www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old April 13th, 2012, 21:58   #16
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: life time average above 50 MPG

John, unless I missed it, are you looking at a new car or used?

With the VW TDI you do have 100k mile worry free intervals........then you need a new TB and all the asscociated parts, etc., for another 100k miles. Everything else pretty much is the same for it as with any other vehicle!

A 15 mile commute one-way will be enough distance to bring the engine up to full operating temp.

Who uses Super Unleaded?

My two cents!
'84 Vanagon ALH TDI engine (33 mpg) Malone Stage 1 tune, Polaris Diesel ATV, Allegro Bay RV 5.9 cummins, VWs 41 years, VW diesels 34 years, ALH TDIs 12 years
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 01:19   #17
OntarioVW_TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 mpg (2002 jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees View Post
Who uses Super Unleaded?
allot of turbo gas cars need to run high octane gase or else the will detonate (pre ignition)... I had an eagle tallon (super ricer car) before my tdi and I had to use premium in it.

If you buying new and only driving 15 mile to work then 15 miles home I personally wouldn't get a TDI, I wold probably get the 1.8T just cause as much fun as TDI's are to drive the 1.8 would be just a little more fun. And the cost you save in diesel you will probably not even notice. That being said the tdi would be better on the enviorment and you wil have these forums instead of "the other vw forums" *cough* vortex

At the end of the day it's your decision but that's my couple cents on it.

Edit: I'm slightly stoopid cause I forgot that 15 miles is allot further than 15 kilometers so you probably would save a bit over a 1.8, do they make a golf with a 2.5? Maybe check one of them out.

Last edited by OntarioVW_TDI; April 14th, 2012 at 01:39.
OntarioVW_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 04:55   #18
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Arrow

If you are looking for savings at the pump for the least amount spent, go with a Corolla or similar or a Yaris or similar with a manual trans. But if you are looking for a fun to drive car that will hold it's resale value better than anything else on the road a TDI is a good choice. the current EPA ratings on gas or diesel powered cars today are less than useless for getting sense of real costs per mile. And do not ever believe the garbage claimed today in the rating of there being almost no automatic trans consumption penalty, this is a totally bullsh!). There is and always will be a 30% minimum penalty in consumption, more on city only loops on a automatic version compared to same engine in the same car if it is equipped with a manual trans.

And if you are looking for the reigning champ in the current 2.0 TDI stable it has a manual trans. The DSG, VW/Audi's automatically shifted manual gearbox has at least a 15-30 % and more real world consumption penalty compared to exact same car with a TDI with a manual trans, higher on city only loops.

And out of this stable of 7 models with diesel power that come with the current 2.0 140hp/236 lb-ft TDI engine the Jetta, Jetta Sport Wagon, Golf, NB, Passat, and A3 all with the 2.0 TDI-CR engine the Passat TDI-CR with a manual trans is the most fuel efficient. Next is going to be the Golf, then the Audi A3, then the Jetta, the Jetta Sport Wagon and last on the consumption board is going the just arriving New Beetle with the TDI engine.

And has been pointed out VW diesels suffer fools and procrastinators badly. The maintenance schedules and lubrication standards are not to be taken lightly or ignored. You follow all lubrication requirements and maintenance schedules ownership will be an enjoyable experience. You don't and ownership will be a nightmare like you have not ever dreamed of...........
Old April 14th, 2012, 18:03   #19
john224

TDI(s): not yet

Thanks for replying everyone, I went down to the dealership today and after much debate I went against the TDI for this time. It is great for all the reasons everyone mentioned here but the short commute and little mileage I put on yearly don't add up.

Thanks again for your feedbacks
John
john224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 11:06   #20
TimeTrap

TDI(s): 2011 6M TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Hound View Post
There's lots of ways to look at this, but I'll give you my jaundiced eye approach. Just note that this is a worst case scenario kind of look at it, so if my comments don't discourage you, then maybe the TDI is the way to go.

1. If you have to ask, the answer is no.
2. If you don't like to do maintenance, the answer is no. Not that TDIs are garage queens or anything like that, but they are kinda sensitive about having maintenance done on time and correctly. Having said that, dealers are not the preferred venue for maintenance nor most complex repairs. There are however, various well regarded individuals who are known for taking care of TDIs and doing it properly at much less than dealer rates. So if you are disinclined to do your own wrenching, there is probably one close by. If a good TDI guy isn't close by, and you refuse to drive there, and you won't turn your own wrenches, then the answer is no.
I've heard this before about TDIs--if you don't plan on working on them, TDIs aren't for you. This kindof concerns me because I don't do any work on my car but I'm about to buy a used 2011 golf tdi. Could it be that if you want to own your car for 10-12 years you'll want to do the work on your own? Powder Hound I noticed you have a couple of '00s, so I would guess if has made sense for you to do your own work because it's probably really inexpensive to have cars that are that old when you've done all the maintenance.

I also know of a couple that owns a pair of Jetta TDIs and they like them and don't do any of their own work.

So would it be better to say that after x number of years you want to be doing the work yourself but for the first 5 or so years you're ok?
TimeTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 12:59   #21
TDIMcChanic

TDI(s): 02 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by john224 View Post
Here is my question regarding the TDI: 90 % of my drive will be less than 15 miles from where i live to work.Thanks, John
Eh, I have a 3 mile commute to work and a 4 mile commute to school. 41mpg was my lowest tank ever, mostly because I pulled a trailer quite a bit. Now that summer is here I will ride the moped most of the time though, can't beat 90mpg
Old June 10th, 2012, 03:42   #22
chard

Fuel Economy: 60/48/??

On a modern TDI ( one that's equipped with a DPF) used mainly for short journeys.......this would quickly clog the DPF and would hence require deliberate/manual regeneration. For this reason, I wouldn't buy a TDI for such short mileage use. I have been considering the same scenario and been strongly advised against it for this reason.

Looks like you made the correct decision to go for petrol.