www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc)

Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) Discussions about alternative fuels for use in our TDI's. This includes biodiesel WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil), SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil), BTL (Biomass to Liquid), GTL (Gas to Liquids) etc. Please note the Fuel Disclaimer.

Old April 4th, 2012, 20:47   #1
tdilab

Default Biodiesel experiment '82 Volvo

New to Diesels, Love my 2005 Golf which I've owned less than a month.
I'm Bio-curious (I know that sounds sick)
This 1982 Volvo does have a non turbo Volkswagen engine 24d which is the old 1.6 Diesel with 2 more cylinders added on. Here's the kick:
The insurance is $118/annum & I might pick this thing up for $800bucks + no out-of-Province inspection required. (Original B.C. car)
147000 Km on the odo.. might have a head gasket problem.. it's a 4 speed
W/pushbutton overdrive on the stick.. blue wagon bit of rust.
Last summer she got me to the city & back no problems twice.. (200 miles) Kept 2 water jugs with me & had to add some. Burned up $60 Diesel fuel & worth every penny with all the extra driving.
Hoping to make this thing run on used A&W oil this year.
Keep it up.
tdilab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 05:13   #2
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

"Used A&W"? As in vegetable oil? With the issues that come with vegetable oil, I wouldn't run that engine on anything other than Diesel fuel. Maybe a low blend of actual bioDiesel, but no more than B20. If you don't know the difference between bioDiesel and vegetable oil, start reading.

I had an '80 Audi 5000 Diesel which was a 5 cylinder non-turbo variant of this engine. I bought it with 95,000 miles and it ran perfectly. I changed the oil every 3,000 with Diesel rated oil. By 125,000 it had developed serious compression issues and was consuming a quart of oil every 300-400 miles. It had new glow plugs and the biggest battery that would fit in it, but even after being plugged in all night in cold weather (30-40f) and it wouldn't start in the morning without lots and lots of cranking. Snow would be melting off the hood, but it would need a 50amp battery booster/charger to start. The charger didn't last long doing that.

The 6 cylinder variant was even worse. It had oiling issues with extra cylinders. Whether it was a design flaw, poor maintenance, poor quality oil for its day I don't know. Both 5 and 6 cylinder versions had issues with heads cracking. If yours has a head gasket issue, you could also have a warped head. Good luck finding a replacement or getting it fixed.
MayorDJQ is offline   Reply With Quote