www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 17:10   #46
Van Wylder
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45-51 depending on amt. of lead in foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachedBora View Post
Check this out, complete with Cetane ratings:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=200694

-BB
Heaven is having 3 Country Mark stations within 10 miles of where I sit typing this. High cetane diesel, straight from the Middle America.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 18:34   #47
Solshd

Fuel Economy: Looking like 45-48 mpg so far

First, thanks to all for the insights. Time to give back a little.

Here in SE Wisconsin, I have learned that BP Diesel Premier is discontinued. I bought my last tank a month ago. Searching around to learn more, I found helpful and interested people at E. H. Wolf, in Slinger. These folks are fuel jobbers in nearly all of eastern WI. Their trucks are the dark blue tankers. They transport for BP and Chevron. They are the B100 suppliers for this area, too.

My first contact, by phone, was with a Bill Schmitz, who was willing to spend 20 minutes talking with me, knowing I was simply a VW TDI owner who wanted to learn. A few weeks later, I went to visit them late in the afternoon on Friday. I met a fellow named Tim Glenn. He also cared enough to sit down with me for 45 minutes and explain the BP Premier diesel fuel discontinuance, and furher that they were ramping up their own "premium" diesel fuel for those who wanted it. They were going to call it Wolf PDF.

Thing is, it may not be supported by BP Premier or Supreme pump tags (query, is there a difference between Premier or Supreme?). How to know? He gave me a short list of stations which would carry the PDF. Tim was also concerned this could change and encouraged me to check back to be sure. They have the additives and biodiesel and the rest available to purchase in Slinger for those who want to do it themselves, but he said I did not need it if I was buying their stuff. He was a straight shooting, no pressure, earnest, caring guy who could have sold stuff but felt I was better served by not doing that. He stayed late that day to help me. Perhaps it had something to do with him leaving in a bright red 2011 Golf TDI. Yes, they eat their own cooking and they know who we are. I topped off with their PDF before I left, but it was difficult because they are set for huge trucks and the pumps have the fat nozzles. But, I have my short list now.

Wolf additizes to make their PDF. Rough Specs: Cetane minimum is 44W, 47S. Anti-gel, anti-ice, de-emulsifier, lube, biocide. The additive is different summer and winter, since nearly half the volume of the winter PDF is anti gell, anti-ice, which protects to -50 F(ice), -15F (CP). Each blue tanker truck has a large tank of their additive (Diesel Guard, made by Valvtect, of Northbrook, IL). They entrain-mix it as it is delivered from the big blue tanker. PDF will have 10 gallons of additive mixed into a full load of #2. The extra cost is 5-10 cents a gallon.

A few weeks later, I could not tell what a BP in Waukesha was pumping and the persons there really did not know, so I called Tim, when they said they do buy from Wolf. He had them hand me an invoice and explained how to read it and how to know if it was PDF. It was not. It was untreated #2. This was February, but we are experiencing a MO winter this year in Wisco. Tim checked. He was able to tell me they do buy from Wolf, but he noted that station also took deliveries from Klemm Tank Lines (probably straight #2), so I should plan on additizing when I purchase there. Helpful, or what?

Tim suggested asking for the last invoice if someone doesn't know. That can be helpful and one can educate the person at the counter if they care. So, how to read an invoice? If the delivery is straight #2, that will always be on the invoice. They additize to winterize. Wolf does not mix in kerosene or #1. The additive will be indicated as 10 gallons of additive right there on the invoice.

BTW, I have not seen #1/#2 mix so far this winter and I'm not sure if anyone tells us. FHR fuels (Kwik-Trip) diesel is also additized to winterize and they label both. The straight #2 label says not suitable for winter.

Summarizing, Wolf's people are great, they care and they will help you if you call or visit. Look for their dark blue tanker trucks at BP and Chevron stations. They truck the eastern half of WI from four terminals from IL, to Granville, Waupun, to Green Bay.

The short list:
-Slinger - Schaefer BP just W of USH 41 & STH 60 on N side of highway
-Brookfield - Corner Market BP - Bluemound Road & Moorland Rd. - that's Brookfield Square and the SE corner of that intersection where Flemings Steakhouse is. Their sign says premium diesel, too, for about 5 cents more. Premium is all they sell
-Waukesha Hop-IT Market BP - least expensive Diesel - always - this year. Usually 10-15 cents less. So far always #2, not winterized. USH 164/USH 59 south of Arcadian/Greenfield and N of Pearl.
-Brookfield BP on Calhoun Road at Ruby Isle Shopping Center (used to sell Premium - not since Premier was discontinued - buy maybe again).

This post thanks them and thanks all you great TDI people, too.
Solshd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 19:00   #48
williamgd2
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 50 mpg at 65mph with no a/c

I have found what I think is the best fuel in my area Ct. Irving station rt.6 Chaplin Ct. High turnover and I can immediatlly feel the power and performance improvement after fillup.They also sell B20 biodiesle that I have tryed but try to stay away from because of potential Vw warrentee issues on my 2010 Jetta.Vw states B5 only for my car. I DO NOT work for or even know anyone at that Irving station.The statements I made are just my Honest observation but try it before calling me a lier.
williamgd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 19:57   #49
jbright
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41.7 mpg average, 95% suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Wylder View Post
Heaven is having 3 Country Mark stations within 10 miles of where I sit typing this. High cetane diesel, straight from the Middle America.
I've been using CountryMark Premium-R diesel for the past two years. I always refuel at the Lebanon, IN station, and I've noticed a large number of city, county, and state vehicles fueling up there. I discovered that station owners have the option of adding biodiesel to their diesel, 2% or 5%, even though this isn't marked on the pump (I asked). My station went up to B-5 last year and, at that level, CountryMark inspects the tanks for water. This company seems to be way ahead of the curve in confronting the problem of poor quality diesel in this country.
jbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 20:25   #50
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (480k miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLyme View Post
I have recently checked in with a locally/family owned fuel company about putting in my own tank so I do not have to deal with bad fuel issues. He also warned me about the truck stops. They are not in the market to sell you the best fuel. They buy the cheapest theycan find to make money. He also said the cetane is not like octane. Cetane only comes into play on start up and until the engine is up to temp. They sell regular and premium diesel. The difference in the two, premium has the additives regular does not. I am trying out their fuel now and I hope to have my tank soon.
Ask owner-operators how much it would cost for them to replace an engine or to repair a damaged injection system.

It's true that their trucks have better filtration systems, with water separators that actually work. But if one trucker gets a bad tank of fuel, by the time he spreads the word about that station then 1000 other truckers will know.
'03 Golf with 480k miles: Kerma Bosio PP520, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Koni Reds, Hakkapeliittas, Recaros, Akebonos, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Hidden Hitch, Neuspeed, Mobil 1 TDT
Foobert's TDI Hunt -- all Craigslist TDI ads nationwide -- TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 03:09   #51
hakanerdogan

Fuel Economy: 3.9 lt/100 km/// 60 mpg

I experienced Shell GTL Diesel, it really makes difference on the engine sound and makes feel reving a bit faster.

But fuel consumption increases and GTL is much more expensive.
hakanerdogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 06:49   #52
DogParkGuy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good

No one's subjective feelings really matter unless in can be tested in a laboratory or found when an engine is torn down and examined. Show me the evidence.
DogParkGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 08:00   #53
hakanerdogan

Fuel Economy: 3.9 lt/100 km/// 60 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogParkGuy View Post
No one's subjective feelings really matter unless in can be tested in a laboratory or found when an engine is torn down and examined. Show me the evidence.
That's for sure but you know there we are just writing our self experience, so it's not a technical test, just a way to tell people try and might share the same opinion, or not

As the title says, "Best Diesel Fuel", how can I know just self experiment.
hakanerdogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:54   #54
WutGas?
Veteran Member

Does anyone know about the quality/specifications of Homeland Diesel Fuel? Their stations are very clean around here and they are the most convenient place for me to fill up, but I can't get them to respond through their online contact form.
Old December 7th, 2012, 11:27   #55
vdubtdi11

Fuel Economy: 55.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tditom View Post
I agree that premium diesel signs don't always mean a different fuel, but BP does in fact refiine and sell two grades of diesel that have "premium" attributes.
Have a look here: http://mybpstation.com/fuels/diesel/bp-supreme/

I've yet to find any other major oil company publish specs on their "premium" diesel.
And based on the new TDI fuel pump issue, should we have a fuel system problem based on THEIR fuel, they will pay our costs. So I am banking that BP may be the way to go. They guarantee their diesel is going to be of quality. Thats a pretty strong argument should the HPFP issue really be caused by mixed fuel..
vdubtdi11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 14:02   #56
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

All stations are liable if their fuel is contaminated and causes issues.
Old December 7th, 2012, 14:09   #57
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tditom View Post
I agree that premium diesel signs don't always mean a different fuel, but BP does in fact refiine and sell two grades of diesel that have "premium" attributes.
Have a look here: http://mybpstation.com/fuels/diesel/bp-supreme/

I've yet to find any other major oil company publish specs on their "premium" diesel.
I didn't find any specs at that link and only one kind of diesel discussed. ULSD.
Old December 7th, 2012, 14:15   #58
WutGas?
Veteran Member

I am guessing the link has changed since the post is nearly 2 years old. I don't think BP offers the "Premium" fuel anymore.
Old December 7th, 2012, 14:16   #59
tditom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 54/48/43.5 B4 Passat: 52/48.5/45 B5.5 Passat: 30 mpg mixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WutGas? View Post
I am guessing the link has changed since the post is nearly 2 years old. I don't think BP offers the "Premium" fuel anymore.
Correct on both counts.
Why I can't recommend a tdi > MY 06 st this time
Why I recommend fuel additive. Why I can't recommend use of Opti-Lube
tditom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 17:31   #60
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI2000Zim View Post
Wawa
Sunoco
Shell
Hess
Gulf
Based on what parameters?
AFAIK, there's no way to compare fuel brands, as diesel fuel quality varies greatly from region to region.

Last edited by tdiatlast; December 10th, 2012 at 17:37.
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote