www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old June 10th, 2012, 11:00   #5086
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Yes I am home with MityVac. Busy for a while doing window boxes for my Georgia Peach but I am here. Text me I sent you my phone number in a PM so we can meet today if you want just name the place.
Wavetrac LSD, PP520's with RC4, VNT17/22, Flying Kasper FMIC 3" OMI, Whitbread 2.5" downpipe, PD lift pump, South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch, steel skid plate, Wingnut inspired EGR mod, MyCruiseAgent no drill EGT, MoGolf skidplate mod
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 11:12   #5087
toastblows
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/48/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Chris View Post
Yes I am home with MityVac. Busy for a while doing window boxes for my Georgia Peach but I am here. Text me I sent you my phone number in a PM so we can meet today if you want just name the place.
Sent you a txt message.

Retired - 2003 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd - 51/48/40mpg
toastblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 16:22   #5088
toastblows
Veteran Member

Borrowed a MityVac. FF is fuel. Pumped in over 1 can of Diesel Purge into the IP with the mightly vac. Cranked. Sounded more promising that before, got close to 400 RPM. Let it sit. Cranked a minute later same thing 300-400 RPM but would not turn over.

Loosened Inj #3 a 1/2 turn and cranked. Diesel just bubbled out, not sprayed like I wouldve expected.

Diagnosis: IP shot? If So what does someone (like GG) charge to replace that?

Old June 10th, 2012, 16:28   #5089
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (528k miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeker View Post
TR- Is the vibration only felt during accel? If you were in the thick of tte vibration and let off the throttlewould it go away?
I don't think so. Since the transmission was just rebuilt last week, is there anything in the transmission that rotates as the same speed as the engine, or at a fixed ratio to engine speed regardless of which gear is selected?

I don't think it is a vibration in the exhaust system, and 99% sure it is not engine related. But I am concerned and would appreciate a first, second, and third opinion.
'03 Golf with 528k miles: Kerma Bosio PP520, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Koni Reds, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Hakkapeliittas, always Mobil 1 TDT
Foobert's TDI Hunt -- all Craigslist TDI ads nationwide -- TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 17:25   #5090
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

Well the input shaft spins at engine rpm.

I really have a hard time trusting cheap axles. I would suspect them or possible mount misalignment before I would suspect an internal trans issue.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me MY CALENDAR
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 18:09   #5091
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (528k miles)

Quote:
Well the input shaft spins at engine rpm.
I really have a hard time trusting cheap axles. I would suspect them or possible mount misalignment before I would suspect an internal trans issue.
Ahhh... but this "vibration" happens at a certain engine speed, not vehicle speed.
'03 Golf with 528k miles: Kerma Bosio PP520, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Koni Reds, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Hakkapeliittas, always Mobil 1 TDT
Foobert's TDI Hunt -- all Craigslist TDI ads nationwide -- TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 20:20   #5092
toastblows
Veteran Member

Put Ohm meter on 200, put it on the fuel shut off solenoid. 8.7 at rest.

Additionally I jumped it from the battery pos term with a wire, clicks on and off. Sounds like its clicks on and off when the cranking the ignition as well

Last edited by toastblows; June 10th, 2012 at 20:45.
Old June 10th, 2012, 21:44   #5093
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

Lordy I hope you're not out working in the rain...
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me MY CALENDAR
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 22:00   #5094
toastblows
Veteran Member

Quote:
Lordy I hope you're not out working in the rain...
i only do electrical work outside when it rains.

Cant say i dont secretly hope that tree out front falls on my car during this storm. case closed

Old June 11th, 2012, 06:13   #5095
SpamJ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/45/30

TB.

Stupid question, Do you have voltage at the shut off solenoid?
SpamJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 06:28   #5096
toastblows
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamJ View Post
TB.

Stupid question, Do you have voltage at the shut off solenoid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastblows View Post

Additionally I jumped it from the battery pos term with a wire, clicks on and off. Sounds like its clicks on and off when the cranking the ignition as well
So is that how you test it? Set the meter to the 200 ohm setting, red on solenoid, black on something unpainted to ground it.....? if so its 8.1, 8.3, 8.7 which isnt 12 when the car key is in the run setting. If thats not how i test, let me know

Old June 11th, 2012, 06:39   #5097
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastblows View Post

From the Bentley Manual:

Clean the area around the fuel shut-off valve and remove the valve, o-grin, spring, and plunger. Some fuel will come out.

Clean and inspect solenoid plunger and seat. Slide plunger into the valve and check for free movement. If plunger does not move freely replace valve assembly.

Carefully check for dirt and metal particles in valve bore of injection pump. The slightest amount of debris will cause malfunctions.

Reinstall torque to 30 ft-lb.

As you had to apply vacuum for a long time to get fuel into the pump that says the pump was empty. So why the pump has no fuel in it is the question we are trying to answer here.
Wavetrac LSD, PP520's with RC4, VNT17/22, Flying Kasper FMIC 3" OMI, Whitbread 2.5" downpipe, PD lift pump, South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch, steel skid plate, Wingnut inspired EGR mod, MyCruiseAgent no drill EGT, MoGolf skidplate mod
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 08:16   #5098
toastblows
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Chris View Post
From the Bentley Manual:

Clean the area around the fuel shut-off valve and remove the valve, o-grin, spring, and plunger. Some fuel will come out.

Clean and inspect solenoid plunger and seat. Slide plunger into the valve and check for free movement. If plunger does not move freely replace valve assembly.

Carefully check for dirt and metal particles in valve bore of injection pump. The slightest amount of debris will cause malfunctions.

Reinstall torque to 30 ft-lb.

As you had to apply vacuum for a long time to get fuel into the pump that says the pump was empty. So why the pump has no fuel in it is the question we are trying to answer here.
Ok I will try that. Probably wont get free time with the wife working nights and 2 kids and it being in the street (i.e. no light where it is after 8 pm) until wednesday. If i can get them in bed by 7 either tonight or tomorrow I might be able to squeeze an hour max...sucks.

After about 20 minutes when i texted you i reinspected all the hoses from the FF to IP i had taken off in the last couple days. The intake into the IP from the FF (which was connected to Dpurge) was not sitting fully on the connector. I had removed it on sat to just hook up longer hoses i had laying around that fit on the IP nipples. Once we found that and connected it fully (after i texted you those 2 or 3 times about "air" problems or whatever)....it took maybe 5-10 minutes to get that 1 can + of DPurge into the IP and get a nice flow of it coming out the otherside with practically no bubbles.

Since Im running out of time....i might have to do the unthinkable and haul it to a stealership. blasphomy I know, but there doesnt seem to be any diesel mechanics or shops close to here according to this forums list that anyone trusts and im not going to call one out of the phonebook I dont know. (east side of St. Paul for refence to everyone). (I see there was a thread 10+ years ago talking about Leightons or Diesel & Import Auto / Truck Service.....anyone use them in the 10+ years since this thread was created? http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=31743)

Last edited by toastblows; June 11th, 2012 at 09:01.
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:14   #5099
Losha
Veteran Member

Toastblows, have you pulled your IP case pressure relief valve out and checked make sure internals haven't fall out? Here is link to what I'm referring to http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/VE_...tor_Repair.pdf

If you want give a call sometime this evening and tell me bit more detailed on whats going on then will see if we can figure out whats happening.

Malone Tuning Dealer for SD, ND NE, IA, MN
'06 Jetta TDI DSG - Malone tune, Bilsteins B6, H&R Sport Springs, GLI front end, HID
Losha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:19   #5100
Losha
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoRed View Post
Ahhh... but this "vibration" happens at a certain engine speed, not vehicle speed.
Hehe, i warned you about those aftermarket axles. BTW I was right that he (Chad) is probably using the same aftermarket axles as everybody else, since there are only couple options available.

Anyway this vibration thing does it happens at any given speed or gear at certain RPM's? share bit more details on what exactly happening.

Malone Tuning Dealer for SD, ND NE, IA, MN
'06 Jetta TDI DSG - Malone tune, Bilsteins B6, H&R Sport Springs, GLI front end, HID
Losha is offline   Reply With Quote