www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:07   #1
JJ_BPK

Default HAPPY New 2012 Touareg Owner..

We traded out 2010 TDI Jetta Wagen in for a new 2012 Touareg.

The Jetta was great, 28.5K miles avg 41.6 MPG,, but a little small and no tow package.

The deal,, we received almost max trade-in and the Touareg at invoice,, ++ VW fia 60 months @ 1.6%

2012 Touareg TDI Sport w/Nav
Canyon Grey & Anthracite,, tow package, cargo mats, 1st aid kit
Built in Bratislava, Slovakia..

Now I need to absorb this 500 page manual..
Does anyone have a PDF version?? It would be nice to have a search ability..

JJ

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 14:18   #2
1goindiesel

I own the same car with 6spd manual and about the same miles.
Great car but I too REALLY like the Touareg.

What did max trade turn out to be? About what does that make your pmts
on 60 mo's @ under 2% int?

I am considering the same trade but with fuel prices looking scary going forward I am not sure I want to leave 41-48 miles per gallon tanks of fuel.
1goindiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 14:44   #3
JJ_BPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1goindiesel View Post

The 2012 was 44.6K+7.5%tax,, 15.5K trade-in, & 1.6% loan.
We will do bi-weekly at around 290USD, for 130 payments..
bi-weekly (26 payments @ yr) helps..

Old March 14th, 2012, 19:24   #4
Cogen Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than the Toyota FJCruiser

I was right behind one of those at a stop light today. Very sweet looking ride. Congrats on your purchase. I said to the wifey. When we retire in about 3 years we will sell both our 2011 Golf TDI's and get one of those. To my amazement she said "OK"
Old March 23rd, 2012, 22:55   #5
scrubber
Veteran Member

Default I feel ya'

I just pulled the trigger on a 2012 Touareg TDI to replace my beloved Golf. Sport w/Nav, Blue & tan (same scheme as the old Golf). The torque is impressive- I can't imagine what the old V10s must be like. The one thing I'm not crazy about is the dark brown trim that comes with the tan interior. I'd rather the steering wheel and dash were black. Not a deal breaker, though, and I still like the color combo. FWIW the computer said 27mpg ave. on the morning commute today in mixed driving. Super impressed with the drive so far.
scrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 04:54   #6
JJ_BPK

We are still very happy with ours. We looked at the tan interior and had the same reservations about the dark brown. Ours is black/gray with chrome trim.

We do have a couple quirks..

1)I think the drivers seat "parks" itself after the engine is off. I keep getting in and the back is leaning. We don't have the pre-set position buttons, so I end up manually re-seating myself.

2)Although we have the latest nav maps, there is a large stretch(50 miles) of US #1 where it posts the wrong speed limit.

3)You can't turn the radio off and still use the nav system. We are not incessant music listeners, so 95% of the time we have the stereo off. But I keep the nav on to see the traffic & TTD. We just turn the volume down..

4)No matter where you leave the volume when you turn off the engine, it automatically is turned up when you start the engine??

5)When I sync my phone, the car uploaded my phone book.. I do not like spreading around my personal info. If anyone knows how to erase the sync, I would be please to know..

6)There is less storage under the back deck than the Jetta,, much less. I barely have room for my tools, 1st aide kit, and jumpers.

I consider these problems as small and not complaints.

I'm still glad we stepped up to the Touareg..

We did have one problem of some importance,,,

The Touareg sat at the dealer and had a dead battery when we went to test drive it. They recharged it, no problemo.. BUT after a week, the adBlue warning light came on with "700 miles",, two days later it was "600 miles". After reading the problems here, I looked and the tank was full. Back to the dealer,, they emptied the tank and refilled it, but they still had bunches of errors on the computer, after conferring with Germany, they think the dead battery had erased or altered some entries. Reloaded the system, no problems for the last two weeks..

Old March 25th, 2012, 06:58   #7
Yeti35
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
We are still very happy with ours. We looked at the tan interior and had the same reservations about the dark brown. Ours is black/gray with chrome trim.

We do have a couple quirks..

1)I think the drivers seat "parks" itself after the engine is off. I keep getting in and the back is leaning. We don't have the pre-set position buttons, so I end up manually re-seating myself.

2)Although we have the latest nav maps, there is a large stretch(50 miles) of US #1 where it posts the wrong speed limit.

3)You can't turn the radio off and still use the nav system. We are not incessant music listeners, so 95% of the time we have the stereo off. But I keep the nav on to see the traffic & TTD. We just turn the volume down..

4)No matter where you leave the volume when you turn off the engine, it automatically is turned up when you start the engine??

5)When I sync my phone, the car uploaded my phone book.. I do not like spreading around my personal info. If anyone knows how to erase the sync, I would be please to know..

6)There is less storage under the back deck than the Jetta,, much less. I barely have room for my tools, 1st aide kit, and jumpers.

I consider these problems as small and not complaints.

I'm still glad we stepped up to the Touareg..

We did have one problem of some importance,,,

The Touareg sat at the dealer and had a dead battery when we went to test drive it. They recharged it, no problemo.. BUT after a week, the adBlue warning light came on with "700 miles",, two days later it was "600 miles". After reading the problems here, I looked and the tank was full. Back to the dealer,, they emptied the tank and refilled it, but they still had bunches of errors on the computer, after conferring with Germany, they think the dead battery had erased or altered some entries. Reloaded the system, no problems for the last two weeks..
The phone sync I assume is when you are running the bluetooth hook up. I doubt your phone book is even there when you turn bluetooth off on your phone. I know when it is off on mine no info shows up under phone on the HU. Granted I am referring to the RNS 510 in my 2010,but I assume yours would be the same with the RNS 850.

If you have not done so join Club Touareg and read the post about the Adblue issue. It goes much deeper then your battery issue, I can assure you that. I hope your dealer is prepared to replace some parts and do a software update for it.
Old March 25th, 2012, 07:20   #8
JJ_BPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35 View Post
The phone sync I assume is when you are running the bluetooth hook up. I doubt your phone book is even there when you turn bluetooth off on your phone. I know when it is off on mine no info shows up under phone on the HU. Granted I am referring to the RNS 510 in my 2010,but I assume yours would be the same with the RNS 850.
Thanks will check..

Quote:
If you have not done so join Club Touareg and read the post about the Adblue issue. It goes much deeper then your battery issue, I can assure you that. I hope your dealer is prepared to replace some parts and do a software update for it.
I'm already in the club and they already did the software update. He didn't go into details about parts, but did say they had a conversation with the factory in Germany. SO,, parts may also have been changes.

Thanks

Old March 25th, 2012, 07:21   #9
VW/Porsche Fahrer

My driver seat also sems to move. I thought it was creeping overnightt but now I am thinking I actually hit the button accidently when getting in and out of my Touareg.

According to the manual, after re-filling the urea tank you need to turn the key to the on position (without starting the vehicle) for 30 seconds. This enables the computer to sense the new level in the urea tank. I am sure that was not done by the dealer after re-setting your software.
VW/Porsche Fahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 07:41   #10
JJ_BPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW/Porsche Fahrer View Post
My driver seat also sems to move. I thought it was creeping overnightt but now I am thinking I actually hit the button accidently when getting in and out of my Touareg.
The seat moved yesterday while we unloaded from shopping. I had left the key in and doors open. When I came back the driver side was back 15-20 deg..

Quote:
According to the manual, after re-filling the urea tank you need to turn the key to the on position (without starting the vehicle) for 30 seconds. This enables the computer to sense the new level in the urea tank. I am sure that was not done by the dealer after re-setting your software.
We have not had any problems and have some 200-250 miles sense we were at the dealer..

Watching...

Old March 26th, 2012, 08:18   #11
Trooper81
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 72 MPG Record for 00' TDI

The seat moving is you hitting the buttons as you step out. They're in a bad spot and i've hit them many times. If you carefully step out without hitting them i guarantee your seat will never move again.

Trooper81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 17:56   #12
mo_focus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper81 View Post
The seat moving is you hitting the buttons as you step out. They're in a bad spot and i've hit them many times. If you carefully step out without hitting them i guarantee your seat will never move again.
It could also be the remote is set up for that setting, so every time you unlock the car it set it up. If you adjust the setting, then it will adjust to you liking every time you unlock your car with your remote. Same should be with the wife's remote.

As for the radio, there is a start up volume setting. If you set that to low then your radio will not be loud every time you turn it on.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 03:30   #13
VW/Porsche Fahrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo_focus View Post
It could also be the remote is set up for that setting, so every time you unlock the car it set it up. If you adjust the setting, then it will adjust to you liking every time you unlock your car with your remote. Same should be with the wife's remote.

As for the radio, there is a start up volume setting. If you set that to low then your radio will not be loud every time you turn it on.

The Sport with Nav version does not have memory seats.
VW/Porsche Fahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 06:08   #14
ruking
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 62/50/44mpg, normal commute range 48-52 mpg:09 Jetta TDI, 47/43/39, normal commute range 39 -43 mpg: 12 Touareg TDI, 39/31/29 mpg:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1goindiesel View Post
I own the same car with 6spd manual and about the same miles.
Great car but I too REALLY like the Touareg.

I am considering the same trade but with fuel prices looking scary going forward I am not sure I want to leave 41-48 miles per gallon tanks of fuel.
I can't say I blame you there. For me it is/was a case IF you wanted/want an SUV, albeit crossover and a diesel, (got to love 406 # ft of torque on tap) then it gets one of the best fuel mileage figures for an SUV. (EPA 19/28)
ruking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:19   #15
Tow-rig

TDI(s): Touareg 2011

After 20K miles with my '11 still love it. I average 31-33 mpg at 70-75 mph freeway, abt 22 around town. Best was 40 mpg on one level, 55 mph section of interstate on a trip that was 50 miles. Worst, abt 9 mpg towing trailer at 85 mph. I tow a race car in an enclosed trailer, plenty of power for that, maintain speed up hils etc. Was nervous as Cons Rpts called the Touareg the worst of the worst but I haven't had the 1st problem.
Tow-rig is offline   Reply With Quote