www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old March 28th, 2012, 05:13   #12586
itchytweed
Veteran Member

Got my new rims (Sport Tuning T6) and put them onto the OE Hankook tires, which will have to be replaced in the fall, and installed them. Will post a pix when I clean up Gretchen as she is being a pollen magnet right now and looks yellow-blue at the moment.
VCDS (HEX-USB+CAN)
itchytweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 05:42   #12587
k4u2luz2

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 42.3MPG (W/Aggresive Driving and 170K Miles)

Removed Exhaust manifold and turbo and had the EGR Manifold hole welded shut. The aluminum block off plate that was previously installed just could not take the pressure and heat and I was tired of fumbling with it a few times a year. Plus the last time I messed with it the upper stud snapped off. It was nice to see that my turbo and intake barely had any soot/oil/dirt build up. I guess this is due to my heavy freeway foot.
Old March 28th, 2012, 08:19   #12588
TopherDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~47mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCdesign View Post
Been busy making here look better for the summer.
- Refinished the BBS RC's to a graphite metallic
- Installed Koni STR.T's(strut mounts, bearings, GLI bump stops etc.)
- GLI sport springs
- New front LCA bushings
- New balljoints
- Rear swaybar
- New alignment
- Blacked out my B-pillar and mirrors
- Gave her some clay bar lovin
- New CCV oil catch can
- Black rearview mirror
Almost ready for summer!
Looks nice Man!
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:54   #12589
sirpuddingfoot
Veteran Member

Installed Darkhorse's old H&R 28mm Rear sway bar (wow, is it nice!), and picked up some 18" B5 RS4 Replica wheels that need a little work and new tread.
Old March 29th, 2012, 21:02   #12590
Zedbra
Veteran Member

Drove the car up and over the Duffey Hwy that goes from Lilloett to Pemberton. Was sunny up to Lilloett, then the Duffey got real ugly. There was almost 100km of 4" of unplowed snow on a very twisty and bumpy highway - complete with one lane bridges. The drive took some time, but my little Jetta as the only non 4x4 on the road that day!

Near the bottom of the highway - I needed to get out and relax a little

Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 21:34   #12591
darkhorse
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40's

Thanks for posting. A number of years ago I spent time in Lilloett. We flew in from Penticton. Wonderful country!
'06 Golf GLS 5 speed, Evo skid plate, Koni FSD's with Shine RSS, SBC stage 3, SMF, KERMA custom tune, R 32 snorkel,PD 150 airbox,MAF,TIP & manifold, K3B,R 783's, Colt stage 2, EJ SMIC, piping by ID Parts, Whitbread 2.5" DP, Aero muffler, 3"KERMA SS pipes, Sigma 5 short shifter, .681 5th gear & Peloquin, Nicktane 1 um fuel filter & DG/Amsoil bypass filter.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 22:21   #12592
SCM.com
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '03 Golf TDI
Fuel Economy: 52-55mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
Drove the car up and over the Duffey Hwy that goes from Lilloett to Pemberton. Was sunny up to Lilloett, then the Duffey got real ugly. There was almost 100km of 4" of unplowed snow on a very twisty and bumpy highway - complete with one lane bridges. The drive took some time, but my little Jetta as the only non 4x4 on the road that day!

Near the bottom of the highway - I needed to get out and relax a little

Nice work Zedbra,
Did you make it all the way to Ocean Falls? Did it once in a work truck.. quite the country

-M.
03 Golf TDI 'Alice' , SBC Stg2E, TT Shortshifter, Amsoil filter, ProVent, 3BAR, OMI, I/C tubing, DG Racepipe, PP764, Snow Performance 2-stage W/M, ported 17/22, Eurojet I/C, 64mm catless SS DP/exhaust, Audisport Rotors, NSP boost gauge, 505.1 Oils, Frostheater, 1225kmClub, VCDS, DieselPower Box, StgA
SCM.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 22:59   #12593
Zedbra
Veteran Member

I made it all the way back to Squamish, which concluded my two week, 2000km trip around the province. Only other dicey driving was Creston to Cranbrook and then Cranbrook to Invermere - where I was hit with 10" of snow. I can now say that my iPikes (not the Canadian Tire version) handled superb in the thicker snow and the compacted stuff, though I did do an 180 on my way up to Panorama - so I took that as a sign to turn around. lol

Old March 30th, 2012, 09:43   #12594
silverbox
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55mpg highway@100kph

Had new OE rear axel bushings installed.
silverbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 07:57   #12595
Nighteyes

Picked up my first TDI on Thursday from the dealer. And dropped it off Friday for some window tint. Strange thing, I actually look forward to getting behind the wheel again.
Nighteyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 09:58   #12596
Zedbra
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Picked up my first TDI on Thursday from the dealer. And dropped it off Friday for some window tint. Strange thing, I actually look forward to getting behind the wheel again.

^ congrats on the TDI. And, that draw can be strong - after 7 years and 170k, I still look forward to getting into my TDI and driving.

yesterday i washed off two weeks of road salt

Old March 31st, 2012, 10:11   #12597
thebigarniedog
Master of the Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Welcome to the Darkside .......

I do not support policies that increase the cost of energy, since those policies unfairly and disproportionately increase the cost of food, clothing and necessities on the poor. Welcome to critical Thinking 101.
OCD TDICLUB MEMBER # 1
thebigarniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 10:35   #12598
jrarno02

TDI(s): '02 Golf GLS
Fuel Economy: Low 47-Avg 50-Max 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePutt View Post
I have no idea how people get this kind of fuel economy...I'd like to see my trip flip 8xx on a tank. Most I've ever seen is 730or so...and calculating fuel economy was 47 mpg or something like that. That was driving down i5 from SF to LA....totally flat lands. Maybe I need a scan gauge.
I just filled up for my second 800+ tank in a row, with about 60/40 Hwy/Cty, and I know my engine is so far out of wack in terms of tuning lol... I go like 58mph everywhere, maybe 60
jrarno02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 12:28   #12599
TDI_Votex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.2/6.5/9.0 L/100km

Re-installed my a-pillar boost gauge pod on 03 Bora. Didn't like my first install.
96 Golf GL 1.9TD(04-08) RIP Hail Storm
99 NB TDI(06-??)
00 Golf TDI(08-??)
06 NB TDI(08-??)
Volks for life!!!
TDI_Votex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 15:52   #12600
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

Went from this

To this

It's a lot shorter than the OEM one (duh!) and a little tight particularly on the 1-2 and R side. Even with that it's nicer than the stock one by far. It'll break in and loosen up.

My 5 speed one I had for 150k miles and loved it - I was tired of the OEM 6 speed one before 1500 miles

Great product from Diesel Geek!
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP110 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, GTC1444VZ, 3 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote