www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old March 16th, 2012, 12:41   #6166
Sayray24

Fuel Economy: 44.2avg 56.5best

there is a station in Ft. Shawnee, OH (just south of Lima, OH) that has about a dozen pumps ALL of which are gas/diesel combos. it is so nice not having to worry about if a gasser is hogging the only diesel pump.
Old March 16th, 2012, 12:44   #6167
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 35mpg Avg / B4: 41mpg Avg

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
The other issue that often pops up is that I have to face the opposite way as most other cars to fill up...as the fuel cap is on the passenger side.
When there's a busy station, people often must think that I'm trying to jump the queue by coming in from the opposite way that everyone else is facing.
I get that a lot, when I have to fill up in the evening. The station we use, discounts $0.10 per $100 spent at the store. FYI...buying Amazon, etc. gift cards count towards the purchase. I was able to fill up both TDI's and 7 gallons in jerry cans at $0.60/gal off! Back to the story...there are only 4 combo pump in a field of Gas pumps. Most people use...drum roll...the combo pumps! Don't ask me why: I don't know!

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG, 35MPG avg; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW, Jake, 15.5MPG avg, 47kmiles; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! 204k miles, Avg 42mpg / best 48.9mpg, Troubleshooting Links: Whitedog's No Start Trusted TDI Mechanics A4 Limp Mode IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 14:26   #6168
snakeye
Veteran Member

Finally have a legit story!

Was riding passenger, teaching my brother to drive. We went to fuel up, and pulling into the gas station and waiting for a spot to clear up, I noticed a guy pumping diesel into his Nissan Pathfinder. I ran over quickly, and asked if he's sure he wants to pump diesel into that. He says yes it takes diesel, in a foreign accent. I ask him if he's sure, and he says yes! Two women come out from the other side, and one asks the direction to the airport. The guy tells me the nozzle didn't fit into the hole, but he still managed to fill it up.

I told him there are no diesel SUVs like that over here and that it takes "GASOLINE", and wished him a good luck getting his rental back before it stops running.
Old March 16th, 2012, 18:35   #6169
naturist
Veteran Member

I note that poster @snakeye is in Canada, and I confess that I do not know all that much about what vehicles with which engines are available there, but I do know that there ARE "SUVs like" the Nissan Pathfinder that have been available in the States with a diesel engine, and which he might find on the street in Canada, if for no other reason than he's close to the border. I do NOT think there have been Nissan Pathfinders in diesel, but SUVs for sure: I drive one of them, a Jeep Liberty CRD.

It is quite likely that his Pathfinder driving, foreign accent speaking acquaintance was indeed misfueling his rental. I'm just doubting his blanket statement about there being NO diesel SUVs "over here."
Old March 16th, 2012, 22:44   #6170
snakeye
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturist View Post
I note that poster @snakeye is in Canada, and I confess that I do not know all that much about what vehicles with which engines are available there, but I do know that there ARE "SUVs like" the Nissan Pathfinder that have been available in the States with a diesel engine, and which he might find on the street in Canada, if for no other reason than he's close to the border. I do NOT think there have been Nissan Pathfinders in diesel, but SUVs for sure: I drive one of them, a Jeep Liberty CRD.

It is quite likely that his Pathfinder driving, foreign accent speaking acquaintance was indeed misfueling his rental. I'm just doubting his blanket statement about there being NO diesel SUVs "over here."
Trust me I hang around this forum enough to know about the CR Jeep. I may not even have even used the word SUV; might have just said "we don't have any of those in diesel over here".

I was pretty sure there were no diesel pathfinders in Canada, but started doubting myself when he told me it was in fact diesel. I had to try sticking the nozzle into the hole myself to be sure.
Old March 20th, 2012, 04:59   #6171
740GLE
Veteran Member

i would have followed the guy to the rental place, see if it konked out on him

"Whole new generation Passat will work with you to create outstanding new classic, defining a new pattern!"
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 09:02   #6172
TheFonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
Trust me I hang around this forum enough to know about the CR Jeep. I may not even have even used the word SUV; might have just said "we don't have any of those in diesel over here".

I was pretty sure there were no diesel pathfinders in Canada, but started doubting myself when he told me it was in fact diesel. I had to try sticking the nozzle into the hole myself to be sure.
You are correct. There is no diesel version of the Pathfinder in Canada. The only engine available, according to the Nissan Canada website, 4.0-litre DOHC V6 engine with 266 HP and 288 lb-ft of torque, and I'm sure that this engine is gasoline.

I'd sure like to see the look on his face when he tried to drive that thing back to the car rental place
Old March 20th, 2012, 09:22   #6173
Dieselfitter
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.7mpg@110kph
Default Used JDM from Japan Possibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
Finally have a legit story!
Was riding passenger, teaching my brother to drive. We went to fuel up, and pulling into the gas station and waiting for a spot to clear up, I noticed a guy pumping diesel into his Nissan Pathfinder. I ran over quickly, and asked if he's sure he wants to pump diesel into that. He says yes it takes diesel, in a foreign accent. I ask him if he's sure, and he says yes! Two women come out from the other side, and one asks the direction to the airport. The guy tells me the nozzle didn't fit into the hole, but he still managed to fill it up.

I told him there are no diesel SUVs like that over here and that it takes "GASOLINE", and wished him a good luck getting his rental back before it stops running.
Did you assume that it was a Rental because they asked directions to the Airport. Or....

It could have been a JDM from Japan (15 years old or older) and with a Diesel Engine. Or....

It might have been a North American one, and The Gasser went south,so he put in a JDM used engine from Japan. You can get a low mileage JDM engine like new for way less than what it would cost to overhaul the Gasser.

A diesel Pathfinder would be NEAT.
Dieselfitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 10:10   #6174
snakeye
Veteran Member

It was obviously a rental car. They didn't know where the airport was and they really seemed like foreigners to me.

I'm sure where he was from, bigger vehicles were all diesel.
Old March 21st, 2012, 18:20   #6175
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

But doesn't everyone in Montreal sound like a foreigner? At least they do to me since I am currently sitting in a hotel in Laval.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:45   #6176
wolfskin
Veteran Member

Well if they were from Europe, they would likely never have seen a gasser Pathfinder. Must have just thought that's absurd!
wolfskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:08   #6177
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (505k miles)

There are a great many vehicles, including pickups and SUVs, which ought not be offered with gasoline engines. It is absurd that that most are not available with diesel engines.
'03 Golf with 505k miles: Kerma Bosio PP520, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Koni Reds, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Neuspeed, always Mobil 1 TDT
Foobert's TDI Hunt -- all Craigslist TDI ads nationwide -- TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:33   #6178
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Pulled into McDonald's last night in my 03 Passat. As I got out, a guy came up to asking if it was a diesel and then proceeded to talk to me for another 5 minutes about the VW diesels. He was really interested in the high mileage being reported for the Passats. He then went and got in his old MB diesel.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:51   #6179
740GLE
Veteran Member

When did McD's start selling Diesel? are they offereing their own blend of Bio from their fry oil? that'd be sweet.

"Whole new generation Passat will work with you to create outstanding new classic, defining a new pattern!"
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:07   #6180
romad
Veteran Member

Do you want fries with that fillup? Yes, super-size me!

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote