www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old March 28th, 2012, 20:21   #1
dieseldave11

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 36-40 city,41-43 highway
Default fuel economy,oil filter,oil type,fuel additive

my fuel economy has decreased alot since I bought my car (02 jetta tdi) I was getting about 45 mpg now I am getting about 40 max but mostly 36, I need an oil type to put in my car that will get me great mileage, I looked at the t6 rotella today but it didnt say it was CF-4 certified on the 5w40, I also look at mobil 1 10w40 high mileage oil would either of these work or increase fuel economy? what type of oil filter does an 02 jetta use? and are there any fuel additives that I can add to my diesel tank to increase mpg? thanks alot!
dieseldave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 20:29   #2
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Rotella T6 is suitable. CF-4 is an outdated standard - T6 meets standards that have superceded CF-4. (Your owner's manual can't automatically re-print itself when this happens ...)

Do NOT use the Mobil 1 10w40. That is meant for gasoline engines. It is not primarily meant for diesel engines.

But it is rather unlikely that the type of motor oil has anything to do with the fuel consumption. There is no magic fuel additive that miraculously improves fuel consumption. Weather, driving patterns, winter versus summer fuel, tire inflation pressure, etc have much more relevance.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 20:45   #3
dieseldave11

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 36-40 city,41-43 highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Rotella T6 is suitable. CF-4 is an outdated standard - T6 meets standards that have superceded CF-4. (Your owner's manual can't automatically re-print itself when this happens ...)

Do NOT use the Mobil 1 10w40. That is meant for gasoline engines. It is not primarily meant for diesel engines.

But it is rather unlikely that the type of motor oil has anything to do with the fuel consumption. There is no magic fuel additive that miraculously improves fuel consumption. Weather, driving patterns, winter versus summer fuel, tire inflation pressure, etc have much more relevance.
so rotella t6 5w40 is good? what about 0w40 or 0w30?

what type of oil filter?
dieseldave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 20:45   #4
Dieselducky
Veteran Member

I agree with GoFaster Stick with what VW recommends for your engine 5W40 get a quality filter from a manufacture like MANN
Dieselducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 18:30   #5
slamhouse
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than 95% of cars on the road

When's the last time that the timing belt was changed? and how many miles are on the new belt?

What happened to your fuel economy once the belt was changed?

How many miles are currently on the car?

GDE Tune and Meguiars on the tires
slamhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 05:06   #6
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

It sounds to me, like you are expecting a lot from a change in oil type. As long as you are using an oil that meets VW's specifications for your car you are not going to find much improvement in mileage due to oil choice or additives. Maybe some, maybe be even enough to measure, but likely not enough to get excited about. Using non-approved oils are more likely to cause you problems, maybe expensive problems that will make any milage gains look extremely small.

A change in oil type is just not going to make a meaningful difference.
Old March 31st, 2012, 09:27   #7
williamgd2
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 50 mpg at 65mph with no a/c

I have found that good fuel is where I get my millage.Try finding a good Qaulity fuel dealer and watch your millage go up.
williamgd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 18:14   #8
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Meehan View Post
It sounds to me, like you are expecting a lot from a change in oil type. As long as you are using an oil that meets VW's specifications for your car you are not going to find much improvement in mileage due to oil choice or additives. Maybe some, maybe be even enough to measure, but likely not enough to get excited about. Using non-approved oils are more likely to cause you problems, maybe expensive problems that will make any milage gains look extremely small.

A change in oil type is just not going to make a meaningful difference.
Exactly.
And I would not use 0w-30 in a VW diesel except under continuous extreme cold conditions, in which case mileage would not be a priority.
As Joe said, you won't bring back "lost" mileage with a change in engine oil viscosity type.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is online now   Reply With Quote