OEM Fog lights on a TDI SE

domano 68

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6spd manual
Anyone buy the factory OEM fog light kit for thier TDI SE and install it?

Would love to hear details, ease of installation, cost, things to watch out for, etc. Thanks in advance.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Is their a complete kit? The lights are available but you also need the module for them and last I knew it wasn't available yet. There was a thread about it on another forum I believe.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
Anyone buy the factory OEM fog light kit for thier TDI SE and install it?
Would love to hear details, ease of installation, cost, things to watch out for, etc. Thanks in advance.
Last I heard the full kit was not available yet, seems there is an issue with the connectors for the lights on the wiring harness. There is a guy on Tex that has installed the lights, but they are not functional yet as the harness is not available yet. He said it took him 20 minutes to install the lights, and 10 minutes to install the euro switch. The wiring harness was suppose to be available in Feb, then April, now the end of May.. but I wouldn't hold my breath it will be available then either.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
Yup, VW has put together a kit to install Fog lights on cars that don't have them. There is even a PDF out there from VW on how to do it. The hang up is the wiring harness for this kit was made with the wrong connectors for the lights and last I heard VW had not decided on how to fix the issue.

LANCECASPER

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5 Speed (SOLD); 2006 Jetta TDI DSG (SOLD); 2012 Jetta TDI Premium 6M (Reflex Silver)
There are probably better places to buy parts (better discount), but on discountvwparts.com here is what the parts for the fog lights would total: $727 plus shipping. Ouch! The prices below follow the order of the parts on the askavwsalesguy posting.

harness $140.00
fog lamp assy Left $99.00
fog lamp assy Right $99.00
fog lamp bezel Left $29.50
fog lamp bezel Right $29.50
headlamp switch w/fog lamps $110.00
outer grille w/fog lamps Left $55.00
outer grille w/fog lamps Right $55.00
molding Left $55.00
molding Right $55.00
Sub Total: $727.00
Total: $727.00

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I won't be installing the VW kit on my car.. it bypasses the body control module, so you can't use the fog lights as DRLs, have cornering lights, or have the fog lights as the coming home lights.

-J

domano 68

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6spd manual
There are probably better places to buy parts (better discount), but on discountvwparts.com here is what the parts for the fog lights would total: $727 plus shipping. Ouch! The prices below follow the order of the parts on the askavwsalesguy posting.

harness $140.00
fog lamp assy Left $99.00
fog lamp assy Right $99.00
fog lamp bezel Left $29.50
fog lamp bezel Right $29.50
headlamp switch w/fog lamps $110.00
outer grille w/fog lamps Left $55.00
outer grille w/fog lamps Right $55.00
molding Left $55.00
molding Right $55.00
Sub Total: $727.00
Total: $727.00
Thanks for answering my question.

That has to be MSRP. There will be some dealerships that sell for much less. $300 ish sounds about right to me.

Can someone post the install instructions or a link to them? Would love to see how easy to install.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
I won't be installing the VW kit on my car.. it bypasses the body control module, so you can't use the fog lights as DRLs, have cornering lights, or have the fog lights as the coming home lights.
-J
J-
Are you sure? Seems to me the wiring instructions I saw did tie into the BCM. If that is the case, then I am not interested in them either. The price I got for the complete kit from a VW dealer was, $460 plus shipping.

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
supposedly they are having problems getting harnesses to add onto the SE car.....

a guy on VW Vortex said he did it for $300....

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Yes, It does use a relay harness as opposed to the factory which uses the BCM

Due to the cost of replacing the module, I doubt Vw will ever offer a Fog Light kit that requires replacing the module.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
ETKA can be a little confusing at times.

From what I understand Vw installs different modules at the factory depending on what the vehicle needs.

But as a replacement, there is only one module that can be coded for any vehicle.

If you are able to find people willing to get under their dash to verify the part numbers, I am sure you would find they differ.

And according to my ETKA (Update 916) there are 5 different part numbers.

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Excellent.

If you want to also compare your car to what ETKA says we would replace it with, that would be another starting point.

PM me your VIN (if you are not able to run VIN specific parts) and I will tell you the number ETKA says applies to your car.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Don't those HID's cut fog well enough for you Jason, or do you need the 3000k yellow bulbs for the foggy season?

fastyz400

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I just installed the foglight kit. The oem wiring harness comes with the instructions. There were a few things that the instructions failed to mention. Wasted about 1 hour of my time.
Below are a few items that you need to be aware of.

1. Once you take the fuse box apart and inserting the red wire. It won't go in unless you unlock the fuse box. Meaning, you need to take a picture of the front of the fuse box. Remove all of the fuses. The on the back, the purple bracket needs to slide 1/8" to unlock, then you can insert the red wire into the fuse box. Location 37.

2. The wiring harness itself where all the connectors goes to the inside of the car. You need to cut the tape back, so, you can have more slack with wires going to the fuse box, the black connector. above the brake pedal to the left.

3. If you didn't want to sped $20+ on the pin connector tool. I used 2 small cotter pins. I flattened the tips out with my vise, then ground the sides down with a dremel. Worked perfect. Slid each of the cotter pins into connector #5 and it came out easy.

4. The wiring for the passenger side fog lamp, on the instructions goes right above the turbo. I'm like, why would you route your wire above that heat. So, may need to extend the wire and route it around the front of the car.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
No need to remove all the fuses - just unlock and install the wire (easier typed than done). I agree on the slack in the wiring. It is a little tight. Easier if you skip that whole section and allow the fogs to stay on with the high beams. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=391524

I didn't think my passenger side wiring was that close to the turbo... Seems like it's up high enough but I will take a closer look. Been running them a couple of months with no issues.

fastyz400

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
No need to remove all the fuses - just unlock and install the wire (easier typed than done). I agree on the slack in the wiring. It is a little tight. Easier if you skip that whole section and allow the fogs to stay on with the high beams. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=391524

I didn't think my passenger side wiring was that close to the turbo... Seems like it's up high enough but I will take a closer look. Been running them a couple of months with no issues.

I have the passat TDI. If you look on the firewall, there is no rubber tubing or wires. All wires above the turbo are heat shielded with that foil stuff. Why would vw run a wire above the turbo without any heat protection. I just wouldn't trust it. I will either find some good heat shielding for the wire or extend the wire to the driver side light then cross cross over to the passenger side foglight.

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
When I installed mine I routed the passenger side harness behind the firewall insulation. Just remove the 3 insulation retainers and gently fold it back from the rubber on top of it and run your harness behind it. I then have it coming out the far right end of the insulation and into the flexible conduit that runs around the top of the coolant bottle. After that I just have it following existing harness down. Nowhere can you see any of my fog light harness. Not even a VW mechanic is not going to know where the harness is unless they are really looking hard and know what/where to look for it, or they stumble upon it.

Last edited: