What did you do to your car today?

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
The turbo I got is a gt2052v. Is that considered a gtb or not? :confused:
No - I'm no turbo expert, but I think it goes like this in the Garrett family.

GT "generation" - what came stock on ALH's (VNT15), ASV's (VNT17), etc. ~15 year old turbo design

GTA was the next generation - don't know of any applications for them off hand

GTB is the latest generation as found on the Toureg's, Volvo's, Mercedes, etc in the last 2-3 model years

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
No - I'm no turbo expert, but I think it goes like this in the Garrett family.

GT "generation" - what came stock on ALH's (VNT15), ASV's (VNT17), etc. ~15 year old turbo design

GTA was the next generation - don't know of any applications for them off hand

GTB is the latest generation as found on the Toureg's, Volvo's, Mercedes, etc in the last 2-3 model years
That looks about right :)

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Finally I got around to getting a dyno on my '06 BRM that I've been upgrading with much help from CEVANS, Jeff of RocketChip, Peter at IDParts and George, Panoramica and my good friends at Rennen along with RyanP who provided upgraded injectors (PD 150's)

Here's a link to the dyno itself:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=3428472263586

As you can see it's a bit over fueled:D

And the dyno curves:

I'm pleased with the typical curves from Jeff of RocketChip. 180 whp and 300 ft/lbs at the wheels. This car is a pleasure to drive!!
Good numbers. I wouldn't recommend going any crazier as the drivability will suffer. Ask me how I know ;)

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Good numbers. I wouldn't recommend going any crazier as the drivability will suffer. Ask me how I know ;)
Yup, been there and done that, good advice. I am looking for reliable long term power. The car is a nice size and comfortable. I'm hoping to get 300,000 to 400,000 miles on it before I pass it down to one of my kids

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
yesterday I had JSP do my 176k oil change and added a 10k potentiometer so that I could make these bloody Cobalt gauges stop burning my retinas. Man they were bright - but problem solved.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Started in on my first ALH timing belt on my wife's '01. Got all the way to the point of removing the valve cover bolts and the ball-head hex ⅜" socket I was using decided to break off in there. So, that didn't get very far.

Thing is, I was putting hardly any torque into it when it broke.

So, now I'm stuck with a ball head stuck into the valve head bolt, with nothing to grab onto to pull it out.
Magnet isn't strong enough, tried punching at it with punches, screwdrivers, chisels - it's rolling around easily enough now, but can't get anything in there to pop it out.

Any ideas out there?

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Take a punch and a hammer and whack it straight down a couple times (good and hard). You'll likely be able to unthread the bolt with your fingers or maybe a needle nose pliers.

Then purchase some 12.9 bolts to replace the valve cover bolts with.

Started in on my first ALH timing belt on my wife's '01. Got all the way to the point of removing the valve cover bolts and the ball-head hex ⅜" socket I was using decided to break off in there. So, that didn't get very far.

So, now I'm stuck with a ball head stuck into the valve head bolt, with nothing to grab onto to pull it out.
Magnet isn't strong enough, tried punching at it with punches, screwdrivers, chisels - it's rolling around easily enough now, but can't get anything in there to pop it out.

Any ideas out there?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Qu'est-ce que le "12.9 bolts"?
Are those ones with hex innards, but still has the six-sided outtards? Sounds more like a "quality" though - like 18.8 stainless steel cutlery.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle

Any ideas out there?
I use the snapon brand bolt extractors. They have a reverse thread tapered flute that will grip the outside of the bolt when you hammer it on. Sears also makes a set.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks, oldpoopie. Snap-on truck happens to live literally just around the corner from me, so I know where I'll be stopping in tomorrow am on my way to Starbucks. :)

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Qu'est-ce que le "12.9 bolts"?
Are those ones with hex innards, but still has the six-sided outtards? Sounds more like a "quality" though - like 18.8 stainless steel cutlery.
Just a standard socket head cap screw (hex innards), but they're a lot stronger than the soft valve cover bolts. I don't remember the diameter and pitch off hand - M6x0.7 maybe?

CrazyWJ242

Veteran Member
TDI
04 MK4 Jetta Wagon TDI, 03 Beetle TDI
I mean props to them for sticking it out... but really who is going to travel that distance in that long of a time...

they say 14 hours of driving per day to travel 1626 miles... thats a rough average of them traveling at 38mph... thats based on a full 42 hours of driving, im sure the speed was higher, but not by much...

traveling with 120lbs of luggage, more like to balance out the aerodynamics of the car

Masonjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GL
Washed the Wagon. Started a headlight restoration on the Golf, but 11 year old plastic does not shine up too good...

Andrew

shadowhand

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Took out my broken glovebox, in preparation for a new one that is in the mail. Rerouted my aux and USB audio connectors through the audio sleeve. Reconditioned the front (leather) seats.

Now I have a back seat full of random trim pieces:

Last edited:

canux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
On the 2010 Golf I did the full 60k Kms service (Air filter, cabin filter, fuel filter, oil filter and oil). Also lubed the exhaust valve, checked the passenger side inter cooler hose (found only a small amount of water, no oil), and washed the engine bay. Also ordered the OEM steel skid plate and plastic battery box. Oh, and I also topped up the water in the battery.

On the 2005 Passat I did and oil and filter change, air filter, and fuel filter. Note to self: get a set of triple square sockets. Ordered a new engine cover as the various mechanics who have worked on the car over the years were unclear as to how it came off...

Then I discovered that the battery in the mower wasn't charging. Something to troubleshoot another day.

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
Washed the sedan. Always turns out nice..

As a side note, my mom is visiting and has a '12 Subaru Outback. I washed it and gave it a little detail. Holy crap. No way I'm buying one of those. What a PITA to wash. It's freaking huge, plastic everywhere, nooks and crannies that bugs get in all over the grill, etc. Bleh.

Otherwise, pretty damn nice car. She gets 30+ on the highway...

CrazyWJ242

Veteran Member
TDI
04 MK4 Jetta Wagon TDI, 03 Beetle TDI
I weather decided to co-operate and i was able to repair some rust on my driver side rear door...

looks were deciving, a small hole above the trim was actually 2 large holes, no metal in the metal, cut out all the rust and sanded down to bare metal

Photo of the Bondo body patch installed (2 layers of patch, one inside the door, one occuping the void of the missing skin)

all Bondo'd up... now to sand nice and smooth prime and paint... should look considerably better than before...

thats what i've been up to today...

shadowhand

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Got my KII-USB in the mail today. Fired up VCDS, reset EGR and IQ to default, cleared codes. Will be turning the EGR back down and working on getting the IQ back up, just glad that the black smoke (and CEL) has gone away...

Last edited:

billfinch

TDI
2003 Jetta ALH, 162K Miles
Turbo Trials and Tribulation - Part II

Today's mods:

1. Removed EGR cooler to EGR line and installed Dieselgeek supplied blank off plates, de-gunked EGR and first 4 inches of intake manifold.

2. Installed Dieselgeek Sigma Short-shifter in place of worn stock unit.

3. Replaced exhaust downpipe and Cat assembly and narrowed my turbo whine down to the turbo itself, no intake or exhaust leaks.. @#&#&$%^!~!!!!!!!

Didn't need to discover that I now have to buy a replacement turbo too! Anybody got a VNT-15 or VNT-17 to sell?
Follow up:

Thursday: Removed and cleaned intake manifold, replaced turbo and exhaust manifold with new Borg-Warner VNT-15 unit from Paul at KermaTDI (also replaced oil line with braided flex). Found a crack in the oil filter assembly at the turbo oil line fitting, which probably resulted in the original turbo going bad, :mad: so fast forward to........

Monday: replaced the oil filter assembly, buttoned everything up, put in fresh G-12 and Pentosin 5W-40 full synthectic, and warmed it up.

Today: Enjoyed the sweet sound of no turbo whine of death, and more power than I have had in 3-4 years now that the intake manifold is cured of it's COPD! :D

Future: EGR Cooler Delete and a trip to Jeff's shop at RocketChip (20 minutes from my house!) to get an EGR tweak and Stage II tuning... :)

02DslPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, TDI
Yesterday:
-Changed oil w/Pentosin HPII 5w40
-Topped off tranny with MT-90(capacity may only be two 2L, but after a rebuild, it took ~2.5L, much smoother now)
Last week:
-DG deluxe timing belt kit
-Got timing to right on the blue line

She's seems much happier now. Far less smoke than pre-TB job. Used to have a slight haze at WOT, but now I don't notice any smoke at all once all 22psi get there. :D

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
12 May: replaced broken spring on black 2-dr that the wife will be driving soon. Lots of rust in that corner, but evidence of recent maintenance too. The broken spring must have been the last straw for the former owner.

The 3 bolts that hold the ball joint decided they'd rather break than unbolt from the nuts, so I need new parts there, too. I'm going to be throwing lots of parts at this car for a while...

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
New TT LCA bushings, this time went from Meyle brand to OE VW R32 bushings.
The Meyle bushings last about 2-3 years for me. I'm hoping the OE hold up better.

Also replaced my turbo actuator which had a week spring. vanes are working smoothly, and overboost is gone.