www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old April 5th, 2012, 10:56   #1
XCR583

Question High Mileage 2011-2012/HPFP??

Ok...I know you guys are probably sick of us newbies asking all the questions but I am going to ask anyhow. I am looking at purchasing a new 2012 Jetta TDI w/ 6 speed manual. Ive been doing research on here and using the search function. What I am wondering is if there are any high mileage 2011-2012s that have not had issues? Any higher mileage 2011-2012 using an additive and not had issues? This is the only thing thats holding me back from buying a new TDI right now. I traditionally keep my car 10 years and could have upwards of 200,000 miles on it when I go to sell it. I understand right now its a small percent having isssues but how many have some miles on them? Will the failure rate go up as more get miles on them? I sent an email to VW to see what their response it but havent heard back from them yet. Sorry to beat a dead horse for most of you.
XCR583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 12:24   #2
truman
Veteran Member

Geico insurance w/ mechanical break down coverage seems like a good way to go for the first 100k. At that point enough evidence should be available on whether it's a long term keeper or not.
truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 12:33   #3
Engineers<3Diesel
Veteran Member

Not too much data out there on the 2011s and even less on the 2012s. The % of failures does seem to be going down over the year models but not sure how much of that is attributed to the lower overall miles or the improvements made in the pump design. At a minimum you have 3/36K to figure things out. I took the change on the 2012 and couldn't be happier.
Engineers<3Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 13:42   #4
Savageman69
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Highest 61.9 Mpg (2003 tdi) Highest 60.1 Mpg (2011)

37k here and not one issue
11 Jetta TDI Highline - 6mt - Candy White - Malone Stage 3 - Full Rawtek 3inch Stainless Exhaust - Cr170 Turbo - Egr Cooler Delete - IC Kit Delete - Apr Airbox - Intake Flapper Disable - SG II - Krown`d - Aqualpel`d - Hitch - Tint - TPMS Enabled - TSC button - Chopped shifter - Plasti dipped (rims,grill,window trim) - Custom w/b emblem - Full LED Swap - RS Wheel Controls - Best MPG: 60.1...1st 900mile club member
Savageman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 18:39   #5
XCR583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineers<3Diesel View Post
Not too much data out there on the 2011s and even less on the 2012s. The % of failures does seem to be going down over the year models but not sure how much of that is attributed to the lower overall miles or the improvements made in the pump design. At a minimum you have 3/36K to figure things out. I took the change on the 2012 and couldn't be happier.
So have they been working on the pump design? Has it been improved over the years?
Old April 5th, 2012, 18:46   #6
mo_focus
Veteran Member

67Km, no issues.

No additives. I'm planning to keep mine for 4yrs/200Kms. Hopefully no issues. Last 2 fuel filter changes showed no sign of metal particles.
Old April 5th, 2012, 20:25   #7
HammerTDI

Fuel Economy: 42.1

I emailed VW today to ask about the HPFP on 2012 models. The advocate I spoke with says that VW is extending the coverage on this part under the powertrain portion of the warranty. This means the HPFP is covered for 5/60 instead of 3/36.

He stated he was confident it applies on 2009-2011 model year vehicles. He is checking on the 2012s. He stated he would email me with conformation tomorrow on weather my actual VIN has the HPFP covered to 5/60. I will post the email I receive from VW as soon as I get it.

As far as a new one, an auto trader search reveals several 2009 examples with well over 100K on them. That has the CR setup that is used in the 2012s as well. The highest mile 2011 I have seen on line has 60k on it.
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:42   #8
Engineers<3Diesel
Veteran Member

To answer your question, yes they have had a few pump redesigns (3 or 4 I think). There is a very good thread about the HPFP failures if you've got a night you want to kill. Read through and you'll see graphs of the failures based on mileage as well as some interesting information about fuel contamination.

The long and short of it is we don't know if it is the pump design, fuel contamination, poor fuel lubricity or a combination of everything that causes them to fail. Again check out the thread in the news section so this one doesn't become a duplicate discussion.
Engineers<3Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 10:16   #9
rtking
Veteran Member

42K miles - zero issues. I do use Redline Diesel Fuel Catalyst every fill up, though, and I "over-dose" at 4 ounces per fill up just to be safe. (Should only require 2 ounces.)
Old April 6th, 2012, 16:33   #10
AirmanTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 Avg L/100 Km

71,000 k's, all good so far
Old April 6th, 2012, 22:04   #11
bluelineman
Veteran Member

42K Miles, no problems. I did the 40K service myself, no metal flakes in the fuel filter. I ran a scan on my VCDS & everything looks good.

EDITED TO ADD: I'm running OptiLube XPD.

Last edited by bluelineman; April 6th, 2012 at 22:07.
bluelineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 14:07   #12
XCR583

Emailed VW the other night. Here is my question and there response.

The Topic: Product Information
The Name: Greg
The Email:
The Comment: Looking at purchasing a 2012 Jetta TDI and have done some research. Keep reading about HPFP failure. This has me nervous about buying the car. What is VW doing about this? Any information you can provide on this? I keep reading about VERY expensive repairs. Thanks

Dear Greg:

Thank you for contacting the Volkswagen Information Center. We appreciate your interest in the clean-diesel TDI Passat!

Volkswagen Group of America is cooperating fully with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration's (NHTSA's) investigation of fuel pump issues in certain Volkswagen and Audi models equipped with 2.0-liter TDI diesel engines. Volkswagen has informed NHTSA that it does not believe the complaints reflect a safety defect in the fuel pump. Volkswagen's own data, which we have presented to NHTSA, suggest that contamination of the diesel fuel that results in a loss of lubrication in the fuel pump may explain many of the observed failures.

In addition to supporting NHTSA's investigation, Volkswagen and Audi will continue to work with customers who have experienced fuel system issues in models equipped with our 2.0-liter TDI engine. Volkswagen will examine whether external factors may have resulted in fuel contamination and will work with individual fuel suppliers or other parties as needed. In any event, Volkswagen will continue to cooperate fully with NHTSA's investigation.

Please know we want you to be confident in your Volkswagen purchase. We will stand behind you and your Passat with both our warranties and our Customer Service staff. In an effort to alleviate our customers' apprehension with perceived concerns regarding the high pressure fuel pump, we have added this component to the list of covered components under the Powertrain Limited Warranty for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

If you have any additional concerns or questions, please don't hesitate to contact us at 1-800-DRIVE VW. Advocates are available to assist you Monday through Friday, 8:00AM to 6:00PM, local time.

I'd love to see you motoring with us in a new Passat soon! I hope you'll visit your local VW dealer to test drive one. I'm certain it'll be love at first drive.

Thanks for visiting VW.com. Have a great day!

Emily
Volktalk
Old April 7th, 2012, 14:10   #13
XCR583

I did go into the dealer this morning and talked to the salesman and didnt know a whole lot about it but did take me back and talk to one of the mechanics. Long storey short, mechanic said run good fuel and said no additives. I think I am going to give one a try. Hopefully I dont regret it.
Old April 7th, 2012, 14:41   #14
Jack Frost
Veteran Member

My 2009 car has 117,000 km with no issues except for one replaced rear wheel bearing which may be the result of the dust from gravel roads. The car itself looks and runs as good a new only missing the new car smell.
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 (gone but not forgotton)
Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 18:13   #15
Skatch_TDI
Veteran Member

God to have confirmation from VW that they have added the HPFP to the 5 year powertrain warranty.

Thanks for posting this XCR583. Enjoy your VW.
Skatch_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote