www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old April 15th, 2012, 20:45   #1
Whitbread

Fuel Economy: mid 40's with mixed spirited driving
Default I joined the B5.5 crowd today

Today I drove up to Rockford IL to purchase gmartino's passat that's in some sore need of repair from a broken BS chain.

I'll tear into it next week after NoJoke's monster wagon is running. For sure it needs some new shoes, new brakes, turbo rebuilt, new cam/lifters, main and rod bearings, front timing cover, bull-sh!t unit, and hopefully there's no damage to the cylinders. If there's cylinder damage, I'm on the hunt for a short block as oversize pistons are silly $$$$$. Overall it's a clean car otherwise, just in need of an interior detail and some light scratch repair on the LR quater.
Whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 20:56   #2
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Welcome to the house of pain (Oh, it's already wounded)...
Malone tune, GTI Wheel with paddle shifters, Premium 8 Sound, Good camshaft & DMF, 155K miles, Black on Black, HIDs by Jeff, 4 new wheel bearings!
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 02:51   #3
lanman

Cool

Welcome to the B5.5 crowd.
Old April 16th, 2012, 04:51   #4
thundershorts
Veteran Member

you might as well go the short block route to zero time the bottom end. by the time you buy the bsm, bearings,lower timing cover, rear seal, you're about the same money and you end up with a better outcome. it comes with new oil cooler, pressure relief, head gasket, etc.
Old April 16th, 2012, 07:37   #5
Whitbread

Fuel Economy: mid 40's with mixed spirited driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundershorts View Post
you might as well go the short block route to zero time the bottom end. by the time you buy the bsm, bearings,lower timing cover, rear seal, you're about the same money and you end up with a better outcome. it comes with new oil cooler, pressure relief, head gasket, etc.
The BSM isn't going back in . I'll do a full write up on the delete and the results.
Whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 08:00   #6
vwztips
Veteran Member

Well hurry up then! I want to know how the BSM delete works before I do my next manual conversion in a few weeks!
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote