www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You



Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 31st, 2012, 09:58   #12586
Zedbra
Veteran Member
 
Zedbra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Squamish, BC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Picked up my first TDI on Thursday from the dealer. And dropped it off Friday for some window tint. Strange thing, I actually look forward to getting behind the wheel again.

^ congrats on the TDI. And, that draw can be strong - after 7 years and 170k, I still look forward to getting into my TDI and driving.

yesterday i washed off two weeks of road salt
__________________
2005 Jetta TDI GLS: VNT17VB, 3 Bar, Malone Stage 4, BiXenon retros, OEM Fogs, ST Coilovers, OZs


Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 10:11   #12587
thebigarniedog
Master of the Obvious
 
thebigarniedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fail Command (Central Ohio)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Picked up my first TDI on Thursday from the dealer. And dropped it off Friday for some window tint. Strange thing, I actually look forward to getting behind the wheel again.
Welcome to the Darkside .......

__________________
When interviewed about why no diesel for the new F150, Ford responded to effect that diesel makes no sense in the 1/2 ton market. That brilliance should be repeated in every Ram 1500 eco-diesel commercial.

OCD TDICLUB MEMBER # 1
thebigarniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 10:35   #12588
jrarno02
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
TDI(s): '02 Golf GLS
Fuel Economy: Low 47-Avg 50-Max 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePutt View Post
I have no idea how people get this kind of fuel economy...I'd like to see my trip flip 8xx on a tank. Most I've ever seen is 730or so...and calculating fuel economy was 47 mpg or something like that. That was driving down i5 from SF to LA....totally flat lands. Maybe I need a scan gauge.
I just filled up for my second 800+ tank in a row, with about 60/40 Hwy/Cty, and I know my engine is so far out of wack in terms of tuning lol... I go like 58mph everywhere, maybe 60
jrarno02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 12:28   #12589
TDI_Votex
Veteran Member
 
TDI_Votex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St-Hilaire, Qc, Canada
Fuel Economy: 4.2/6.5/9.0 L/100km
Default

Re-installed my a-pillar boost gauge pod on 03 Bora. Didn't like my first install.
__________________
80 Rabbit(80-94)
89 Jetta Flair 1.6TD(89-03)
03 Bora Votex TDI GLS(03-??)
96 Golf GL 1.9TD(04-08) RIP Hail Storm
99 NB TDI(06-??)
00 Golf TDI(08-??)
06 NB TDI(08-??)
Volks for life!!!
TDI_Votex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 15:52   #12590
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member
 
Fix_Until_Broke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin, USA
Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4
Default

Went from this




To this


It's a lot shorter than the OEM one (duh!) and a little tight particularly on the 1-2 and R side. Even with that it's nicer than the stock one by far. It'll break in and loosen up.

My 5 speed one I had for 150k miles and loved it - I was tired of the OEM 6 speed one before 1500 miles

Great product from Diesel Geek!
__________________
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP110 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, GTC1444VZ, 3 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 16:01   #12591
Whitbread
 
Whitbread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Richmond, MI
Fuel Economy: mid 40's with mixed spirited driving
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke View Post
It's a lot shorter than the OEM one (duh!) and a little tight particularly on the 1-2 and R side. Even with that it's nicer than the stock one by far. It'll break in and loosen up.

My 5 speed one I had for 150k miles and loved it - I was tired of the OEM 6 speed one before 1500 miles

Great product from Diesel Geek!
I hope you didn't get tired of shifting into 6th before 1500 miles though .

Had a chance to tow with the 6spd yet?
__________________
02 Jetta TDI
Whitbread Performance Innovations
-Full TDI performance and custom fabrication services. 248-755-8118, after 5-9PM EST M-F. Please email or call only.
Whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 16:21   #12592
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member
 
Fix_Until_Broke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin, USA
Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4
Default

No - I'm not tired of the right and down shift

I towed my 4x8 trailer with a 4' x 10' x 0.065" sheet of stainless on it 250 miles last weekend and it worked very well. About as light and aerodynamic as it gets so not a big workout. It would pull it in 6th at 60 MPH (1650 RPM), but was not happy with moderate hills so I kept it in 5th (~1975 RPM). Once I got on the 4 lane I could run it in 6th at 70 MPH (~1925 RPM) and it was fine. I got better mileage on that tank (47 MPG) than I did on my break in tank (45 MPG).
__________________
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP110 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, GTC1444VZ, 3 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 16:35   #12593
golftdi140
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: holley
Fuel Economy: 11 tdi 43. 93 camry 24. 97 cbr600 45-55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke View Post
Went from this




To this


It's a lot shorter than the OEM one (duh!) and a little tight particularly on the 1-2 and R side. Even with that it's nicer than the stock one by far. It'll break in and loosen up.

My 5 speed one I had for 150k miles and loved it - I was tired of the OEM 6 speed one before 1500 miles

Great product from Diesel Geek!
I did this last year in my 2011 golf and have lovedbit ever since. I did experience an issue with 1 & 2 so I compensated the adjustment slightly from just setting home position and tightening. Wish it was a tad cheaper though. But yes highly recommended.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
__________________
golftdi140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 17:10   #12594
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member
 
Fix_Until_Broke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin, USA
Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftdi140 View Post
I did this last year in my 2011 golf and have lovedbit ever since. I did experience an issue with 1 & 2 so I compensated the adjustment slightly from just setting home position and tightening. Wish it was a tad cheaper though. But yes highly recommended.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
The adjustment is fine, it's just stiff to push into gear and stiff to pull out of gear wheras 3rd and 4th kind of fall in and fall out - you can feel the springs on the synchro clips as you push past them and it falls into gear. You have to pull it all the way out of 1st and it will almost stay wherever you let go of it on the left side of the pattern - I'm not sure it's the shifter, but it didn't do it with the OEM one.

$200 is a bit high, but it's a high quality piece - the plastic bearing is much improved over the OEM one, all billet aluminum pieces, stainless hardware, spherical bearings on the pivots - this thing will outlast the car. I'm guessing there is not much middle ground from a design/price standpoint. Once you go custom, you go all the way like the DG unit. I'd rather pay $200 for this than $100-$150 for a modified OEM one or one that only shortens side to side.
__________________
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP110 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, GTC1444VZ, 3 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 17:43   #12595
golftdi140
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: holley
Fuel Economy: 11 tdi 43. 93 camry 24. 97 cbr600 45-55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke View Post
The adjustment is fine, it's just stiff to push into gear and stiff to pull out of gear wheras 3rd and 4th kind of fall in and fall out - you can feel the springs on the synchro clips as you push past them and it falls into gear. You have to pull it all the way out of 1st and it will almost stay wherever you let go of it on the left side of the pattern - I'm not sure it's the shifter, but it didn't do it with the OEM one.

$200 is a bit high, but it's a high quality piece - the plastic bearing is much improved over the OEM one, all billet aluminum pieces, stainless hardware, spherical bearings on the pivots - this thing will outlast the car. I'm guessing there is not much middle ground from a design/price standpoint. Once you go custom, you go all the way like the DG unit. I'd rather pay $200 for this than $100-$150 for a modified OEM one or one that only shortens side to side.
I agree it is very high quality. I did not hesitate to buy lol. My issue with adjustment was when I went left it would hit the lock for R in the car before the tranny actually got the 1-2 position. I stalled a few times only to realize I was in third. I wonder if that's your problem too. Try taking the side to side cable and pull a couple threads of slack out of it and retighten. That way when u go left it will push the selector farther down before hitting the lock in the car. I believe that's correct its been awhile since I looked at it. Another test is to put in third and measure left right play then put in 1st and see if its really tight left to right. Hope it helps !

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
__________________
golftdi140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 19:05   #12596
SoKYTDi
Veteran Member
 
SoKYTDi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Franklin, KY
Fuel Economy: See my signature!
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrarno02 View Post
I just filled up for my second 800+ tank in a row, with about 60/40 Hwy/Cty... I go like 58mph everywhere, maybe 60
And THAT's why I'll never turn those kinds of numbers. I like to get where I'm going in a reasonable amount of time.
__________________
Just a Geek, trying to make his way in this world.

2003 Golf GL TDi -- Lots o' mods and a whole list of dreams.....
SoKYTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 20:43   #12597
SD26
Veteran Member
 
SD26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WI
Fuel Economy: Almost 51MPG
Default

Well, lots of little things... Went and changed to MTL in the trans, playing with thermostats...

Took a trip, and I thought that the engine note sounded a little loud. Looks like the cat has came off the exhaust at the rear of the cat. I'm a thousand miles from home... What's the short answer for a fix, and what's a proper fix for longevity? Is it ultimately an issue with the stainless material used for OEM that eventually rots vs what ID Parts has as a replacement downpipe, then a cat... Looking at MPG as my ultimate goal, is there any reason to go over the stock 2"? Didn't come up with much on the search side...
__________________
Dave
1998 Jetta TDI "Jerry" - 5sp,ventectomy
2002 Jetta TDI "Matt" - 5sp,
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon - totalled
SD26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 21:59   #12598
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member
 
Fix_Until_Broke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin, USA
Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4
Default

Short/quick fix is whatever you can do with what you've got. It won't hurt anything while it's broke after the cat.

Long term fix has a lot of options. If it's MPG's and cost only, then repair with standard 2" or 2-1/4" aluminized steel pipe at your local muffler shop. The other end of the spectrum is to go full stainless from a few different vendors for significant $$.
__________________
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP110 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, GTC1444VZ, 3 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 23:29   #12599
oldpoopie
 
oldpoopie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Portland Oregon
Fuel Economy: whats that?
Default

Ordered a solar battery tender.......

Ive been driving the 85 jetta TD so much the battery in the golf went nearly dead from neglect.
__________________
Pacific Northwest TRUSTED TDIClub mechanic

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 08:44   #12600
SD26
Veteran Member
 
SD26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WI
Fuel Economy: Almost 51MPG
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke View Post
Short/quick fix is whatever you can do with what you've got. It won't hurt anything while it's broke after the cat.
So, being broke after the cat is good? I think I read something about "bark" and breaking the turbo shaft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke View Post
Long term fix has a lot of options. If it's MPG's and cost only, then repair with standard 2" or 2-1/4" aluminized steel pipe at your local muffler shop. The other end of the spectrum is to go full stainless from a few different vendors for significant $$.
I noticed no talk about replacing the cat?

Probably not a problem in Wisconsin with no inspections on diesels...
__________________
Dave
1998 Jetta TDI "Jerry" - 5sp,ventectomy
2002 Jetta TDI "Matt" - 5sp,
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon - totalled
SD26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2014
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2015, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.31079 seconds with 11 queries
[Output: 149.24 Kb. compressed to 127.25 Kb. by saving 21.99 Kb. (14.74%)]