www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > West Coast Canada/USA

West Coast Canada/USA Local discussions for those on the West Coast of Canada and the US.

Old April 1st, 2012, 17:54   #1
MotoFelix

Default Recommend window repair shop?

Bummer. Walked up to my car to see this. I guess I was due.

Any recommendations for repair shop in the bay area? How much would it cost? If it's not too hard I can consider fixing it myself.

Old April 1st, 2012, 18:26   #2
gquenstedt
Veteran Member

Take the door panel off, then there are two rubber covers about a third of the way down the inner door panel. Open them and roll the window (what's left of it) down until you see a bolt head in each of those holes. You need a 10mm socket with a short extension. Loosen but do not remove both of those bolts, remove all the remains of glass then set the new window right in the holders and tighten them up.
Old April 1st, 2012, 22:17   #3
MotoFelix

Hey thanks, that sounds pretty straight forward. Anyone know how to take the door panel off? I'm looking at the bentley manual and it doesn't say much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gquenstedt View Post
Take the door panel off, then there are two rubber covers about a third of the way down the inner door panel. Open them and roll the window (what's left of it) down until you see a bolt head in each of those holes. You need a 10mm socket with a short extension. Loosen but do not remove both of those bolts, remove all the remains of glass then set the new window right in the holders and tighten them up.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 13:47   #4
skully
Veteran Member

Pry off the door handle cover, remove two #3 phillips screws, remove 3 torx screws from the bottom of the door cover, pry off the door cover carefully, and unplug the electronics and door cable. There's a good write-up on vwvortex, look for the MK4 FAQ.
skully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 12:31   #5
OnePutt
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Highway - 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by skully View Post
Pry off the door handle cover, remove two #3 phillips screws, remove 3 torx screws from the bottom of the door cover, pry off the door cover carefully, and unplug the electronics and door cable. There's a good write-up on vwvortex, look for the MK4 FAQ.
Bummer dude...sorry to hear. I've had my ride broken into 3 times (2 different cars) and it always sucks. Forget about the personal property...I was more worried about the documents in there.

There's also a phillips screw on the upper inside portion of the door panel near the tweeter that you should remove.

The inside door panels are held in place by 6-8 round plastic clips that snap in place. they are great at holding the door panel in place...but I tend to break a 1 or 2 every now and then. I don't think they are much to replace...might be handy to have a few spares with you in case.
Waiting for me in the garage/on the way - LOTS of goodies
OnePutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 22:31   #6
NewTdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/47/39

That sucks! As OnePutt said, having your registration in the car gives then invador knowledge of where you live; they could take a garage clicker, look up your address on the registration and ...
Good luck with the repair.

278,00 miles and counting!
NewTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 18:47   #7
MotoFelix

No worries, I didn't have any docs in there, my glove box was actually removed for the time being.. I was doing an upgrade to the 2002+ glove box

Yeah the jobs turned out to be easier than I thought. The hardest part was getting all the broken glass out of my car. I think I must've been cut here and there half dozen times. Besides that I followed the instructions from vwvortext and the tips you guys gave:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ore-posting***

Now I have a super clean passenger side window!
Old April 16th, 2012, 05:08   #8
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

Hold up there. Call your insurance rep. You may be covered.
Old April 16th, 2012, 11:24   #9
romad
Veteran Member

You'd think that since the cops run the registration before they get out of their vehicle, we wouldn't have to have that piece of paper in the car. But the CPR still requires it to be in there. Fortunately they dropped the requirement that it be visible from outside the cars years ago.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 15:02   #10
dieselarmada

Just for reference maybe for next time, I went to Absolute Auto Glass in Santa Cruz across from Walgreens/VW dealer and was able to haggle them a little bit down on a windshield Long story short, I drove into a car port with a bike on the roof, dooohhh! And, the carrier on the bike rack bent down and shattered my windshield.

They did a pretty good job and were fast.
dieselarmada is offline   Reply With Quote