www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc)

Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) Discussions about alternative fuels for use in our TDI's. This includes biodiesel WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil), SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil), BTL (Biomass to Liquid), GTL (Gas to Liquids) etc. Please note the Fuel Disclaimer.

Old April 4th, 2012, 21:02   #16
Biggles48

I paid taxes on the WMO I turned into fuel, all you have to do is keep track of the amount you make, my buddies in little rock have a big wvo collective, it's more complicated for them because they all have to keep track of the fuel they use individually and pay their taxes, don't worry if someone wants to be legal I promise the government has a way for you to pay your taxes.
Biggles48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 21:11   #17
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles48 View Post
I paid taxes on the WMO I turned into fuel, all you have to do is keep track of the amount you make, my buddies in little rock have a big wvo collective, it's more complicated for them because they all have to keep track of the fuel they use individually and pay their taxes, don't worry if someone wants to be legal I promise the government has a way for you to pay your taxes.
Good for you!

Please post exactly how you go about paying road fuel tax on WMO in Illinois. No-one has ever actually posted this procedure which I am sure exists. There was one fellow that was going to have his accountant look into it, but he just kept forgetting to actually do it.

If you could post the form number or a link that allows one to print the proper form it would be a great help to those members in Illinois that want to 'get legal'.

Thanks

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 21:18   #18
Biggles48

I initially went into the IRS office in Springfield and started asking around it took me forever to actually get answers, I'll dig out my taxes tomorrow and look at the form number but it worked the same way as when you pay taxes on a cash/under the table job, it's pretty much the honor system until you get audited. I'll find it tomorrow.
Biggles48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 19:36   #19
bakdoor
Veteran Member

So at the risk of starting an all-out flame war, I'm just wondering what needs to be done to run WMO in a 2006 PD engine. I have access to WMO, I'm already filtering it down to 5 microns for use in another (older) vehicle, but I'd like to be able to use a small percentage in the TDI (10-25%.) So, would filtering down to 1 micron be sufficient, or would a centrifuge setup to get down to sub-micron filtering be necessary? Just looking for input from anyone who's done it and had any success.
2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide-fuel sipper #2
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD-crawler hauler
1994 Jeep Wrangler-Rock Crawler
bakdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 19:40   #20
speed185187
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: >100MPGe

yes, it's a diesel : it will burn.

question is, For how long until problems arise?
speed185187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 11:10   #21
strick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankcorey22 View Post
Ive been running a 10% mixture of WMO for awhile and haven't had anything bad come from it. I run it to lube the pump better. Cheaper than power service.

I have a 83 IDI that i run 50/50 in and it loves it.

I also have a Deuce and A Half (M35A2C) I run it on 100% WMO
Oh man, the Deuce and a Half! Love it! We had a yellow one of those we ran at our fire department in CO that we called Big Bird. It was our wild land truck. It was UNSTOPPABLE. The other thing we used it for was pulling other fire trucks out of ditches. We always took great pleasure in using the 20 year old truck to pull out fancy scmancy $400k trucks with their auto-chains.
Old April 17th, 2012, 11:27   #22
joe4324

TDI(s): 99.5 A4 ALH

I second this opinion, I have burned all manner of 'fuel' in several types of motor. I know a guy whom for a couple years has been running around in a 67 Mercedes using up to 50/50 WMO for a few years now. He just runs it through a slow-sand filter first and straight into the tank as a blend.

In my experience WMO just isn't worth it. It smells like doom, and bombs your Fuel Filters in a third of the time. Maybe 5% for lubricity if you want. But I'm just not enamored with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed185187 View Post
yes, it's a diesel : it will burn.

question is, For how long until problems arise?
Old April 27th, 2012, 17:08   #23
oh-man67

TDI(s): 2002 jetta
Fuel Economy: best 43 mpg

I'be been running a 50/50 mix of clean diesel and used atf and wmo for probably 6 months. I filter it real well and use stuff that's synthetic to start but I haven't had any issues. I'd venture to say it has slightly more power but that might just be cuz its free. Same mileage and no extra smoke. I've heard of cords doing 90% used but I won't put in my 6.0. I have and 02 alh but wished I had an older one due to the electronic of the pump. Good luck, I take no responsibility for any damage, just saying I haven't had any issues.
oh-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote