www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old January 30th, 2010, 04:11   #16
ssnapier
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: roughly 42 mpg, but I drive hard!

I had a penny stuck in the outlet under the climate controls... and I think mine was fuse #42 or something crazy. No more change goes in the cubby now!
Old January 30th, 2010, 11:33   #17
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

Fuse 42 sounds kinda familiar for the later build date that I didn't research for my earlier post....................
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; January 30th, 2010 at 12:14.
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 21:29   #18
GolfTDI2001

TDI(s): Golf

My 2001 tdi 12v power plug in dashboard burned when unplug it, I change the fuse and plug in GPS, it works, but when I unplug it, the fuse burned. I checked there isnt anything in the hole, what might cause the problem?
GolfTDI2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 11:02   #19
adamant628
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45ish

My 03 wagon had a 30A fuse in spot #35 for the rear, and a 15A fuse for the cigarette lighter. (#35 was an icon of the book)
Old May 9th, 2010, 20:33   #20
tfink

Wow, all three of my outlets were dead, a quick search on TDI Club brought me to this thread. I read that there could be a penny (or something) stuck in one of the outlets. As crazy as I thought this sounded... sure enough, a penny was stuck in the outlet in my coin cubby (by the way this was a pain to get out - TIP: small guage stiff wire with the tip bent at 90 degrees to pull it up enough to grab with needle nose pliers worked like a charm - it took me a while to figure this out). And then there was the crazy notion that the fuse box diagram in the manual was wrong... sure enough, it was wrong. The blown fuse was in 41 or 42 not 24 or 26. Workin' like a champ now.

Thanks a million to all of you on this thread!!
Old May 15th, 2012, 06:06   #21
vwowner82

TDI(s): VW JETTA 07

Yep it is definitely fuse 42 for the 12V power outlet! I too got a penny in the socket in the ash tray. I don't get why the manual that came with the car is so off when it comes to which fuse is which.
vwowner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 07:11   #22
ssnapier
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: roughly 42 mpg, but I drive hard!

Along these same lines, has anyone re-wired these outlets to remain constantly hot? I have not had the time or motivation to date, but if anyone has done it I would love to hear your insight!
Old May 16th, 2012, 12:26   #23
meerschm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: twice what my chevy used to get
Exclamation do not over fuse

If the fuse blows when you disconnect the GPS, the cord may have a problem. my wife was using a splitter (to allow cell phone and gps at the same time) the splitter was shorting out, so blew the fuse. was a hit and miss thing. you can check continuity of the cord (or lack therof) with the cord disconnected if you have a meter. play with it and you may find an intermittent short.

do not use a larger fuse, unless you want some smoke and melted wires (sooner or later)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 09:52   #24
wwm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 32-38

Which fuse is 42 it shows I don't have a 42. All three of my outlets are out but all the fuses show they are in working order.
wwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2013, 14:52   #25
ssamalin
Veteran Member

Fuse 42 and all fuses are ok. Still no power. This has been out for years. The last few days my "headlamp out" light came on but all my lights are ok. I have decades of battles with car wiring that are making me paranoid here. So far there is no serious problems, but it all creeps me out good.

Last edited by ssamalin; October 21st, 2013 at 12:30.
ssamalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 06:23   #26
ssamalin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwm View Post
Which fuse is 42 it shows I don't have a 42. All three of my outlets are out but all the fuses show they are in working order.
42 is the second from bottom row, third from rear fuse, the instrument fuse box, 20 amp (yellow). There's 2 fuse boxes, one in the engine and the one with the 12v outlets fuse: the driver side dash facing the door.

See "Here is the fusebox on a 2010 Jetta TDI" at the bottom. You have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/m...etrofit-vw.htm

Last edited by ssamalin; October 21st, 2013 at 12:41.
ssamalin is offline   Reply With Quote