www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old April 5th, 2012, 09:47   #1
hause

Default No start after engine rebuild

OK so just finished a alh rebuild by the book and can't get the car to crank up. Seems the first place to start is fuel. I have gone through all the steps and know the IP is getting fuel but when I crack the injectors I am only getting fuel out of injector 4. The IP was fine before the rebuild, could IP timing be causing this?
hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 10:29   #2
Dieselmad

Did you check if the fuel came through from the tank? I used compressed air at the tank to push the fuel through to the ip. After that i loosened all 4 injector pipes at the injectors then swinged the motor till i can see squirts of diesel coming out of the pipes.
Dieselmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 14:32   #3
hause

Yes what I did and it seemed to be successful was use a vacuum to pull fuel up from the tank through the filter and into the IP intake line. There is fuel in the line, its just not making it to the injectors. I can hear the IP clicking on as I cycle the ignition as well. I have noticed there is a small single wire connector that I did not get plugged up after installing the engine I can't seem to find the female side, its in the same group of connectors behind the oil filter. Anyone knows where this goes?
Old April 5th, 2012, 15:16   #4
Redneck Truck
Veteran Member

Single wire is oil pressure, I believe. Should be on the oil filter housing. Should not affect startup. Crank position may, but I believe that is a 3-pin connector.

Please help me clear out my garage. PM me.
Redneck Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 15:17   #5
Wonderboy

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg thanks to VA traffic

Can you take a picture of it?
Wonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 18:06   #6
hause

yes but I'm not sure how to post images on this forum, could someone please explain
Old April 6th, 2012, 04:33   #7
Wonderboy

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg thanks to VA traffic

You said you got it to the IP Intake line...have you primed the IP using the return line? If the IP isn't fully primed it won't get fuel to the injectors or there will be to much air in the system.
Wonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:29   #8
hause

I actually cant get the IP to prime, sounds like this could be the source of the problem. I have probably tired this on 3 separate occasions where I make sure there is fuel on the intake and then I go to vacuum the return line and I get nothing. I have been leaving the little curved adapter piece on there and tring to air seal the nipple (that hooks into the injector fuel house) with heat sink tubing.
Is this the wrong way to do it? I also have tried numerous times cracking the injectors and cycling the ignition, would this not do the same thing?
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:51   #9
Ski in NC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48-52 typical

Get an outboard motor squeeze bulb fuel hose and push fuel directly into inlet of fuel filter. Put jug on roof of car so gravity helps you. Fuel moves VERY slowly through machined clearances of lift pump inside IP, so be patient. Verify pump is solid (fuel coming out return) and then crank with injector fuel nuts loose. Once spitting, tighten up and try a start.
1986 VW Pathfinder 1.6 45hp Marine 4700 Hrs
2001 Cummins 8.3 420hp Marine 1660Hrs..REFIT DONE!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:15   #10
hause

Ok just went out and tried again. There is fuel sitting in the line going about half way up from IP to the filter. I hook vacuum up using a 5 hp shop vac on IP return. The fuel in the line sucks into IP, after a slight hesitation a soild stream forms in the intake line from the filter but still nothing out of the return. I pull off the fuel line to injectors and I get a very small trickle of fuel out of the vacuumed return line, when I block the injector line nipple back up trickle stops. I continue to let it vacuum at a trickle but dosen't improve.
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:37   #11
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Fuel Economy: 42 Jetta, 47 Beetle

I hope that you don't try the vacuum cleaner to siphon gasoline sometime. Things have a tendency to go "BOOM".

Has there been any fuel wetness on the outside of the injection pump before the rebuild?

Have you double checked the base timing? Check the link in my signature for no start troubleshooting.
whitedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:56   #12
Ski in NC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48-52 typical

Vacuum cleaner has nowhere near enough vacuum to prime the pump. Need either mityvac type hand pump, or the squeeze bulb I suggested.

The squeeze bulb works if there is a little leakage in IP, where the mityvac will not.
1986 VW Pathfinder 1.6 45hp Marine 4700 Hrs
2001 Cummins 8.3 420hp Marine 1660Hrs..REFIT DONE!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 08:16   #13
hause

ok I will try to locate one of these squeez bulbs you speak of
Old April 6th, 2012, 23:15   #14
hause

Picked up a mityvapc at harbor frieght and that did the trick, primed the pump, bled the lines and she fired right up. Felt so good.

The last thing I have to do is install the serpentine belt, right now even with the idle pully pulled back there isn't near enough slack to install. I have the service manual and the route is correct. I am only getting about 1/2" of movement on the idler pully is this right?
Old April 7th, 2012, 20:14   #15
runonbeer
Maintenance EnthusiastVendor

Fuel Economy: amazing/excellent/still pretty good

Make sure the upper alternator bolt is in the correct hole. Sometimes you can miss the hole and still 'sort of' bolt it up but it's kicked forward and causes the belt clearance issue you are describing.
runonbeer is offline   Reply With Quote