www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Ontario

Ontario Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.

Old April 13th, 2012, 09:28   #16
iomonkey
Veteran Member

Wingnut has indeed just made the first donation, and it is bountiful. A bunch of busted motor mounts, a broken AC compressor, and a broken alternator!

Was good meeting you Wingnut, after reading so many of your threads. Thanks!
iomonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:30   #17
VR6ix

Fuel Economy: varries :p 40-45mpg not driving slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
Why would you post that thread? I haven't been able to stop reading for over an hour now. I'm never going to get any work done today .
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog View Post
Thanks to your link, I just lost an hour.
Happy (productive day at work) Friday!

I don't have any metal to donate but I'll keep it in mind.
VR6ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 18:17   #18
iomonkey
Veteran Member

Yeessss, here, in all its greasy glory - Wingnut's donation:

An excellent start!
Old April 14th, 2012, 11:37   #19
imo000
Veteran Member

A Knob Hill Farm basket?!?!.....haven't seen one of those in years.
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 12:13   #20
iomonkey
Veteran Member

It was buried in my parents' garage attic and subsequently liberated from the garbage pile years later.

If I hadn't left 150lbs of electrical wiring heaped on it over the winter, it would still be in perfect condition!

Anyways, makes a great scrap bin now!
Old April 16th, 2012, 04:08   #21
iomonkey
Veteran Member

Wow, read that casting thread over the course of the weekend - how you guys did it in an hour is beyond me!! Pretty epic...I do believe I'll be printing that to PDF to re-read on the train.

Anyone interested in casting read that! You'll learn way more from there than any other source I've seen so far (except perhaps the Hobbyist's Guide to Casting at alloyavenue.com).
Old April 16th, 2012, 07:17   #22
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Fuel Economy: 42 Jetta, 47 Beetle

I haven't read it all, I just looked at the pretty pictures and read some highlights. It's amazing the time he spent to document it all, not to mention all of his skills.
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 07:22   #23
iomonkey
Veteran Member

Yeah, I would heartily recommend reading through all his posts. The progression from design to casting to milling to fitment really brings home that doing this kind of thing is not super-human (although he clearly is gifted in many areas), but can be done with proper planning and care.
He even goes so far as to fabricate a method for 'spin casting' parts (gives better density). So cool.
I really enjoyed how he tried to demonstrate how much of what he did was possible using common tools. For example, he milled some of the material using a mill bit in a router!!

Edit: Whoa, forgot the coolest part - he went to the Pagani factory, met with Horatio Pagani himself, got a tour with Horatio, and a signed design sketch! Having seen a few interviews where Horatio is explaining stuff about the car, I have no doubt this would be a once-in-a-lifetime experience - the man is truly passionate about making the perfect car.

Last edited by iomonkey; April 16th, 2012 at 07:34.
Old April 16th, 2012, 07:36   #24
whitedog
TDI Scholar

When there was a new process, I read what he was doing.

Did you catch his vacuum pump for the carbon fibre? And all of his measuring was done with a vernier caliper. Not digital or a dial, but one where you have to think.
Old April 16th, 2012, 07:41   #25
iomonkey
Veteran Member

Haha, yeah, that was hilarious! I wonder where he got that wood screw....it was like 12" long...using the old silicone caulk tube was inspired.

Yeah, I'm not super-familiar with metal-shop stuff, but a few people in the thread commented on his use of Vernier calipers as well. I was going to look up why that was significant, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old April 16th, 2012, 07:44   #26
whitedog
TDI Scholar

On the calipers, most people have gone to digital readouts which is convenient when you need to switch between Metric and Imperial, but like most things electronic, it takes out the need to think.
Old April 16th, 2012, 07:47   #27
iomonkey
Veteran Member

Ah, okay. Yeah, I recall using Vernier calipers in metal shop class way back in the day. I should probably pick a set up - I have a cheapie digital set already.
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:02   #28
iomonkey
Veteran Member

Bump... Crucible arrived the other day, getting closer to the first melt...

Any donations appreciated!
Old May 18th, 2012, 13:38   #29
tassolake
Veteran Member

Iomonkey, I'm prepared to donate, not material, but services. I keep a fully functionaly Blacksmith shop in the GTA (I was the blacksmith at Blackcreek Pioneer village many moons ago). So if you need coal fired forge to heat the crucible come on over, likewise if you want to heat and bend something after you made it, also come over.
tassolake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 10:49   #30
iomonkey
Veteran Member

Wow, that's awesome! I just might take you up on that...I need to make some crucible lifting/pouring tongs. Will PM you when I'm ready to move on that. Thanks!!

If nothing else I might take a little time off work and come see your setup - before I was looking into casting I had looked at getting into hobby blacksmith work. After a lot of research and Youtube videos, I decided my neighbours would hate me for it, so had to put it off. One day...