

at 4k fueling starts to be limited below 3050 mbar
Old May 15th, 2012, 00:56   #523
ryanp

Get rid of the boost valve IMO, if its a source of problems tuning it properly will be easier tham faffing around!!

02M 6 Speed Conversions + Euro Parts - 6 Speed Setups for A4 + A5 platform,PD150 Intakes, TIP kits, Turbo's, Injectors as well as anything else!! PM Me! - Click HERE
ryanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 06:17   #524
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
Even though I run a boost valve (set to 26 psi, on my 23psi tune), there are issues that come into play by the nature of our vacuum based system that slow spool with a boost valve.

Example: Let's say you are setting the boost valve at 32 psi, with max boost in tune at 30 psi.
Mid range, ECU calls for 50% duty cycle, let's say that is -14" H2O (-7 psi) to the actuator. The boost valve is set to 32 PSI, but is popping open at 32-7= 25psi because of the differential of pressure between the vacuum and the boost pressure, so the VNT is getting less vacuum than the ECU is demanding, causing slower spool.

But, if you are getting the same max boost in that range, I doubt the boost valve is changing your fueling because you are getting the same airflow.

I never noticed a difference in spool with mine, or any others I've set up.. Once the turbo starts making decent boost, you won't get lag at 25psi.. Lag is the delay between when you hit it and when boost starts really ramping up.. Once you're up to 25 the rate of increase won't really slow down enough for you to notice.. What it DOES do is slightly reduce the ramp time as you get close your target boost so it doesn't go too far over.. I was able to set mine up so the boost gauge would snap up to 2psi over target and settle right on target..
Old May 18th, 2012, 18:44   #525
temporaptor
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44 MPG

Hows the Tuning turning out? any butt dyno gains?

TDTuning stage 3+,Scott Tweaked, boost valve, Titan 520's, 11mm, RyanP 02M EFF, DG Sigma 6 short shifter, TT bushings, VDO Boost, and NewSouth EGT, Mufflerectomy. 135.86 WHP 269.74 ft. lbs. on a DynoJet. SSBMWO
temporaptor is offline   Reply With Quote