www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old April 6th, 2012, 05:42   #16
xdrift0rx

Thank you for the links everyone! The car itself has around 265k miles on it. It was previously owned by a diesel mechanic though. The car hasn't given me any issues in the 6 months I've owned it except for the n75 valve, and now the fuel cut-off solenoid.

Baron, I am located in Wilmington, Delaware. 150-200$ for reassembly sounds good.

My other car is an RX7 so I'm not too sure how this fancy piston engines work . Just kidding. In all seriousness this is my first diesel and I did not expect that to happen!

edit: is this the right DFIS page? http://www.dfispdx.com/contact.html There arent any phone numbers to call! and their submit a message thing is broken.

Last edited by xdrift0rx; April 6th, 2012 at 05:44.
xdrift0rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:49   #17
beetle1963
Veteran Member

I have a used one off a 2001 stick worked when pulled $175+ shipping
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:06   #18
migbro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrift0rx View Post
edit: is this the right DFIS page? http://www.dfispdx.com/contact.html There arent any phone numbers to call! and their submit a message thing is broken.
That's the correct web site. Looks like they're updating their site and it's incomplete right now. Here are their phone numbers:
503-235-1947
888-285-1213
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:23   #19
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Fuel Economy: 42 Jetta, 47 Beetle

The DFIS website really needs help. Go to the "about" page. They have all of these links to what people have said about DFIS and it's like they searched for "DFIS" and just grabbed the first post they found for various people. And to show they don't really know uch about websites, they picked one of my posts as well. ***???

But just because they can't build a good website doesn't mean that they can't build a pump.
whitedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:34   #20
gmenounos

http://www.diesel-forumas.lt/downloa..._pump_head.pdf
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:01   #21
KLXD
Veteran Member

If you do it yourself, keep in mind:

You'll need a seal kit. The existing ones are too old and hard to reuse.

After you get it back together it will require the hammer mod to get the IQ adjusted.

The solenoid was probably ok. I would bet on an wiring problem. VCDS can't detect a nonfunctioning solenoid, only an electrical fault. An internal short or open would be flagged but a bad external wire is far more likely.

It could have been checked out without removing it. Don't mean to kick you when you're down, might help the next guy.

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 08:52   #22
Abacus
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Quote:
Originally Posted by migbro View Post
Me too. Thanks, Oilhammer! But it is "tooefed", not "toofed."

Grammar n@zi signing off.
My bad, I thought the first 'e' was silent.
HEX-USB-CAN Vag-Com, A3/A4/B4 timing belt tools & manuals, IP socket, alt & specialty tools.
Abacus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 13:01   #23
G60ING
Veteran Member

I had to grind the snot out of a 24mm socket to remove the fuel shut off solenoid on my car. Then I had to use vise grips on the socket. It came off but it took a good amount of effort to avoid tooefing it.
Thinking about a TDI swap? Review the TDI swap directory
G60ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 05:56   #24
xdrift0rx

How HARD would you say it is to reassemble the pump? My biggest worry is making sure all the timing stuff is right. I have plenty of tools to get the job done. I don't mind sending it out, but if I can save some money I'd prefer to do it myself.

Edit:

I came across the website www.injection-pump.com and figured I would try this myself before sending it out. I picked out a seal kit with triangle bolt for 23$ a timing belt kit with locking tools for 75$ and a replacement belt tensioner because its been squeaking for 34$. Total comes to $141 with shipping.

Is it worth trying to do this myself? The link gmenouous included seemed to be the ticket I needed to get this done. I'd much rather be putting this money towards my turbo build for the RX7....

Last edited by xdrift0rx; April 10th, 2012 at 06:28.
Old April 10th, 2012, 06:07   #25
gmenounos

Quote:
How HARD would you say it is to reassemble the pump? My biggest worry is making sure all the timing stuff is right. I have plenty of tools to get the job done. I don't mind sending it out, but if I can save some money I'd prefer to do it myself.
See the .pdf I posted a link to. I thought it was pretty easy. I put my own pump back together using those instructions. The pump rotates normally with nothing rattling around inside. However I haven't put it back on the car to try it out as I had already installed a used replacement pump by the time I got around to reassembling the original. I'll be due for a timing belt in 500 miles so I could put it back in then, but I may just stick with what's working.

You will need the triangular socket to take off the quantity adjuster.

Greg
gmenounos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 06:32   #26
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Fuel Economy: 42 Jetta, 47 Beetle

Quote:
Edit:

I came across the website www.injection-pump.com and figured I would try this myself before sending it out. I picked out a seal kit with triangle bolt for 23$ a timing belt kit with locking tools for 75$ and a replacement belt tensioner because its been squeaking for 34$. Total comes to $141 with shipping.
Many people here have had not just bad luck, but horrible luck with the stuff sold from that site. Others have had great luck because they are the guys that fix the stuff that breaks when someone gets garbage parts from that site, or others by Prothe.
whitedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 12:01   #27
xdrift0rx

Well...I'm gonna be pulling the injection pump tonight. is there any marks i need to make to make sure when i put the pulley back on it is in the correct spot?
Old May 18th, 2012, 20:33   #28
Baron VonZeppelin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50.2 mpg overall Mk3 TDI

Get all the parameters set to #1 TDC and locked - as if you were doing a timing belt job. Can't remember if mk3 has snout-to-timing cover backing plate index marks on snout and plate like the mk1 and mk2 off hand - but paint dobs could be made to mark orientation - on snout and backing plate.

Break the cam sprocket bolt loose - will come in handy to do it now instead of waiting until you re-install the belt.

Break the Inj Pump sprocket nut loose - probably will need a puller for removing the sprocket. Should be an index mark on outer lip of pump sprocket at about 12 o'clock. Sprocket and shaft are keyed.
Make note or drawing of keyway orientation location on shaft.
Should be about 10 o'clock.
Baron VonZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 21:03   #29
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Quote:
a replacement belt tensioner
*This* I would pitch out asap and replace it with a proper OEM tensioner...very bad things happen if it fails...and if you search for "Prothe" you'll read about a lot of fail.

The triangular bolt socket and timing belt locking tools will be fine... and the seals can but leak.
2001 blue TDI Jetta, Malone Stage 3. Grrrr baby... very grrrrrrr!
1970 Bay Window bus... not so grrrrr
Vince Waldon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 10:43   #30
xdrift0rx

Okay so I followed the myturbodiesel.com instructions for removing the timing belt, and then took the injection pump out, followed the diesel-forumas.lt guide to the tee and got it all back together. i assembled it and wiped all the parts down in fresh diesel as a lubricant during assembly. I got the pump back in, the key in place and then locked it into place with the injection pump lock tool. I got the new timing belt on and made sure the crankshaft was aligned where the flywheel is location, made sure the camshaft was locked also and put the belt on. I didnt get a tensioner tool from metalnerd...so I'm trying to find someone local who has one I can borrow.

Once I get the tensioner tight I think its a matter of simple assembly. The diesel-forumas.lt guide was excellent and should be a sticky or something!

Anyone in the delaware tristate area? I'd be willing to drive half hour to an hour to borrow the tensioner tool...

Thanks for your help everybody! cant wait to have my jetta back on the road!