www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old March 18th, 2012, 19:06   #3106
dweisel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 09 MB R320 Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's a real pain in trying to come to any sort of conclusion with all this super secret stuff.
The info is not really secret. The answers are there,all you have to do is buy a reman pump and take it apart. Same with the latest revision pump,buy one and disassemble. May as well get a 2012 Passat pump to take apart and check for changes too. The answers are there.............you just have to be willing to pay for them or be patient and wait.

dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
dweisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 19:20   #3107
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mike View Post
Yeah, I'm hoping to keep it that way.

But with intercooler issues and HPFP failure within 14,000 miles, if I encounter another related problem in the next year, I might try to lemon-law (2 years in NJ) the car.
Doesn't the lemon law have to be for the same incident? I know that's how it was in Wisconsin years ago.
Old March 18th, 2012, 19:41   #3108
The_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
Doesn't the lemon law have to be for the same incident? I know that's how it was in Wisconsin years ago.
Well, I had the car towed to the dealer for a no-start/stumbling issue that they first identified as intercooler freezing, then found HPFP failure might have been the cause. Three trips to the dealer, ~12+ days out of commission.

For NJ, it is 20 cumulative days at the dealer, or three attempts to fix the same issue in two years of ownership. You have to give them a chance to fix it though, so if I encounter another problem, I might make the lemon claim. They'll try to fix it again, and if it reoccurs, VW buys it back for price paid*mileage/100,000.

I honestly just want my stupid car to work. I bought it new and have had a multitude of problems with it. I also have a 23 year-old 150,000 mile toyota MR2 which has been flawless. And I beat the crap out of the MR2 in autocross.
The_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 19:57   #3109
pcnorton

TDI(s): 2011 JSW

Quote:
Lets see. The odds seem to be this: 98/99 percent chance of no HPFP problems....1/2 percent you might. I'll take those odds.

ROFLMAO.....You kill me. Read my thread on my JSW's second flatbed ride. I must have bought the lightning rod package. You VW apologist's kill me. Is the sand that warm around your head?

I want to keep my car, but there are no answers on how to make it safe to drive. I guess I could run a analysis on every fuel station before I buy fuel. I guess that would be the next step up from my "buy every gallon form a major station with high turnover"

I could inspect my filter every day and flush the system and R+R the HPFP for inspection weekly.

Or I could wait for the second fuel system to be installed and trade in this nightmare.

Paul
pcnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 20:08   #3110
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Quote:
No, you called me out without any clue as to what my position is. I'm going to guess that you decided to actually go back and read my position and are too proud to admit you were wrong.
There is nothing wrong with being wrong and admitting it.

Could you post a link to the post he 'called you out' in?

I think what he posted was that he didn't care what you have been 'arguing' about.

He does have a point about his friend having cancer vs. anyone having a HPFP failure... they do not begin to compare.

Lets try a little Harry Potter therapy:

PANTIES UNTWIST!

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 20:13   #3111
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcnorton View Post
ROFLMAO.....You kill me. Read my thread on my JSW's second flatbed ride. I must have bought the lightning rod package. You VW apologist's kill me. Is the sand that warm around your head?

I want to keep my car, but there are no answers on how to make it safe to drive. I guess I could run a analysis on every fuel station before I buy fuel. I guess that would be the next step up from my "buy every gallon form a major station with high turnover"

I could inspect my filter every day and flush the system and R+R the HPFP for inspection weekly.

Or I could wait for the second fuel system to be installed and trade in this nightmare.

Paul
The failures are reported as running less than 2% unless you have official data stating otherwise.

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 20:36   #3112
GTIDan
Veteran Member

Quote:
No, you called me out without any clue as to what my position is. I'm going to guess that you decided to actually go back and read my position and are too proud to admit you were wrong.

There is nothing wrong with being wrong and admitting it.
Wrong again............Let me help you out. I don't care what your position is........got it????? The subject has been beat to death. If the frickin HPFP takes a dump in my car I'll check with VW and get it fixed. It's not the end of the world here at least for me

So try this and see if it helps: Open up a beer take a swig and try to understand what I said.

Last edited by GTIDan; March 18th, 2012 at 20:55.
GTIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 20:47   #3113
GTIDan
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40X40 View Post
The failures are reported as running less than 2% unless you have official data stating otherwise.

Bill
Actually I believe for the 2010 MY it's even less than that. But hey there, I'm NOT calling you out on this....OK?
Old March 19th, 2012, 06:46   #3114
pknopp
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcnorton View Post
Stating things as they are known is not apologizing for anything. As far as we know at this time, the odds are slim.
pknopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 06:50   #3115
pknopp
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40X40 View Post
Could you post a link to the post he 'called you out' in?

I think what he posted was that he didn't care what you have been 'arguing' about.

He does have a point about his friend having cancer vs. anyone having a HPFP failure... they do not begin to compare.

Lets try a little Harry Potter therapy:

PANTIES UNTWIST!

Bill
My position is exactly the same as his. He took one post out of context and told me to give it a rest as it was a minor problem. I never argued otherwise.

It happens all the time where people jump in during the middle or the end of a conversation without bothering to read everything that has been wrote.
Old March 19th, 2012, 06:56   #3116
pknopp
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIDan View Post
Wrong again............Let me help you out. I don't care what your position is........got it?????
Then don't tell me what it should be.

Quote:
The subject has been beat to death. If the frickin HPFP takes a dump in my car I'll check with VW and get it fixed. It's not the end of the world here at least for me

So try this and see if it helps: Open up a beer take a swig and try to understand what I said.

I'm fine with what you said. It has been my position all along.
Old March 19th, 2012, 08:14   #3117
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Given the lack of facts and any statement from VWoA, with some notable exception much of what has been posted in over 3100 posts are conjecture, speculation and unsubstantiated personal opinion. You are entitled to your opinions, but we have rules about decorum, etiquette and maintaining civil, respectful discussion.

I realize that people are very passionate and concerned about this subject because it involves a lot of uncertainty and potentially a lot of money that may or may not be covered by VW down the road. But this does not excuse the absolutely adolescent behavior by some people here. The line is drawn on the sand: if you can't resist picking arguments and agreeing to disagree in a mature manner from here on out, you will be banned. For a long time. I will determine the length on a per-case basis, but it could be as long as 6 months to a year. This will ride us through hopefully to a time when we have some hard facts and answers, whether from VW or NHTSA. Be hereby forewarned. There will be no other warning before a ban is handed down and no amount of whining (yes, it has happened) will alter the decision to ban or the duration thereof.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 08:54   #3118
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

As a postscript to the above, since it has also happened in the past, be forewarned: trying to get around a ban by registering alias accounts is ABSOLUTELY NOT TOLERATED. If you have been banned for a temporary period and come back under an alias, ALL YOUR ACCOUNTS WILL BE BANNED PERMANENTLY. A few people who tried this, who know they are and some of whom are posting in this thread, are very, very lucky to still have posting privileges.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 10:03   #3119
Derrel H Green
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly
Arrow Older MBZ Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
Don't forget that you also sold it for wholesale value. You sold it to someone (CarMax) who sold it again for a profit.
MB makes good cars, but older cars will always have some problems. My brother used to own an older MB diesel
(he now owns a JSW). He loved the engine and he never put a penny into engine repairs.
However the rest of the car nickled and dimed him to death (actually with an MB it dollared him to death).
He got sick of replacing window regulators, windshield wiper motors,
seat controls, and almost everything else besides the engine.
If you think VW parts are expensive, look at Mercedes parts. [You are absolutely correct!]
I'm not certain it is the clear cut choice you make it out to be.

Have Fun!

Don

Indeed. Time will most certainly tell.

Yes. Sold the JSW TDI to CarMax as I was in a hurry. No time for a private sale.
I did not want the CDI to get away and I needed the money from the VW to purchase the Benz.

What year was your brothers? It must have been an eighty something?

Derrel
Dynoed 12-01-12 211 HP, 386 ft/lb torque at the wheels.
View my MBZ E-320 CDI Fuelly: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/derrelhgreen/E320
Compare our previous VW TDI JSW DSG Fuelly : http://www.fuelly.com/driver/derrelhgreen/Jetta

Last edited by Derrel H Green; March 19th, 2012 at 12:06.
Derrel H Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 10:11   #3120
GTIDan
Veteran Member

Quote:
My position is exactly the same as his. He took one post out of context and told me to give it a rest as it was a minor problem. I never argued otherwise.

It happens all the time where people jump in during the middle or the end of a conversation without bothering to read everything that has been wrote.

"Can we all just get along?" Quote: Rodney King