www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > West Coast Canada/USA

West Coast Canada/USA Local discussions for those on the West Coast of Canada and the US.

Old April 25th, 2012, 14:00   #1
Zippy_car
Trouble Maker

Fuel Economy: 42, 27.6, 23 - Subaru #'s
Default GTG May 5-6th -South San Jose

Hey All!
Matt (Matt-98AHU) - our wonderful traveling guru!- is coming up to the Bay Area to do some work on my car the weekend of May 5-6, so we thought we'd make it a GTG and see who else needed work or who just wanted to come hang. I know it's a little short notice, but hey! sometimes those are the best one's!

I'm supplying the work space for Matt and socializing. The only thing I ask is that people respect my home and the space, as I also live with 5 other people. I'll try to get the grill up and running (though no guarantee's) and I have some chairs, enough for about 10 people.

Don't show up empty-handed. I'm a poor school teacher and can not afford to supply food for everyone! Help us all out and pitch in if your coming. Please sign up for foodage and any work you wish to have done by Matt. We'll set up a schedule as time get's near and post any updates on this 1st post.

WHEN: May 5, 9am-11pm for socializing (work schedule pending)
May 6, 9am-8pm for socializing (work schedule pending)
Phone: 401-378-2391

I live on the edge of Bay Area civilization! So for those of you farther up the peninsula or East Bay, make it a fun road trip! C'mon down to the South Side (that's actually a dive bar within walking distance of my house! *hint hint*) and stop in for a visit! I hope to see a bunch of people's there!

SCHEDULE UPDATED!
As always, the schedule is subject to change, based on the state of the jobs. Please remember, Matt is only 1 man (though, sometimes he works on a level of 5 men, so it seems). So patience and flexibility are a must have. You're all welcome to work in the driveway as space allows. I only have some tools, so make sure to bring whatever you need for the job you're doing. And of course, please clean up and take away all your parts, fluids, and trash with you.

Saturday May 5th, 9am - Whenever

FOOD:
1. Zippy - Salad, veggie platter, crackers, bagels, fruits, cous-cous du jour, other assorted tasty's, Gatorade, water
2. smendick - beer
3. OnePutt - something tasty

Work done by Matt:
9am - Zippy - Timing Belt, Drive Train drama (axle?, ball joint?, sticky brakes?), adjust the linkage (clunking into gear?), balance
and clean the injectors, and still tracking down the oil leak.
**OnePut - Limp Mode Issues - There's a spot in the driveway for you.
Late saturday: smendick - squeaky roller, skid plate install

Sunday May 6th - 9am - 8pm

FOOD:
1. Zippy -whatever's left over!
2. Skully - Meat!
3. ZenT - Fruit

Work done by Matt:

Skully - compression check, put on my dieselgeek FMJ side-skirts, and if there's time drill a hole for my EGT probe.
ZenT - final drive output shaft seal leak
10am - Treyca - Some big stuff!
Afternoonish - "Bruce" - sound diagnosis. '98 Jetta

Former mk4 jetta owner, turned Subaru mountain climber.

Last edited by Zippy_car; May 3rd, 2012 at 13:44.
Zippy_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 15:21   #2
Got Bearings?
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 / 50

On Cinco de Drinko weekend?!?!? Come on Zippy. Pick a better date!

Looking for Battery Cables, better & cheaper than OEM? Click here for info
Got Bearings? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 16:10   #3
smendick
Veteran Member

I have a squeaky upper roller from a previous TB install that I want Matt to check out. Put me down for Saturday AM-ish. I know that doesn't pay the bills for Matt, but I'll bring some beer.
smendick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 20:57   #4
Zippy_car
Trouble Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Bearings? View Post
On Cinco de Drinko weekend?!?!? Come on Zippy. Pick a better date!
Sorry, Noel. I work when the guru's available. I put my first trip diving on hold for this day (can't dive without a car to transport the gear!). I want my car back!

Besides, Cinco de Mayo... in a place names San Jose! C'mon! Bring some decorations, we can make sombrero's and I can play the part of senorita. In the evening, when all the work's done, we light some cigars, play some music and celebrate TDI style!

**edited out my cultural ignorance, based on Noel's kind correction. :-P

Last edited by Zippy_car; April 26th, 2012 at 13:50.
Old April 25th, 2012, 21:59   #5
Got Bearings?
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy_car View Post
Besides, Cinco de Mayo... in a place names San Jose! C'mon! Bring some decorations, we can make sombrero's and I can play the part of senorita. In the evening, when all the work's done, we light some cigars, play some music and celebrate Mexican Independence TDI style!
Oh Zippy... where do I start?!?!?! Cinco de Mayo is NOT Mexican Independence Day. It's a battle won in the city of Puebla. Mexican Independence Day is in September.

So you can play the part of a senorita, huh? Oh so many dirty thoughts! lol Any more senorita's in your household?!?!?

Old April 26th, 2012, 08:25   #6
skully
Veteran Member

I'm in for Sunday. I have plans for that Saturday already I have to go to.

Put me down for a sunday afternoon slot to do a compression check, put on my dieselgeek FMJ side-skirts, and if there's time drill a hole for my EGT probe.

I can bring meat to grill. Sadly Dittmer's is still closed but I know a couple places to get good sausages and brats still.
skully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:15   #7
NewTdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/47/39

5 roommates? That sounds like a party! Wish I could make it; I have an exam on the 5th that I need to get 99% on or better!

278,00 miles and counting!
NewTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:55   #8
Baumeister
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57/46/42 on B20

Wish we could make it, but I've got a show running both days. The NB is finally running great, I just want to tap the timing back a touch. Looking forward to just hanging out, but still need to install my skidplate BEFORE my next trip to the Bay Area!
Baumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 13:47   #9
Zippy_car
Trouble Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTdi View Post
5 roommates? That sounds like a party! Wish I could make it; I have an exam on the 5th that I need to get 99% on or better!
ouch! So come on Sunday and drink yourself into oblivion to decompress. lol
My roommate, Andy, will have the new Ducati Panigale on display (with a 40 ft fence around it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Bearings? View Post
Oh Zippy... where do I start?!?!?! Cinco de Mayo is NOT Mexican Independence Day. It's a battle won in the city of Puebla. Mexican Independence Day is in September.

So you can play the part of a senorita, huh? Oh so many dirty thoughts! lol Any more senorita's in your household?!?!?
Damn! I knew I should have looked it up. Still, any day is a good day to celebrate Independence! Thanks for the update to my knowledge data bank.

And, as a matter of fact, there are 2 other Senorita's in the house. 1 older than I with a 10y/o daughter and on-again-off-again boyfriend. The other is slightly younger than I, with a 4 y/o son. Both divorcee's. I wouldn't suggest hitting on either one of them, however, for reasons I shall keep to myself.

Old April 26th, 2012, 14:02   #10
Got Bearings?
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy_car View Post
And, as a matter of fact, there are 2 other Senorita's in the house. 1 older than I with a 10y/o daughter and on-again-off-again boyfriend. The other is slightly younger than I, with a 4 y/o son. Both divorcee's. I wouldn't suggest hitting on either one of them, however, for reasons I shall keep to myself.
Well at least I know they put out!! lol

Wonder what those reasons are.... hmmmm????

Old April 27th, 2012, 10:01   #11
OnePutt
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Highway - 47

I could use some help diagnosing and fixing a limp mode issue if there is time. I might try to get under my car this weekend to see if it is something I can fix, but other wise I am thinking this is a great time for me to have a professional give it a once over.

And I can bring some food...does it have to be home made? I am a father of a 2 year old...I have more money than time.

I'll PM matt to see if he has time.
Waiting for me in the garage/on the way - LOTS of goodies
OnePutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 13:25   #12
Zippy_car
Trouble Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePutt View Post
And I can bring some food...does it have to be home made? I am a father of a 2 year old...I have more money than time.
that's fine, just something other than chips n' salsa, please.

Old April 30th, 2012, 11:54   #13
MarsBar
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Damn! I'm going down to Morro Bay for their car show this weekend & to hang out with the old gang from grade school. Have fun!!!

MarsBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:56   #14
ZenT

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta

I would like Matt to check if I have a final drive output shaft seal leak. I can come by on Sunday. I will bring fruits.
ZenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:16   #15
OnePutt
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Highway - 47

I PM'd Matt about Saturday to diagnose a Limp Mode issue.
Waiting for me in the garage/on the way - LOTS of goodies
OnePutt is offline   Reply With Quote