www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 01:32   #31
Dieselmad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahkuzma View Post
Do not really smell any exhaust fumes when popping the oil fill cap. Taking the head off, to check the head gasket, will be a little beyond my skill set.

I am going to do a full coolant flush to get all the oil out and to see if the oil re-contaminates the coolant reservoir.

I am thinking I may have multiple issues going on...have to start isolating individual problems.
If the oil re-contaminates the coolant then i would start by checking the head gasket first. While the head is off ask your mechanic that you want to check it for yourself and also check the sleeves.
Dieselmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 12:03   #32
jonahkuzma

Fuel Economy: YMMV

Will take note to check head gasket if I recontaminate the coolant.

Thanks
jonahkuzma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:48   #33
jonahkuzma

Fuel Economy: YMMV

Coolant reservoir recontaminated with oil after 2 days of driving. Time to look at the head gasket now.
Old April 14th, 2012, 01:18   #34
Dieselmad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahkuzma View Post
Coolant reservoir recontaminated with oil after 2 days of driving. Time to look at the head gasket now.
Sorry to hear. While the head is off ask the mechanic to check for piston play and wear and also the valve play in the guides.
Dieselmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 13:50   #35
BlueOval

Fuel Economy: 58.66

ON my '03 ALH I was using oil and took the "puc" off the top of the valve cover and inserted a piece of 5/16" fuel line inside and popped it back on the valve cover... this cut my oil consumption down... I tried foam as a test and it just built up too much pressure.. make sure you try it on the valve cover side... dont want to hurt your turbo...
BlueOval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2016, 08:58   #36
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

Is the oil vapor strainer in the PD valve cover replaceable or a new cover is needed ?
Aleksander Prokhorenko , Charles Keating ,Russian and US special forces KIA against ISIS. RIP heroes
Dimitri16V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2016, 09:52   #37
hey_allen
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOval View Post
ON my '03 ALH I was using oil and took the "puc" off the top of the valve cover and inserted a piece of 5/16" fuel line inside and popped it back on the valve cover...
Where did you install the fuel line? Is that inside the puck or the valve cover?

I'm definitely interested, as my 2000 ALH sees a bit of oil blow-by going through the separator.

On that note, has anyone else seen oil seeping from the weep hole on the EGR valve? I was chasing what I thought was a filler cap leak but it turned out to be a fine spray coming from the weep hole under the EGR actuator.
hey_allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2016, 10:09   #38
KLXD
Veteran Member

Is that like attaching a cow magnet to the fuel line? " inserted a piece of 5/16" fuel line inside" is not a very thorough explanation of the procedure.

Losts people have seen oil out of the EGR valve vent. Live with it, replace it, don't plug it. Search!

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2016, 10:38   #39
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Restricting the inlet on the CCV pressure regulator (puck) is a bad idea. This increases crankcase pressure and if pressure is high enough it will find its way to freedom via one or more oils seals.

There are 2 viable options for eliminating suspended oil in the blowby gasses: (1) install an inline oil-coalescing filter (Mann Provent, e.g.) between regulator and intake manifold or (2) vent the CCV pressure regulator to atmosphere using a catch can (and plugging the CCV inlet nipple on the intake manifold).
'01 Golf TDI 5MT
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Chris Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2016, 17:00   #40
UhOh
Veteran Member

Regarding possible compromised head gaskets, do combustion leak testers work (for diesels)? Or do compression testers work better?
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote