www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old March 25th, 2012, 14:52   #3166
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

Not just laws requiring higher quality fuel, but actual enforcement of those laws - as in, random sampling.

And, B5 doesn't help when you have a poorly maintained tank that's got a lot of water and sediment in it (it could actually hurt, IIRC), nor does it help when you've got morons that dump gasoline into the diesel tank at the station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 14:59   #3167
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

It also won't help if the B2 or B5 is taken into account with regards to the lubricity specifications (i.e. the fuel blender uses the B2 as a substitute for whatever lubricity additive that they would otherwise be using to achieve 520 wear scar, so that the combined B2 blend is still only 520 wear scar or worse).

To my knowledge, there have still been very few HPFP failures in Canada, despite VW diesels having a larger market share here. (Canadian fuel specs call for 460 wear scar)
GoFaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 15:28   #3168
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

Actually, I just realized, there's an actual regulatory framework that could even be used, that's already in place, for government inspection of fuel pumps. Granted, it's usually done by the county, but... county weights and measures boards collect fuel from random stations to ensure that quantities are correct already. So, that collected fuel could be a fuel sample to be analyzed for fuel quality.

Quote:
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
Old March 25th, 2012, 15:47   #3169
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
....So, that collected fuel could be a fuel sample to be analyzed for fuel quality.
True, it could be, but who is going to be paying for the fuel analysis? That's not in anybody's budget and the likelihood of any new "revenue source" is slim at best.

Have Fun!

Son
Dieselgeek Shortshifter & Panzer Plate (my favorite & my smartest mods)
2MicronTech Pure Flow and Contain Flow CR fuel system modifications
JSWTDI09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 15:56   #3170
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

Fuel tax should pay for fuel-related expenses.

Quote:
Old March 25th, 2012, 16:01   #3171
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
Fuel tax should pay for fuel-related expenses.
You are correct, it should - ...but does it? I do not know.

Have Fun!

Don
Dieselgeek Shortshifter & Panzer Plate (my favorite & my smartest mods)
2MicronTech Pure Flow and Contain Flow CR fuel system modifications
JSWTDI09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 16:15   #3172
HammerTDI

Fuel Economy: 42.1

In regards to the warranty I purchased:

It says they will send me a check. It only applies if you have no claims AND keep it till expiration. You have to send in a certified odometer statement and send it in within 60 days of expiration. You get a full refund minus a $50 processing charge.

You do not get a full refund if you trade the car in and do not keep it till the expiration (miles/time). You get a pro-rated refund less a $50 processing charge.

Like I said prior, I will keep the car to 100,000 when the warranty expires, if the HPFP issue has not been resolved, I will get rid of the car. If it has and I still like it as much as I do now, I will keep it as long as I can.

Last edited by HammerTDI; March 25th, 2012 at 18:41. Reason: Additional content
HammerTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 19:18   #3173
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Getting the government to change the diesel fuel quality standard will be a bigger endeavor than getting VW to replace every pump made with a new improved model. Good luck with that!
Old March 25th, 2012, 23:18   #3174
T Girl

Fuel Economy: avg - 45

Originally Posted by ZiggyTheHamster
Can you clarify some things for me (I keep a spreadsheet of the TDI Club pumps)? Normally, a pump will say "BPT ####" and either have numbers under it or not. Both are always four digits. In your case, you have "BPY 070757" - should it be something like "BPT 0757" or is it really as you wrote? Also, did you notice any green or yellow dots near the label?

I will check again and get back with you.

OK sorry it took so long to respond but here it is. I checked my new pump again and triple checked the info on the tag. I made one mistake as you suggest the BPY was followed only by four numbers. I guess I was seeing double that day or something!
So here is what is on my pump line by line:

Bosch 515
0 455 010 508
CR/CP4S1/R35/20
03L 130 755A
BPY 0757
MADE IN CZECH REPUBLIC

There are NO green or yellow dots anywhere on the pump or label. So your concern was the last line which does read "BPY 0757". After that line there is nothing else except "MADE IN CZECH REPUBLIC".

Can you provide a link to your spreadsheet?

Hope this clears up the confusion.

The car now has 3000 miles since the new pump and fuel system replacement. I did ask the service manager what the results of the fuel analysis from my fuel tank was but he never responded.
it's loaded,
I had to order it!
T Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:13   #3175
pinkertonfloyd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgi View Post
Can you cite numbers and sources please? Where is data on "failures in the field" to be found?? Are these continuing failures not being reported to the NHSTA??? If one uses the NHTSA site's search function (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/index.cfm) for, by way of example, 2010-VW-JETTA-FUEL SYSTEM, DIESEL, the search (currently) returns 47 reported complaints, but perhaps folks just aren't registering complaints with the NHTSA...???? (and, if so, why not?)
Just to point out... you can't do that, the NHTSA website isn't the best (and I think some reports are based (due to the 3rd party wording) are from phone calls). Basically expand your search to everything and flip through, them I found that there are more HPFP failures reported under "Engine", and "Fuel System Gasoline" than The "Fuel System Diesel". Basically, remove the search, and have the summary and you'll see, the categorization is more often wrong than correct.
pinkertonfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 13:08   #3176
Niner
duplicate account, banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Girl View Post
Originally Posted by ZiggyTheHamster
Can you clarify some things for me (I keep a spreadsheet of the TDI Club pumps)? Normally, a pump will say "BPT ####" and either have numbers under it or not. Both are always four digits. In your case, you have "BPY 070757" - should it be something like "BPT 0757" or is it really as you wrote? Also, did you notice any green or yellow dots near the label?

I will check again and get back with you.

OK sorry it took so long to respond but here it is. I checked my new pump again and triple checked the info on the tag. I made one mistake as you suggest the BPY was followed only by four numbers. I guess I was seeing double that day or something!
So here is what is on my pump line by line:

Bosch 515
0 455 010 508
CR/CP4S1/R35/20
03L 130 755A
BPY 0757
MADE IN CZECH REPUBLIC

There are NO green or yellow dots anywhere on the pump or label. So your concern was the last line which does read "BPY 0757". After that line there is nothing else except "MADE IN CZECH REPUBLIC".

Hope this clears up the confusion.

The car now has 3000 miles since the new pump and fuel system replacement. I did ask the service manager what the results of the fuel analysis from my fuel tank was but he never responded.
Well, with the part number ending in 155A and not 155AX, the HPFP they installed is new on your car, not remanufactured. Made in Czech Republic is another indication it's a new pump, too, instead of Made in Germany.

I wonder what they are doing differently, manufacturing wise, in Czech Republic?
Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 09:27   #3177
ZiggyTheHamster
Veteran Member

Quote:
Bosch 515
0 455 010 508
CR/CP4S1/R35/20
03L 130 755A
BPY 0757
MADE IN CZECH REPUBLIC
I've updated your record to show the correct number. Your pump is the first pump which has "BPY" instead of "BPT", and I've seen a couple other Czech Republic pumps (the 515 is Czech Republic, 011 is Germany, unless it's a coincidence that I started seeing 515s alongside the "Made in Czech Republic" markings).

Quote:
Here's a link to the spreadsheet of HPFP pumps and failures (though the failure list is out of date I think).

I also forgot to ask, when was your car made? The month/year will be inside the driver's side door jamb. I think it's towards the bottom, but I've seen it halfway up or so on some cars.

Last edited by ZiggyTheHamster; March 31st, 2012 at 09:30. Reason: 011 is Germany, not 010.
ZiggyTheHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 09:33   #3178
ZiggyTheHamster
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner View Post
Well, with the part number ending in 155A and not 155AX, the HPFP they installed is new on your car, not remanufactured. Made in Czech Republic is another indication it's a new pump, too, instead of Made in Germany.
I wonder what they are doing differently, manufacturing wise, in Czech Republic?
I *think* that the remanned pumps only have "AX" on the box. The label, as far as I've seen, still has "A".

Also, I think manufacturing-wise, the factory is new (built in ~2005): link
ZiggyTheHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 19:23   #3179
carnotgas
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38 Average, 42 Highway
Default Parting Out

I am parting out my 2009 Jetta TDI. It has a 6 speed manual transmission, sunroof, 17 inch wheels. Graphite Blue. The vehicle is not worth repairing since it is out of warranty. It has a bad HPFP along with the rest of the fuel system. The turbo is bad and so is the DPF. It is due for a timing belt replacement. The exhust flapper valve is bad also. The steering wheel is off center and the vehicle pulled to the right when it was running. The satalite radio only works sometimes so I can't even use it to listen to music. The air conditioner was slow to cool down when I used to drive the car. Actually, I can't think of anything on the car that works! I doubt that anyone would want to buy any parts off of this lemon.

Thanks for reading.

carnotgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 20:42   #3180
sgoldste01
Veteran Member

How are the wheels and tires?