www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 00:32   #31
Dieselmad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahkuzma View Post
Do not really smell any exhaust fumes when popping the oil fill cap. Taking the head off, to check the head gasket, will be a little beyond my skill set.

I am going to do a full coolant flush to get all the oil out and to see if the oil re-contaminates the coolant reservoir.

I am thinking I may have multiple issues going on...have to start isolating individual problems.
If the oil re-contaminates the coolant then i would start by checking the head gasket first. While the head is off ask your mechanic that you want to check it for yourself and also check the sleeves.
Dieselmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 11:03   #32
jonahkuzma

Fuel Economy: YMMV

Will take note to check head gasket if I recontaminate the coolant.

Thanks
jonahkuzma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:48   #33
jonahkuzma

Fuel Economy: YMMV

Coolant reservoir recontaminated with oil after 2 days of driving. Time to look at the head gasket now.
Old April 14th, 2012, 00:18   #34
Dieselmad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahkuzma View Post
Coolant reservoir recontaminated with oil after 2 days of driving. Time to look at the head gasket now.
Sorry to hear. While the head is off ask the mechanic to check for piston play and wear and also the valve play in the guides.
Dieselmad is offline   Reply With Quote