www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:13   #16
sgoldste01
Veteran Member

Even before I was old enough to get my learner's permit, I was passionate about cars and driving. I watched my parents drive like a hawk, and asked questions (about the car, about the rules of the road, etc.). When it was close to my 16th birthday, I grabbed and studied the guide, but I already knew everything with the exception of things like DWI blood alcohol percentages, points against your license for infractions, etc. Passed my learner's permit test first time. Then took my road test in my Dad's 1976 VW Rabbit with a 4-speed stick. People thought I was crazy taking my road test in a manual tranny car (you had to use hand signals during the road test back then), but I did it smoothly, and passed my road test on the first try too.

My son turned 16 just a couple of weeks ago, on 3/24. His birthday was on a Saturday, which would have killed me when I was 16 (I made my Mom bring me to the DMV on my 16th birthday). But my son didn't have the burning desire to start driving ASAP like I did when I was his age. I finally got him to take his learner's permit test this past Monday, and that was only because he's on spring break, and I had Monday off as a floating holiday from my employer. So it was convenient for both of us. Even so, I had to urge him repeatedly to study and make sure that he was ready, or he wouldn't have taken the test on Monday either. He passed the test with a 90%. I'm teaching him to drive a stick now, using my old 1999 Honda Civic that I kept as a "kids' car" after buying the 2010 Golf. My 18-year-old daughter learned to drive on the Civic, and now it's my son's turn.

But neither of my kids had the burning desire to drive like I had when I was 16. For me, driving was priority #1. My kids' indifference was overwhelming.

I just don't get it.

Last edited by sgoldste01; April 11th, 2012 at 08:03.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 07:58   #17
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
Even before I was old enough to get my learner's permit, I was passionate about cars and driving. I watched my parents drive like a hawk, and asked questions (about the car, about the rules of the road, etc.). When it was close to my 16th birthday, I grabbed and studied the guide, but I already knew everything with the exception of things like DWI blood alcohol percentages, points against your license for infractions, etc. Passed my learner's permit test first time. Then took my road test in my Dad's 1976 VW Rabbit with a 4-speed stick. People thought I was crazy taking my road test in a manual tranny car (you had to use hand signals during the road test back then), but I did it smoothly, and passed my road test on the first try too.

My son turned 16 just a couple of weeks ago, on 3/24. His birthday was on a Saturday, which would have killed me when I was 16. But my son didn't have the burning desire to start driving ASAP like I did when I was his age. I finally got him to take his learner's permit test this past Monday, and that was only because he's on spring break, and I had Monday off as a floating holiday from my employer. So it was convenient for both of us. Even so, I had to urge him repeatedly to study and make sure that he was ready, or he wouldn't have taken the test on Monday either. He passed the test with a 90%. I'm teaching him to drive a stick now, using my old 1999 Honda Civic that I kept as a "kids' car" after buying the 2010 Golf. My 18-year-old daughter learned to drive on the Civic, and now it's my son's turn.

But neither of my kids had the burning desire to drive like I had when I was 16. For me, driving was priority #1. My kids' indifference was overwhelming.

I just don't get it.
Interesting take on the kids not having the desire to drive at an early age. Maybe it has something to do with the ability to connect with their friends via social networking and cell phones, both of which we didn't have way back when. My quest to drive in 1961 was freedom from the boring house and the ability to go places and see friends.

Today, my granddaughter (17 years old) drives to school (she has to based on the situation) but is constantly "connected" via the iPhone and computer.
Malone tune, GTI Wheel with paddle shifters, Premium 8 Sound, Good camshaft & DMF, 155K miles, Black on Black, HIDs by Jeff, 4 new wheel bearings!
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:56   #18
LiLredTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ohh...I'd say bout 42mpg

Funny dialogue in this thread.

My daughter failed the written exam before she took it...........LoL

Let me explain, Miss PITA, know-it-all INSISTED she did not need her birth certificate as part of the paperwork to take the test. I tried to be a patient, understanding Dad and explain/reason with her that this was not the case and you need the birth certificate.

After her continued protests that she did NOT need the certificate I angrily drove her to the DMV any way to prove a point.

After standing in line and about 20 seconds after her telling the clerk hello, she was asked for her birth certificate : )

It was a quiet ride home.........LoL
2004 Jetta PD-RC race, 17/22,stg.IIcoltcam PD150 Inj.,Rosten Rods, Ported head,PP DP, cat delete/2 1/2" piping/Magnaflo muffler, R32 airbox/snorkle,PD150 TIP, SB stg 3 ,NSboost/egt gauges, BBS RS II's, Koni FSD/Eibach Kit, M3 side skirts/ rearwindow spoiler,GLI F/R lips FK bumper scoops

LiLredTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:19   #19
supton
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/46/33

lol... I could see myself doing that. Actually, I *do* do that already. But my kids are much much younger.
supton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:31   #20
sgoldste01
Veteran Member

The NYS DMV web site provides a look-up table (PDF file, I believe) that spells out what date of birth and citizenship documents you must provide to get a learner's permit, driver's license, etc. In addition to you telling your daughter that a birth certificate (with a raised seal! no photocopies allowed) is required, doesn't MD's DMV web site provide this kind of documentation? If so, did you show it to your daughter? If so, then she really is astoundingly stubborn.
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:32   #21
IndigoBlueWagon
Principal IDPartsVendor
w/Business number

My licensing experience is too old to be relevant, but I would say my kids were moderately eager to get their licenses. We live in a suburban town with no public transportation, so the desire to be able to get out of the house was strong. They all drove themselves to school at one point or another, and student parking spaces at our high school are hard to come by, so many kids drive themselves. The school bus has a tremendous negative stigma for high school kids. Besides, like many towns, ours charges for the bus, so avoiding that cost helps defray some of the car expenses. Of course they charge for a parking permit, too.

All my kids passed the lerners' permit test the first try, and only one failed the driving test because he made a u-turn where the state cop asked for a 3-point turn. The road was wide enough for a u-turn so that's what my son did. He was very angry at me when he failed, in part blaming me for making him take the test in a car with a manual transmission. I said that if he couldn't pass the test in that car (his) then he shouldn't be driving it. Ironically, he's had the best driving record of the three.
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:16   #22
TomJD
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 worst - 49 avg - 59 best

I got my permit a month after I turned 15. I got it on my first try. I got my license about 4 months after my 16 birthday, again first try. I own my own car, and pay for my own insurance. I don't text because my car is more valuable than any text message in the world.

That said, I think there is some truth to this article. I am in college now and know of a bunch of people who don't even have licenses. I have relatives who waited until they are older to get their licenses and they all turned out to be fine drivers. The underlying cause is usually insurance. I know I pay as much for insurance as both my parents do combined, and my car is titled in my father's name to help with the insurance costs. This, combined with gas prices, means that people would rather let mom drive them around. No shame in having mom drive you on your first date

I work a lot too, so I can afford a car (and its maintenance). But it isn't economically feasible for most people I know.

2000 VW Jetta TDI-3 pedals

Last edited by TomJD; April 12th, 2012 at 10:17. Reason: added "and its maintenance"
TomJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:56   #23
slamhouse
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than 95% of cars on the road

Im 20 and bought my jetta when i was 19 for 20k $ financed at 5.7%. I pay 400 a month for insurance and 330 a mo th for the car payment.

730$ a month just to have it sit in the driveway.

I consider myself responsible and i believe the big factor in teen driving is outside influence from friends and their habits...

GDE Tune and Meguiars on the tires
slamhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 20:17   #24
T-Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicaman View Post
Gosh I remember taking my driving test in a 1969 Buick Skylark 2 door hardtop way back in 1976. Remember those separate shoulder and lap belts on the cars in that era?
My 1992 Jetta has seat belts like that, everyone who rides in the passenger seat usually takes awhile to figure them out since it's an unorthodox style these days. I love it...lol

Strangely enough the older 84 has "normal" 3 point seat belts like most cars. Maybe since it was made in USA instead of coming over on a crate from Wolfsburg, Germany like the 92.
T-Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 02:22   #25
sgoldste01
Veteran Member

My Dad's 1976 Rabbit had the shoulder belt that was anchored to the door. I don't recall if it had a lap belts at all. I think there was some kind of a knee pad that was supposed to keep you from submarining down into the foot area. Seems pretty sketchy to me, now that I think about it.

Last edited by sgoldste01; April 13th, 2012 at 10:25.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 14:05   #26
That Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City 42 Hyw 59 (Before and after upgrades)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicaman View Post
Gosh I remember taking my driving test in a 1969 Buick Skylark 2 door hardtop way back in 1976. Remember those separate shoulder and lap belts on the cars in that era?
My parents had a 69 Buick Skylark....green with black vinyl roof.

I learned how to drive on that and a 49 Chev....back in the late 70's.

I don't know why the kids today wouldn't want to get their license right away.

I loved driving....drove the Chev when I was 4. Well...I pushed on the starter on the floor while it was in gear but the ignition was off. It'd move the truck ahead a little at a time while my dad shoveled "stuff" off the back into the garden.

Could reach the pedals when I was 7. Drove around the farm for years.

Got my learners when I was 14...and my license a day or so after I turned 16.

Driving rules.

I'm 40 now...and still like driving....but don't really care to much for many of the other drivers these days.

Green 2001 Golf 1.9 TDI (A4 - ALH) (New June 2001)5 spd man, 151000 Km (Aug 2012), PP520 nozzles; SBC Stage 2 Endurance Clutch w/SMF; GT1749VB; Malone tune, Multiple upgrades.
Black 2009 GTI 2.0 TSI (New Dec 2009)6 spd dsg, 53000 Km (Apr 2012),stock
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:55   #27
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

I think that graduated licensing should work a different way from how it currently does.

Right now, graduated licensing restricts when you can drive, and with how many people you can drive. (Also, implementations that let you bypass requirements the moment you turn 18 suck.)

IMO, graduated licensing should focus more on WHAT you can drive.

A basic license that would be almost impossible to lose should get you the equivalent of Europe's light quadricycles - they'll get you to work, although they'll be deathtraps on anything more than 35 mph roads. (In fact, Europe treats a light quadricycle as a four-wheel moped, legally, so in some states, they'd be illegal to operate on roads with over a 35 mph speed limit - making the closest analogue in the US the Neighborhood Electric Vehicle.) On the flip side, they won't hurt the other guy if you run into someone.

Then, the current licensing standards should get you into something between Europe's heavy quadricycles and a four-wheel variation on the maximum of the US three-wheel motorcycle laws (1499-1749 pound max, depending on state - I'm in favor of making it 1749 so that there's enough Geo Metros out there to make it work). This would require another test.

Note that both of those classes would have low or non-existent safety requirements on the cars.

To drive what people would call a "real car", you would need to pass a "real car" test, which would nearly be CDL strict. There would still be limits on this class, too, though - 8500 pound max GVWR, 7 passengers max. Also have retesting every 5-10 years.

Anything more than that, as well as towing anything above a certain length or weight, would require a full Class C CDL. And, CDLs should be retested at renewal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.

Last edited by bhtooefr; April 18th, 2012 at 04:57.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:34   #28
cmitchell
Veteran Member

Yesterday, one of my students failed the written test for the learner's permit ... for the 2nd time ...

2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5 speed black / black leather
2013 Subaru Outback Limited Cypress Green (Wife's)
1983 Isuzu P'up 4X4 diesel 4 speed
cmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:37   #29
sgoldste01
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell View Post
Yesterday, one of my students failed the written test for the learner's permit ... for the 2nd time ...
Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, eh?
Old April 18th, 2012, 07:58   #30
RNDDUDE
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLredTDI View Post
Funny dialogue in this thread.

My daughter failed the written exam before she took it...........LoL

Let me explain, Miss PITA, know-it-all INSISTED she did not need her birth certificate as part of the paperwork to take the test. I tried to be a patient, understanding Dad and explain/reason with her that this was not the case and you need the birth certificate.

After her continued protests that she did NOT need the certificate I angrily drove her to the DMV any way to prove a point.

After standing in line and about 20 seconds after her telling the clerk hello, she was asked for her birth certificate : )

It was a quiet ride home.........LoL
You've got my vote for parent of the month!
RNDDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote