www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old February 13th, 2012, 12:00   #106
mdubon3

Default In&Out of LIMP Mode on 2003 Jetta TDI

I just got my 2003 Jetta TDI 1.9L Automatic and for some reason I got a check engine light while going up hill. it seems like it had issues shifting and it lost power as if it was stuck on first and it couldn't go faster than 25 MPH. with high RPM. It seems to be running ok now but it wont shift into Fift (overdrive) on the freeway with Check Engine Light. it only shifts into fourth at around 55 mph. where it used to go into over drive by then. The following day the chk engine light turned off and it was shifting normal again, but now It's acting up again. I need a recommendation on a OBD scanner that can read VW codes. PLEASE HELP.
mdubon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 14:32   #107
TDICADDGUY
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/46/51 with 5 speed - was 36/40/42 with 01M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubon3 View Post
I just got my 2003 Jetta TDI 1.9L Automatic and for some reason I got a check engine light while going up hill. it seems like it had issues shifting and it lost power as if it was stuck on first and it couldn't go faster than 25 MPH. with high RPM. It seems to be running ok now but it wont shift into Fift (overdrive) on the freeway with Check Engine Light. it only shifts into fourth at around 55 mph. where it used to go into over drive by then. The following day the chk engine light turned off and it was shifting normal again, but now It's acting up again. I need a recommendation on a OBD scanner that can read VW codes. PLEASE HELP.
Sounds like limp mode to me, possibly a bad sensor or connection. VCDS is really your only choice to be sure. Other OBD scanners often don't communicate properly with the TCM or the generic OBD codes don't accurately depict the fault.

FYI, this is only a 4 speed transmission. The "fifth gear" you are feeling is just the torque converter locking up. Good luck with it, these transmissions aren't the best. I swapped mine out for a 5 speed, best thing I've ever done to the car.

2000 NB 3 pedal mod RC3 PP520's Eurojet SMIC SBC 3 2.5" side exit straight pipe2" lift

TDICADDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 11:34   #108
mdubon3

Hi everyone!! I need some help.. I have a 2003 Jetta TDI, GLS. and I keep getting a random Check Engine Light. So Purchased a VAG scanner. It's the V-Checker V102 Reader. Now I need to find where I need to plug it to. Does anyone know where the plug is by any chance??? thanks for the help.
Old March 8th, 2012, 11:38   #109
mdubon3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDICADDGUY View Post
Sounds like limp mode to me, possibly a bad sensor or connection. VCDS is really your only choice to be sure. Other OBD scanners often don't communicate properly with the TCM or the generic OBD codes don't accurately depict the fault.

FYI, this is only a 4 speed transmission. The "fifth gear" you are feeling is just the torque converter locking up. Good luck with it, these transmissions aren't the best. I swapped mine out for a 5 speed, best thing I've ever done to the car.
THANK YOU FOR THE ADVISE.
I purchased scanner and I'm trying to plug it to the Jetta but I can't find the plug. Supposedly the scanner that I bouth has all the codes specifically for the VolksWagen. We'll see. Do you know where the plug is in a Jetta TDI 2003 by any chance?
Old March 8th, 2012, 14:57   #110
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

By the driver's left leg, up from and to the left of the clutch pedal.
2001 blue TDI Jetta, Malone Stage 3. Grrrr baby... very grrrrrrr!
1970 Bay Window bus... not so grrrrr

Last edited by Vince Waldon; March 9th, 2012 at 08:26.
Vince Waldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 13:37   #111
dubidoobs
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41.0 Running MPG; Combined avg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWV View Post
Question.
For my 04 Jetta wagon I've seen lots of talk about Vag Com but what about this one.
http://www.obdcom.com/index.htm
I keep getting engine light on, especially in the winter and I'm tired of having to take it to the dealer to clear it.
Has anyone tried obdcom and compared it to Vag Com for the more simple requirements.
Thanks
IMHO, put the $87.95 towards a VCDS, if you have a VAG car.
I can associate this with the "one size does not fit all" cliche...in my experience, the term "universal" isn't always, when it comes to VAG cars...but if you just need something to read a code, or clear maintenance/MIL lights, then why not...

VCDS is for the big boys!
dubidoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 21:06   #112
miguelandrade100

TDI(s): Golf TDI

When I park my 2000 volkswagen Golf TDI in a place of lotes of sun after 20 a 30 minutes the alarme came on.can you help me to discouver the problem.Thank you
miguelandrade100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 11:55   #113
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

m- try posting over in the MKIV forum
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 06:03   #114
MacBuckeye
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 38 avrg, 46.5 best
Default VAGCOM vs. dealer scan tool

Hi all. Wasn't sure where to post this....

Are there any differences in the scan / data between our Ross-Tech VACGOM tool and what the dealer has? I've been tracking data (oil ash accumulation) using VAGCOM. I'm just curious if the data is the same when the dealer scans the car and we scan the car. I'm assuming it is, but you know what happens when you assume...
Old February 17th, 2014, 06:50   #115
jef@rosstech
Associate Ross-Tech Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBuckeye View Post
Hi all. Wasn't sure where to post this....

Are there any differences in the scan / data between our Ross-Tech VACGOM tool and what the dealer has?
The control modules generate the data, the scan tool, be it VCDS or the factory scan tool, is just relaying that data. So both will show you the same thing... just one is affordable and doesn't screw over your paycheck because misGuided Fault Finding wasted 2.6 hours of your life, but then only flagged 64 time units. Damn you misGFF! Damn you to HELL!

What should you do first with VCDS? AUTOSCAN!
jef@rosstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 18:52   #116
MacBuckeye
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 38 avrg, 46.5 best

LOL.... How could I forget the agony of waiting at the dealership, add the exorbitant shop diagnostic fee, and then the unreliable results and workmanship.
What was I thinking???
Old March 1st, 2014, 08:00   #117
toxic_el

Hi all. I recently bought '99 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI, and since the first day I'm having problem when starting it in the moring. It takes too long for it to start. I have replaced coolant temperature sensor and changed glow plugs but still same. I recently read a post saying that its usualy pump timing. Thats why I timed my pump using vag-com app, and following this tutorial:
http://www.ross-tech...e/TDIGraph.html

After I did this still nothing. Maybe I did somethig wrong since I couldnt find skoda in the graph list, and I was selecting Golf AGR/AHF/ALH>4.99 since my engine is AGR.
At the first photo is the setting before I played with it
and the second one is the one after setting it.
Hope someone can help me find the solution.
Thanks in advance!
toxic_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2014, 16:46   #118
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG144 View Post
Hook up the VCDS to the car. Turn on the key.
choose Select, Engine, Measuring blocks, look in the upper left corner of the screen for the file named xxxx.lbl.

Double click on that file and it opens up with NOTEPAD. Then you can print it or note the path, and do whatever you wish with it.
Hmmm, I can't find this using Hex-Net & VCDS-Mobile. Any suggestions?

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 12:32   #119
gman1954

Hello all, from Bama, Actron Scan code P0670, 40 degrees no start, Glow Plug to ground no voltage until engine is started then 12.5 volts. New Glow Plugs install. Glow Plug Relay?? Heater on engine at night starts ok.
Advice needs motor heads.
Thanks
Gman
gman1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 12:11   #120
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Plugs should get volts with ignition on, if not, check Relay 109, wires, ignition switch.
If your Relay 109 is black, just order a new one.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote