www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old May 7th, 2012, 08:55   #1
freakwithracket

TDI(s): 2003
Fuel Economy: 50.57mpg
Default Highest H3 Bulb

I have a set of E-codes (factory defect version posted in this thread) with a fog lamp harness from ECS tuning. I currently have yellow Zila bulbs from ECS, but am considering switching my fogs to a white light in order to provide more light when needed. Does anyone know what the highest wattage bulb that can be put in there? Also, does anyone know how many watts the ECS harness can handle? I don't want to melt anything.
freakwithracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 19:52   #2
Birdman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 summer 50 winter

I have been running 50 watts in the top fogs and 100 watts to the bottom fogs. they seem to run the wattage (Bottom) all right as I like to drive at night and I have not had a 100 watt bulb burn out yet. I will drive from 1030PM to day light on my trips to the H05G in NH. I do have heavy wires and relays on the lower 100 watt lights. This makes a big difference in lighting and I have to make sure to turn them down when someone is coming at me or I will blind them. JMHO
2003 Jetta 216 injectors, race pipe, OMI, 2.5 cat back pipe, Sachs power clutch,Lightweight fly wheel,Rocketchip 3.0,Dieselgeek race pipe,Borla SS exhaust,Dieselgeek Intercooler pipes,Pierburg MAF,EU cluster with LED Boost gauge,,
Ventectomy,Alientech window,Old Navy ccv filter,Catch can,Dieselgeek short shifter,ATE power slot rotors,Porterfield pads,Shine suspension,Shine rear sway bar,TT pedals & foot rest,Cat fuel filter 2 micron,Alum skid plate,Euro headlights and switch,5 Brake light mod.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:44   #3
Intech
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 03' Jetta 64.5 best 51 avg. 99.5 Golf 46 Avg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakwithracket View Post
I have a set of E-codes (factory defect version posted in this thread) with a fog lamp harness from ECS tuning. I currently have yellow Zila bulbs from ECS, but am considering switching my fogs to a white light in order to provide more light when needed. Does anyone know what the highest wattage bulb that can be put in there? Also, does anyone know how many watts the ECS harness can handle? I don't want to melt anything.
You should always run auxiliary lights through a good relay, especially higher wattage ones. You get better lighting and no possible damage to your electrical system. I use Hella relays with replaceable fuses and #12 copper stranded wire.
Intech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:38   #4
freakwithracket

TDI(s): 2003
Fuel Economy: 50.57mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intech View Post
You should always run auxiliary lights through a good relay, especially higher wattage ones. You get better lighting and no possible damage to your electrical system. I use Hella relays with replaceable fuses and #12 copper stranded wire.
I use relays. I reconfigured my headlamps to get power directly from the battery, and made my own harness for that feature using relays from autozone and some 14G wire. The fog light harness and fog light bulbs were given to me as a gift. Everything is already set up and working, but my question is still: how high of a wattage bulb can I safely run?
freakwithracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 17:50   #5
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48

I've run 150 watt H3's in a few housings but they tend to burn a little too hot and melt housings haha
edit.. I think they were 130 watt, not 150

Last edited by TDIJetta99; May 8th, 2012 at 17:55.
TDIJetta99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:38   #6
Intech
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 03' Jetta 64.5 best 51 avg. 99.5 Golf 46 Avg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakwithracket View Post
I use relays. I reconfigured my headlamps to get power directly from the battery, and made my own harness for that feature using relays from autozone and some 14G wire. The fog light harness and fog light bulbs were given to me as a gift. Everything is already set up and working, but my question is still: how high of a wattage bulb can I safely run?
Whatever current your relays are set up for. However, keep in mind that bulbs over 100 watts, don't improve lighting very much at all, and most of the extra light is "scatter". Additionally, the higher the wattage, the shorter the life span
Intech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 06:20   #7
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48

Ya to really get the most out of the 130watt bulbs you pretty much need a housing designed for them.. Something like those hand held massive 12v spotlights that are 6-7" diameter.. They light up nice with 130's in them.. Some of the KC's come with 130's as well..