www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old April 11th, 2012, 16:31   #1
rolotomassi44
Veteran Member

Default Monsoon speaker fix (might be blown)

Hey guys, me again.

I have a 2004 VW GLS TDI @ roughly 140,000 miles.

I think one or more of my speakers might be blown.

Initially I thought the sub-woofer had gone, but it seems the B5.5 might not even have one!

You see I had lent my car out and my friend who then subsequently played some dubstep (not my choice but rather bass heavy) and turned the knob for the bass almost completely to the full position. I was a passenger during this time and had fallen asleep while the music was playing - indicating I was either very tired/volume wasn't high enough. Nevertheless it very well might have done something as the sound wasn't the same afterwards, it almost felt as the bass was lacking in any music played. Keep in mind that when music is played it's almost always through a cassette adapter and iPhone/iPod. I never mess with the equalizer nor do I turn the volume over 25%.

I decided to get it checked out...

My local shop (Sound Check) wouldn't even touch it - they said it was all stock and needed the VW computer to check it. He recommended me to Best Buy or the dealership to check it out.

Turns out Best Buy are charging approximately $60-80 per hour to diagnose the issue and said it could cost upwards of a $180 to find out the problem! (They mentioned something about connecting it to the amplifier and progressing from there).

Can I diagnose them/fix them myself? I do have access to a VCDS module and a volt meter. I just have no idea what to do to pin point the problem nor do I know what readings I should be getting for the speakers.

Help me!

rolotomassi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 18:39   #2
Lloydw

Default rear speaker B5.5 Passat

Hi I also have a 2005 Passat with no sound from the rear speakers. In my trunk on the drivers side is a compartment with wires connector but no box. I thought it was for the CD changer. I have the Moonsoon radio. Wrong spelling.
I'll watch for help on this link. Thanks for the help.
Lloyd
Lloydw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 19:58   #3
speed185187
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: >100MPGe

Lloydw, that is for the cd-changer.

easy way to check for a blown speaker is cycle through the 4 corners using the controls on the radio. Balance and Fade.
speed185187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:05   #4
thundershorts
Veteran Member

its really not surprising for oem paper coned speakers to fail after 8 years. When you replace them, just don't install anything with paper cones.
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:49   #5
Zambee500
Veteran Member

These things are also known for poor wiring connectors. There have been a few threads here on that, especially re: rear speakers. You can try cleaning the upper connectors in the rear door wiring boots using contact cleaner and a couple disconnect/reconnect cycles and see if that helps. But also could definitely be blown speakers for reasons thundershorts gives.
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:38   #6
cleaver
Veteran Member

Slightly off topic, but my '01 with a Monsoon has very little bass in it compared to my '02 with the double-din system. The monsoon sounds weak unless I put the fader to -3 (towards the rear) and even then there doesn't seem to be much bass.

On topic: Can the monsoon speakers be bad, even though there is good (albeit Bass-less) sound coming out?
Old April 12th, 2012, 18:38   #7
thundershorts
Veteran Member

10 and 11yo oem paper coned speakers are indeed suspect.
Old April 13th, 2012, 15:37   #8
Lloydw

Thanks Speed for your reply. I think I found a used CD player from a salvage yard for $75.00 I think it's 6 CD changer. is it worth it if it works, do I need it for the rear speaker to work? thanks Lloyd
Lloydw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 21:04   #9
CoasterMoose
Veteran Member

There have also been reports of one channel of the Monsoon amp failing, there's a post here somewhere about that...
CoasterMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 06:40   #10
vwztips
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydw View Post
Thanks Speed for your reply. I think I found a used CD player from a salvage yard for $75.00 I think it's 6 CD changer. is it worth it if it works, do I need it for the rear speaker to work? thanks Lloyd
I have a spare changer i will sell for $50 shipped
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 06:42   #11
vwztips
Veteran Member

IIRC the monsoon speakers have a plastic cone. It is the rubber surround that can break from over extensionto and results in no bass.
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 17:28   #12
speed185187
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: >100MPGe

the cd changer is strictly optional. I have the open slot in my truck still, i use it for carrying around my bottle of power service in the winter time
speed185187 is offline   Reply With Quote