www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old April 6th, 2012, 06:53   #31
Satiro
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNXGUY View Post
placebo effect.
I think the same thing. And i didn't see any dyno data in this thread at the moment... oh yeah, one butt dyno
I remove and re-install both mufflers for inspections each year. I don't remove them for another reason than better sound. I never feel any power increase/decrease for doing it. Only improvement was when i removed cat, once GT18v turbo was installed, maybe it was clogged but i doubt it.

Problem with those snarky comments is people lost their 'appetence' of helping to the others, and that's an issue in forums. My hands are soiled in every car work, don't tell me/us crap please...
Some goodies! ARL pistons - PD100 rods - Ported Head - Rosten's double valve springs - ASV valves - ASV injection pump - GT18v - Race520 - FMIC (BMW530D intercooler) - PD130 fuel cooler - Lift Pump - Passat PD130 intake manifold
Satiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:09   #32
nokivasara
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Mainer View Post
"BTW, comments about 'AUTHORITY' do not enhance ones standing."

Not sure if that was directed at me or not, but I was simply stating that it is simple fluid dynamics that pressure drop through a system is cumulative, meaning if you pull the muffler it will reduce the overall system pressure drop, obviously not by very much, but some. Thanks for the heads up though, I was pretty worried about my standings here.
Yes but if the exhaust system isn't restrictive in the first place, opening it up will not do much of a difference. The stock exhaust flows good enough unless your car is modded.
But it's so damn muffled that removing the silencer will only do good sound-vise
nokivasara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 13:27   #33
nkgagne
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly in signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex4TDI4Life View Post
I ditched mine because it was easier to have the car lose 40lbs than it was for ME to lose 40lbs
^^this

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNXGUY View Post
I hacked mine off as well, but I didn't do it for a hp/trq gain.. Sound alone was well worth it.
^^and this!\

That's why I did it. Love the sound, and love losing a big hulking pile of metal & soot to haul around. As for hp/tq gain, I highly doubt it - if anything, it's nothing to write home about. But it sounds nice if you run the tip out right to the rear and don't turn it down 90* (if you point it down, the sounds reflects off the ground - and if that's under the car, it reflects back into the car). The car is a bit loud when very cold and when coasting at >2700 RPM in gear. Other than that, it's nice!

14 Lb SMF / SBC Stg II Daily, Mufflerectomy, Ventectomy. Possibly tuned by PO.
nkgagne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 17:34   #34
01Bora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satiro View Post
I think the same thing. And i didn't see any dyno data in this thread at the moment... oh yeah, one butt dyno
I remove and re-install both mufflers for inspections each year. I don't remove them for another reason than better sound. I never feel any power increase/decrease for doing it. Only improvement was when i removed cat, once GT18v turbo was installed, maybe it was clogged but i doubt it.

Problem with those snarky comments is people lost their 'appetence' of helping to the others, and that's an issue in forums. My hands are soiled in every car work, don't tell me/us crap please...
Practice what you preach. Looking forward to dyno postings.
Old April 8th, 2012, 17:45   #35
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

For all those worried about their standing please sit down lol.

As for the straight pipe, kinda sounds like a drunken Scot singing (Especially when you let off the throttle and get that turkey sound)

Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 06:01   #36
Satiro
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Bora View Post
Practice what you preach. Looking forward to dyno postings.
If you make some mod like that to the engine/car and you don't FEEL it, why you do care about dyno? what a stupid thing. Again, PLACEBO effect.
I won't preach anything more in noobs threads like this nevermore guy, don't care about my dynos, i know very well when a certain mod makes sense in my car, you do it?
Some goodies! ARL pistons - PD100 rods - Ported Head - Rosten's double valve springs - ASV valves - ASV injection pump - GT18v - Race520 - FMIC (BMW530D intercooler) - PD130 fuel cooler - Lift Pump - Passat PD130 intake manifold

Last edited by Satiro; April 9th, 2012 at 06:16.
Old April 9th, 2012, 09:15   #37
01Bora

Quote:
If you make some mod like that to the engine/car and you don't FEEL it, why you do care about dyno? what a stupid thing. Again, PLACEBO effect.
I won't preach anything more in noobs threads like this nevermore guy, don't care about my dynos, i know very well when a certain mod makes sense in my car, you do it?
Appreciate it. Your attitude is not helpful or convincing.
Old April 10th, 2012, 01:43   #38
Satiro
Veteran Member

Quote:
Appreciate it. Your attitude is not helpful or convincing.
That will be a pleasure for me, but
i don't like so much having to read stupid titles like in this thread again and again. Some people is posting incredible threads like that one about 450hp engine and some others, and other people still posting crap like this thread... is not easier to read old threads by experienced people(not me) before posting? I think the evolution runs on that way. If your mind isn't convinced with my words,i don't worry about it, you let the time and money to teach you...

I think my attitude was helpful before,not so much after yours. Your number of post/threads is convincing me about you.
Enjoy that placebo increase that mufflerectomy will gives you

Last edited by Satiro; April 10th, 2012 at 02:46.
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:12   #39
01Bora

Quote:
That will be a pleasure for me, but
i don't like so much having to read stupid titles like in this thread again and again. Some people is posting incredible threads like that one about 450hp engine and some others, and other people still posting crap like this thread... is not easier to read old threads by experienced people(not me) before posting? I think the evolution runs on that way. If your mind isn't convinced with my words,i don't worry about it, you let the time and money to teach you...
I think my attitude was helpful before,not so much after yours. Your number of post/threads is convincing me about you.
Enjoy that placebo increase that mufflerectomy will gives you
If this site is not operating the way you would like to see it perhaps you should start your own website. People are free to ask whatever questions they like here. If you would like to refer them to an older thread to avoid having the same conversation twice then post a link and kindly remind them to use the search function next time.
As for your last comment, I don't recall mentioning that mufflerectomy gives a HP increase. Thanks for assuming . My point is simply that you have not shown any proof to back up your mouth.
Old April 10th, 2012, 16:57   #40
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Excerpt from the TDIclub FAQS.

6. Exhaust Modifications

It has been found that the noise level of a TDI engine is acceptable without any muffler at all. It is possible to cut out the standard mufflers (one or both of them) and replace them with either straight pipe sections or "resonators" or straight-thru low restriction performance-type mufflers. Alternatively, the entire system can be replaced aft of the catalytic converter. Some have experimented with the downpipe between turbo and catalyst, but with mixed results.

Installation: Welding required - not normally for the do-it-yourself mechanic.

Advantages: The less restriction you have downstream of a turbo, the lower the exhaust temperature will be, and the quicker the turbo will accelerate to deliver boost pressure. On Passat TDI's, which have a poorly-designed stock exhaust system, modifying the exhaust system can get rid of that annoying resonance at 1200 and 2400 rpm, with a bit of experimentation. An additional flex pipe downstream of the catalyst is reported to be successful.

Comments: Performance gains are fairly small to non-existent. Leave the catalyst in place, it has minimal impact on power (no more than 1 horsepower) - this is worth saving the environment for.

Disadvantages: Some authorities have legal requirements that a vehicle must have a muffler, so one may have to incorporate something that at least looks like a muffler even if it doesn't really do anything, to keep the authorities happy.

Cost factor: US$40 for replacing mufflers with straight pipe, to US$600 for a complete stainless steel "cat-back" exhaust system.

Cautions specific to this modification: It might take some experimentation to get rid of resonance at certain engine speeds which will vary depending on configuration.

Suggested modifications in parallel: Doesn't really matter. De-restricting the exhaust is a good thing to do on highly-tuned vehicles that need all the help they can get to reduce the exhaust temperature.

"Bang for the Buck": Rather lousy. In view of limited to non-existent horsepower gains, but theoretical improvement in exhaust temperature ... the less you spend on this, the better.

What if I want more? Do something that increases fuel delivery ...

END EXCERPT

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 00:59   #41
nosmokenopoke

I'm a little late to this party, but just had a read through the comments about mufflerectomy performance gains and was surprised to hear people so adamantly claiming that none can be had from this simple mod.

This video shows our Leon being tuned last year. We first of all did back to back dyno runs with no air filter, K&N filter and stock filter which showed that the stock filter flows sufficiently and no performance gains were had from the K&N or empty airbox.

We then performed a mufflerectomy with back to back dyno runs and the results were rather surprising - see 3:25 in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMmIqOXxjQU

Removing the backbox gave us a power increase of just over 6bhp and 8lbft of torque. As I said, these were all dyno proven.

So perhaps your butt dyno isn't lying to you.
nosmokenopoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 08:26   #42
Satiro
Veteran Member

Quote:
If this site is not operating the way you would like to see it perhaps you should start your own website. People are free to ask whatever questions they like here. If you would like to refer them to an older thread to avoid having the same conversation twice then post a link and kindly remind them to use the search function next time.
As for your last comment, I don't recall mentioning that mufflerectomy gives a HP increase. Thanks for assuming . My point is simply that you have not shown any proof to back up your mouth.
I'm running in this way for long time ago, you don't say me how it works please, since people like you write that kind of comments this forum goes to be bored.
I didn't see any data or proof from you or the thread owner, so i believe you have a huge mouth. I haven't to show you anything, if you don't want my 'help' i don't care about it, i don't care about arrogants, they just call you authority if you discuss them or ask you about dynos for that crappy mod!...what kind of idiots!

Last edited by Satiro; April 11th, 2012 at 08:33.
Old April 11th, 2012, 08:51   #43
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

Good god, let's just end this thread before we waste anymore valuable server space discussing such a stupid topic.

'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Custom tuned by Mike @ TDTuning.com
LNXGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:41   #44
01Bora

Bill, thanks for that excerpt.
Nosmokenopoke, very interesting to watch the dyno you posted. Food for thought.
Satiro: I do not understand some of what you are saying because of the broken english. But as shown again in your posting, you have an attitude problem that is extremely annoying. Try rereading the comments i have posted in this thread and show me where I wrote that i believe mufflerectomy gives a HP increase. Please! I cant find it myself.
Old April 11th, 2012, 19:58   #45
Ben Dur
Veteran Member

Idk about proven power and dynos or any of that. I know doing a mufflerectomy drops a few lbs (or kg if you prefer ) and it appears to have no ill effects so what the hell... off with it.

Between a mufflerectomy and clearing up the maintenance issues with my car it was significantly quicker. Quicker than new/stock? I dont know, but it was better than when i bought it.