www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2012

TDIFest 2012 Discussion about TDIFest 2012 on the Labour Day weekend (August 31st to September 2nd, 2012) in Ypsilanti (Ypsi), Michigan.

Old April 11th, 2012, 21:44   #256
deegingerkid
Beware the Ginger! Vendor

Fuel Economy: 38-44 depending on lead-footed-ness and highway/city proportion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbuschman View Post
Hey Everyone,

I don't actually have the TDI in my posession yet, but I've reserved one that the dealer says will arrive within the month so I'll have it in plenty of time for TDI Fest! Can't wait! It's only about 200 miles from me, so 1 tank should cover me there and back.

I'm in Cleveland, Ohio so if anyone is coming from East of Cleveland on Rt. 90 or Rt. 80 maybe we could meet up and convoy it. Not sure how many miles I'll have on the car by the end of August, though, so I may be driving back roads if I'm still in the break-in period..
I'll be going up from the Toledo area. I'll follow along.
deegingerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 03:00   #257
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

How long was I on this forum without a TDI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:24   #258
Sootman
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006.5 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 45-50 MPG

Only 15.5 hours and 900+ miles away! I'll probably see about 2- days each way unless the traffic is flowing. I've just done 2-trips to northern Maine (750+ miles each in 1 day and a trip to PA and another to VA in the last month) so maybe 900+ miles in a day would make more sense. Still need to check with the wife, but I suspect no one will miss me here for a few days.

I haven't attended a Fest since DC in '09. It would be great to see many old friends. Since a bunch of mods to the car it would be a great trip!
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/index.php
Dyno: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=352348
Sootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:55   #259
Torque_Delight
Modded

Fuel Economy: ~5 l/100km

Can't wait to meet you there !
Jetta TDI 2001 GL (~590 000 km) : GT-1749VB, EGT/O2/Boost Gauges, Scangauge II, Sachs VR6 Clutch kit, OEM G60 Flywheel, 502 Nozzles, MRTuning, Euroswitch, Hella Micro-DE w/ yellow bulb, Rear fog, Wolfsburg's Heated Seats, Koni STR.T Shocks, H&R OE Sport Springs, TT Control Arm Bushings, 17" Santa Monica (GTI VR6) Wheels, DieselGeek Skid Plate, FX35 HID Projectors Retrofit, GLI Tail Lights, 2004 Trunk lid.
Torque_Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 12:22   #260
IndigoBlueWagon
Principal IDPartsVendor
w/Business number

It's not a bad one-day drive at all. Just bite the bullet and pay the tolls on the NYS Thruway. Better road, Starbucks in the rest areas. And you can cut through Canada if you want.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 14:13   #261
Sootman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
It's not a bad one-day drive at all. Just bite the bullet and pay the tolls on the NYS Thruway. Better road, Starbucks in the rest areas. And you can cut through Canada if you want.
Sounds good! I just renewed my passport so I can cut through Canada. Maybe we can all meet at the Charleston rest area on I-90 and have a race from there.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 06:31   #262
n8ronJ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.6 high

I'm planning on this for my first TDIFest. Ypsi is close to my brother's house. I will be in a mini convoy with Rocketeer928. We might cause a double take or two on the ride - two identical looking rides blasting thru the Great White North.

I'm thinking of bring my 12yo son with me - how bored would he be? I guess I'll have to read thru some previous Fest threads to understand more of what to expect.

2003 Jetta GLS TDI, 220k, Platinum Grey, 5 Speed, SBC Stage2 Daily, Evo Atlas Skidplate, RC3
n8ronJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 06:36   #263
mrvermin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sootman View Post
Sounds good! I just renewed my passport so I can cut through Canada. Maybe we can all meet at the Charleston rest area on I-90 and have a race from there.

Ummmmm While cutting through Canada may seem like a fun idea, fuel is more expensive up here ... At over $5 per gallon

Then it puts you on the "401" passing through Toronto, on a highway that is more congested than even the highways in LA, seriously... look it up...

If you still want to go through Canada, I'd love to meet up with you guys as you pass through Toronto on you way to the Fest...

MrVermin
2001 Jetta TDI: 6speed ERF swap, Fully Built Block & Head, RC Tuned, Race520's, Colt Stage2 Cam, PD150 Intake, PD150 RacePipe, VNT17/22, OMI, 3" Full Exhaust, 3BAR MAP, 11mm IP, Defender Skidplate, 17" Ariettas, GLI Suspension, Audi TT LCA Bushings,

mrvermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:05   #264
n8ronJ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.6 high

I'll be crossing Lewiston-Queenston (or Rainbow if traffic is better there) and driving 403 to 401. Is that interchange around Hamilton? We will be well south of TO :-) If the bridge waits are not horrendous then going thru Canada is a couple hours quicker than the states. I love that I'll be able to do the entire round-trip (and do some extra driving) and still have plenty in the fuel tank when I return home.

2003 Jetta GLS TDI, 220k, Platinum Grey, 5 Speed, SBC Stage2 Daily, Evo Atlas Skidplate, RC3
n8ronJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:52   #265
mrvermin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8ronJ View Post
I'll be crossing Lewiston-Queenston (or Rainbow if traffic is better there) and driving 403 to 401. Is that interchange around Hamilton? We will be well south of TO :-) If the bridge waits are not horrendous then going thru Canada is a couple hours quicker than the states. I love that I'll be able to do the entire round-trip (and do some extra driving) and still have plenty in the fuel tank when I return home.
The Queenston/Lewiston bridge has been under construction for over two years now and the wait times coming into Canada can get rather ugly

If you are coming that way, best bet is take the 405 from the Queenston/Lewiston bridge to the QEW. then the QEW to "Red Hill Valley Parkway", that bypasses Hamilton and saves you some time. The "Red Hill Valley Parkway" becomes the "Lincoln M Alexander Parkway" and ends at the 403. Take the 403 west to the 401 and you have missed all the traffic.

Fun trip

Later, and see you there.

MrVermin
2001 Jetta TDI: 6speed ERF swap, Fully Built Block & Head, RC Tuned, Race520's, Colt Stage2 Cam, PD150 Intake, PD150 RacePipe, VNT17/22, OMI, 3" Full Exhaust, 3BAR MAP, 11mm IP, Defender Skidplate, 17" Ariettas, GLI Suspension, Audi TT LCA Bushings,

Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:53   #266
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8ronJ View Post
I'll be crossing Lewiston-Queenston (or Rainbow if traffic is better there) and driving 403 to 401. Is that interchange around Hamilton?
Hey! I've driven through Ontario on my way to Michigan several years ago with no problems at all. It's easy. Besides, my GPS works for all of North America, including The Great White North, so follow me and you won't go wrong. It will be weird to see to 2003 platinum grays going down the 403 and 401 together. Looking forward to it.

rocketeer928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:59   #267
mrvermin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketeer928 View Post
Hey! I've driven through Ontario on my way to Michigan several years ago with no problems at all. It's easy. Besides, my GPS works for all of North America, including The Great White North, so follow me and you won't go wrong. It will be weird to see to 2003 platinum grays going down the 403 and 401 together. Looking forward to it.
LOL... On the QEW and 403/401 TDI's are common place. We get lines of them all the time... what's two more LOL

Let me know when you plan to pass through and I'll join up with you if the schedules mesh...

MrVermin

Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:08   #268
Sootman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvermin View Post
Ummmmm While cutting through Canada may seem like a fun idea, fuel is more expensive up here ... At over $5 per gallon

Then it puts you on the "401" passing through Toronto, on a highway that is more congested than even the highways in LA, seriously... look it up...

If you still want to go through Canada, I'd love to meet up with you guys as you pass through Toronto on you way to the Fest...

MrVermin
My plan was to cross at Buffalo/Hamilton and come back through Detroit to avoid Cleveland. I can easily do that on a fill-up on the U.S. side.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:49   #269
MikeS_18
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sootman View Post
My plan was to cross at Buffalo/Hamilton and come back through Detroit to avoid Cleveland. I can easily do that on a fill-up on the U.S. side.
Not sure it really saves time depending on the lines at the borders...but Ohio is just soo boring to drive through...
'03 Wagon, 5spd, 17/22 turbo, RC4, Sprint 520s, Stage 1 clutch, Old Man Intake, Lift Pump, TT Short Shifter, EGR Cooler Deleted, Koni Reds, Neuspeed Upper Tie Bar, Euro Tailights, A FIVE BRAKE LIGHT MODDDD!, Aspherical Mirrors, DG skidplate, Ecodes, Phatbox, Cupholder Console, Thule Roof Basket, 800 Mile/tank club, Secret Ingredient
'64 Ford Econoline Travel Wagon, 170ci straight six, 3 spd, 17mpgs "If it's got a hood, it ain't no good!"

MikeS_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 10:47   #270
Sootman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS_18 View Post
Not sure it really saves time depending on the lines at the borders...but Ohio is just soo boring to drive through...
That was my thinking Mike. If for nothing else a change of pace.