Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
When did McD's start selling Diesel? are they offereing their own blend of Bio from their fry oil? that'd be sweet.
I've seen a lot of fuel stations that have a McDonald's restaurant in the same building. So you can fuel your car and fill your belly at the same place.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
No, they just taste like they're coated with diesel. had to stop for a quick supper since I had a late flight, so it's not really a fuel station story but I had to share.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Well if they were from Europe, they would likely never have seen a gasser Pathfinder. Must have just thought that's absurd! ;)
What I find odd is that someone would rent a vehicle like that and not ever have to fuel it until they're returning it. Seems like everyone one I've ever had was on 1/4 tank when I got it, with an expectation it be returned at that level or higher.

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
What I find odd is that someone would rent a vehicle like that and not ever have to fuel it until they're returning it. Seems like everyone one I've ever had was on 1/4 tank when I got it, with an expectation it be returned at that level or higher.
Maybe they didn't read that part of the paperwork... obviously "Unleaded Fuel Only" eluded them...

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Maybe they didn't read that part of the paperwork... obviously "Unleaded Fuel Only" eluded them...
Isn't D2 unleaded? ;)

My own funny gasoline station story... I didn't really need to refuel today, but if I fill today I don't have to fill at all during my week's commute, which means getting home sooner on... probably... Tuesday night. So I pulled in to find... yup, free pump islands, but the only diesel island occupied by gassers on either side. Oh well it's a rainy Sunday so no rush. The (old) guy on one side, in a late-model Civic, steps out of his car. And pops the trunk. Realizes his mistake, reaches back into his car to pop the fuel door. Then fills the car. Meanwhile the young lady in the Aveo sedan drives off and I manage to pull up and fill the Golf. Old guy walks back to his Civic, and drives off. With the trunk still open. Stops, gets out, closes it, and drives off. His wife in the car looks like she's glaring at him with "that look", that only those of us married a good number of years can relate to :rolleyes:

I'm thinking... I turn 54 this year... this isn't so far in my future... :eek:

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Ha...finally got one.

I was pulling into the Shell to fill up and noticed a newer Honda SUV at the diesel pump...on the side that I usually use. As I drove by her to circle around to the other side all I saw on the back of it was a "V6". I was pretty sure it wasn't a diesel.

The girl looked a bit confused...and maybe embarrassed. She stood there for a bit...even lifted the hose like she was gonna fill with it. But after I parked on the other side and was getting out she got back in her vehicle and backed up a bit to use the gas pump instead.

Could be it was the first time she'd ever fueled up or something...duno...but at least she figured it out. Maybe it was the diesel sound of my car that finally clued her in....it's a bit louder since the upgrades.

skeith5

TDI
2006 Jetta
I was at a pump once, filling up with diesel. When I was done I drove off and heard a loud pop behind me. I get out and I realize I hadn't taken the nozzle out of the car when I was filling it. Popped the hose right off the quick disconnect.

Happened to me 2 weeks later... oops... haven't done it again.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
I was at a pump once, filling up with diesel. When I was done I drove off and heard a loud pop behind me. I get out and I realize I hadn't taken the nozzle out of the car when I was filling it. Popped the hose right off the quick disconnect.

Happened to me 2 weeks later... oops... haven't done it again.
*snerk*

I saw that happen once when I lived in Mississippi. A car full of, how can I put this… guys stoned out of their minds… got about $3 and then drove off with the nozzle still in the filler. They got all the way to pulling out into traffic before they apparently realized there was a problem!

clroan

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
On the way home from the dealer

I know this isnt at a pump but I still thought it was funny. I was on my way home from the dealer last week, I had just picked up my new 2012 Golf TDI. I was on the freeway when a guy pulls up next to me and motions to me. I thought he wanted me to let him in so I waved him in. He motioned again to roll down my window. I do so and he says "Hey man, thats a diesel, right." I nod. He says "How many miles per gallon you getting?" I have a total of 28 miles on the odometer, dealer tags, and havent even filled up yet. I quickly said "About 42-45. It just depends on traffic. I thought I had a good ball park from this site. He says "Damn that must be nice. Gotta get me one.". I have no idea what I am talking about but it was fun. Go diesels!

BUG4XTC

TDI
2006 New Beetle TDI 5-Speed
It Finally Happened To Me

My wife is the daily driver of her Gecko Green Metallic '06 MB TDI. I rarely, if ever, drive it. My wife tells me that there is always some "helpful" male driver at the station who "let's her know" that she is "putting diesel into her car!!" She always smiles, but says nothing, because she doesn't want some strange guy to be angry at her at a fueling station. I would regularly tell her what I would say if it happened to me. Yesterday I got my chance.

My wife had driven my car to work so I could put new windshield wipers on the car. I decided to fill it up while I had it. All of the pumps at the station were being used, except the diesel pump, which is on the same "one-pump island" as the gas pump. There was some middle-aged guy with his new Corvette filling at the gas pump. I backed into the diesel pump, just behind his car. I popped the fuel door and proceeded to get the diesel pump ready to fill the car. Mr. Helpful, with the Corvette, said, in his condescending voice, "you know that pump is diesel, right?."

I had the chance I had practiced for!!!

I responded: "You mean you don't choose the color of the pump handle to match the car?" The diesel pump handles are green, like the car. He says: No!! "That is diesel fuel, not gas!" I said: "What do you think I should put into the car?" He said: "Gasoline, Not diesel! Of course!" I said: "I wonder why Volkswagen printed 'Diesel fuel only' on this fuel lid and fuel cap? Think I should ignore it and put in gasoline anyways?" He looked shocked. I pointed to the chrome "TDI" badge I put under the VW symbol on the rear decklid and said "The 'D' in TDI stands for Diesel, not 'Dip****'." I then proceeded to fill up the car.

He didn't say another word.

My wife was so happy that it finally got to be said.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
BUG4XTC: Sorry to burst your bubble, but the "D" actually stands for "direct"...as in "turbocharged direct injection"...minor technicality, of course...

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
BUG4XTC: Sorry to burst your bubble, but the "D" actually stands for "direct"...as in "turbocharged direct injection"...minor technicality, of course...
Oh, I thought it stood for "Turbo Diesel Infection". ;)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I had a guy ask if I really wanted diesel as I started pumping yesterday, I said yup. He then said something about how pricey it is now adays, and back when he was young and dumb he filled up his fathers car with the "cheapest" fuel out there and got a toung lashing when it was diesel and not RUG.

He was nice and said have a good day.

BUG4XTC

TDI
Oh, I thought it stood for "Turbo Diesel Infection". ;)
Guys, of course it stands for "Direct" but it made for a much better response. It went just the way I had rehearsed it. My point was to call him a dumb****, he didn't even know it was diesel, let alone that it was a direct injection turbo diesel.

Got me on pressing the "M" instead of the "N" though. We don't have a Mercedes Diesel, just a VW one.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
My point was to call him a dumb****, he didn't even know it was diesel, let alone that it was a direct injection turbo diesel.
Way to give us TDI drivers a poor image. :(

Of course due to lack of publicity by VW, probably 99% of the population are unaware that VW sells diesel cars, let alone esoterica like what "TDI" means. (Well, except for some DMV clerks who think it is obscene :D )

BUG4XTC

TDI
Way to give us TDI drivers a poor image. :(

Of course due to lack of publicity by VW, probably 99% of the population are unaware that VW sells diesel cars, let alone esoterica like what "TDI" means. (Well, except for some DMV clerks who think it is obscene :D )
Why? Does the fact that he drives a Corvette mean he represents all Corvette owners?

Whatever. I guess I won't get invited to your TDI club. I'm just a bad example. And a bad person to boot.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
My wife is the daily driver of her Gecko Green Metallic '06 MB TDI. I rarely, if ever, drive it. My wife tells me that there is always some "helpful" male driver at the station who "let's her know" that she is "putting diesel into her car!!" She always smiles, but says nothing, because she doesn't want some strange guy to be angry at her at a fueling station. I would regularly tell her what I would say if it happened to me. Yesterday I got my chance.

My wife had driven my car to work so I could put new windshield wipers on the car. I decided to fill it up while I had it. All of the pumps at the station were being used, except the diesel pump, which is on the same "one-pump island" as the gas pump. There was some middle-aged guy with his new Corvette filling at the gas pump. I backed into the diesel pump, just behind his car. I popped the fuel door and proceeded to get the diesel pump ready to fill the car. Mr. Helpful, with the Corvette, said, in his condescending voice, "you know that pump is diesel, right?."

I had the chance I had practiced for!!!

I responded: "You mean you don't choose the color of the pump handle to match the car?" The diesel pump handles are green, like the car. He says: No!! "That is diesel fuel, not gas!" I said: "What do you think I should put into the car?" He said: "Gasoline, Not diesel! Of course!" I said: "I wonder why Volkswagen printed 'Diesel fuel only' on this fuel lid and fuel cap? Think I should ignore it and put in gasoline anyways?" He looked shocked. I pointed to the chrome "TDI" badge I put under the VW symbol on the rear decklid and said "The 'D' in TDI stands for Diesel, not 'Dip****'." I then proceeded to fill up the car.

He didn't say another word.

My wife was so happy that it finally got to be said.

Guys, of course it stands for "Direct" but it made for a much better response. It went just the way I had rehearsed it. My point was to call him a dumb****, he didn't even know it was diesel, let alone that it was a direct injection turbo diesel.

Got me on pressing the "M" instead of the "N" though. We don't have a Mercedes Diesel, just a VW one.

Why? Does the fact that he drives a Corvette mean he represents all Corvette owners?

Whatever. I guess I won't get invited to your TDI club. I'm just a bad example. And a bad person to boot.

You think the poor guy that tried to help you is a dumb****?

The guy in the Corvette only made one mistake, he tried to help an asshat.

Bill

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
When someone says to me "you know that pump is diesel, right?", my answer is "I sure hope so. The car's a diesel too."

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Depends on the day. Some days I am thankful and some days I am not. Everything from the above post to "Oh crap! Grab a straw and help me suck it out!"

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Maybe people ignore you at the filling pump where I live, or maybe VW and MB sell so many Diesels that they are common place, but I have never had anyone comment about what I am about to fill the car with at a station :rolleyes:

Oh well...

MrVermin

holychicken

TDI
2012 Golf 4D Manual
You think the poor guy that tried to help you is a dumb****?

The guy in the Corvette only made one mistake, he tried to help an asshat.

Bill
This x1000. The guy was trying to be helpful he responded like a condescending prick. Why would anyone think this is acceptable, let alone something to applaud?

When people try to "correct" me, I say "thank you, but it is actually a diesel." Of the three times it has happened, 2 of the times the person has come back with a story about how someone had actually put diesel in their gasser and it caused a problem. One time it was actually the station operator who shut my pump off while I was fueling and came out to inform me.

But, congrats to you, bug4xtc, you just made someone hesitant to help someone in the future. You can rest assure that you have made the world a better place.

Masonjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GL
Maybe people ignore you at the filling pump where I live, or maybe VW and MB sell so many Diesels that they are common place, but I have never had anyone comment about what I am about to fill the car with at a station :rolleyes:

Oh well...

MrVermin
Same for Ottawa. Lots of TDIs around - especially the new wagon.

Sometimes I get funny looks as I circle the pumps looking for diesel, and then drive off. I wonder what people think... ;)

The nozzle boots are not all the same (black, yellow, green) and not every station of a given seller carries the same stuff. Sometimes it's a bit hit and miss.

Andrew

TDICAT

TDI
N/A
No person has ever said anything to me but I have gotten a good number of :confused: looks. A person in a lifted gasser was at the combo pump, and I had to wait for him to finish. So I pulled up, parked, and shut the car down in the front of the station. Every single person gave weird looks implying that I was stupid for not pulling into one of the many open gas pumps, and instead waited to pull up and put, of all things, diesel in my car. But with only 5000 miles on it there will be plenty of opportunities to show the know-it-alls who is boss. :cool:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I think the best response no matter how someone tells us that we are mis-fueling our vehicles is in the words of the official TDIclub license plate frame:

"Yes, it's a diesel."

No exciting stories here, just the other day I was at a gas station and all the pumps were shut off, one gentleman in a truck actually pulled up and after we quickly checked all the pumps he pulled away, a few seconds later the attendant came back to their post inside store and turned all the pumps back on. Someone at another pump said, "they must have had to use the washroom." I had no idea they had to shut down the pumps when they took a bathroom break. I've been driving for almost 20 years never seen that.

Bugwithaltitude

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Blue Lagoon New Beetle GLS TDI
After 7.5 years with my Beetle, I haven't had one person say or do anything to stop me from filling up with diesel, although I might get a few funny looks. I also vent and I think some people are wondering what I'm doing. I did have one idiot pick up driver try to grab my spot at the pump about 5 years ago. I was next in line and he cussed at me and flipped me off. Beaten by a chick in a bug...bwhahahaha:D

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Same for Ottawa. Lots of TDIs around - especially the new wagon.

Sometimes I get funny looks as I circle the pumps looking for diesel, and then drive off. I wonder what people think... ;)

The nozzle boots are not all the same (black, yellow, green) and not every station of a given seller carries the same stuff. Sometimes it's a bit hit and miss.

Andrew
Montreal and the rest of Quebec too. In fact when I got my first TDI, a 99 Mk IV Jetta, it was a pimply teenage pump jockey who taught me the venting trick when filling me up!