www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old April 15th, 2012, 20:48   #16
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Fuel Economy: 42 Jetta, 47 Beetle

I don't know what to say. I have a drawing of all of the stuff to the injection pump. Here is a link.

whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 21:33   #17
vwdieseling
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG

Checked out your schematic easy enough to read. I am learning how to use this site. I am replacing my front struts. This Beetle I bought was ran into the ground by previous owners. I have replaced axles on it and driver side ball joint. The struts are shot all way around. I got quick struts for front two for $158.00 was quoted a price of $1600.00 at local shop to do the fronts. I said I would think about it. I do all my work myself, but I like a brake once in awhile.
vwdieseling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 22:45   #18
db252
Veteran Member

Ok. I don't really get it cause I'm pretty sure I did this already without the same result. I rehooked up vcds to check on a few other things on the car and decided to go back and mess with the IQ settings again. It was currently doing everything I expressed before. Lowered the adaption value by 100 and walaa, the IQ locked in at a maximum of 2.4 and was steady. I couldn't believe it and thought this won't last. Drove it around here and there for the day and was just waiting for that erratic idle to return in park or neutral but it never did. Soooo, fixed I guess. I am still going to do some fuel treatments but this case is closed. On to the next.....new post so I'll be looking for advice there to. Thanks for the help and suggestions.
2001 Golf Auto
db252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 14:06   #19
vwdieseling
Veteran Member

I had the same symptoms as you did. I have noticed some drift in mine. After our posts, I checked mine. I am worried about pump failure. I have heard that if the IQ is set by vcds that it will drift. My IQ is currently at 3 mg/ but was lower. In some cases when there is pump failure the ecu will increase IQ to compensate. I replaced my sending unit as well due to my fuel situation. I will keep posting on my IP situation because it sounds like we are sharing the same problem. By the way my IQ was off the wall too, until I reset it lower, this is when my idle stabilized as well.
Old April 18th, 2012, 18:44   #20
db252
Veteran Member

I am having a perfect and stable result still. It's staying right at 2.4 in idle at normal operating temp. Even though the baseline setting is supposed to be between 3.0 and 5.0 I'm happy cause it is as smooth as can be. I maxed out on lowering the adaption value through vcds and from those results don't see the need to do the hammer mod just to get in that range. Hopefully your attempts get your idle stable and that an IP is not in your future.
2001 Golf Auto
db252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 19:28   #21
mk3
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46 lifetime

Are your nozzles and pump OEM? or modified?

Have you checked the injector balance? I don't know off the top of my head to check this but when you do this in VAG you get a reading for each of the 4 injectors at idle and they are supposed to be within +/2 but normally they are much better than that. I think mine are within .5
mk3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 14:24   #22
vwdieseling
Veteran Member

I agree I replaced my injectors on GP. I would Diesel Purge the pump and tank. Mine was due to bad fuel and when I purchased my car it didn't have a fuel cap. The sending unit and tank had dirt in the bottom of them. So far my IQ has drifted .5 is at three still idleing fine. I an restoring mine so the added posts were in reference to some other issues. Hammer mod requires that special socket for the IP cover.
Old April 20th, 2012, 05:15   #23
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

I had the bouncing IQ/shuddering issue and it turned out to be a bad DMF.