www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > New Beetle TDI Picture Gallery

New Beetle TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a New Beetle TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old March 5th, 2012, 04:53   #391
JimDiesel

TDI(s): Beetle

Intresting roof mod on your avatar NB.
JimDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 08:57   #392
CrustyOreo
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 NB
Fuel Economy: GPM

Sure my friends all make fun of me for it. Til they wanna go anywhere and ask me to drive cause it's best on fuel or drive it because it's so damn fun!
CrustyOreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 08:59   #393
CrustyOreo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm22071985 View Post

*snip*

I'm guessing by the paint under the hood is used to look like this:

Old March 12th, 2012, 02:54   #394
Tin Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/40/30 TDI PD, 37/32/25 335d

It comes down to Americans being insecure about their masculinity needing the large engined, black/grey macho machines. Those that favor style and still consider cars, boats, and planes to be feminine to begin with, do fine with Beetles, albeit not pink ones!

TM

"We see things not as they are, but as we are."-- H. M. Tomlinson
"Once I make up my mind, I'm full of indecision."-- Oscar Levant
Tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 13:30   #395
Waldek Walrus
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/47/42
Default It's Back!

I thought this thread was long dead and gone. After that happened I was told about suitability of the Beetle. By my youngest granddaughter. The clatter of the TDI on a cold start disturbed her and made her ask what was wrong. The five speed sort of put her off - she said if she drove it would stall at every intersection. On a bit longer run (when it was the first choice car to seat four) she gave it a thought and said she could "never drive a Beetle." Why? Because it was "too much of a girly girl car" for HER. So I have been told.

That one sort of got me. One does indeed have to think like a teenager to end up with that opinion. Anyone for 48 MPG on winter fuel with four snow tires?

'06 TDI NB (Julie Bug)
'11 GMC Acadia
'01 Buick Lesabre - boulevard ride
Waldek Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 21:26   #396
Tin Man
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldek Walrus View Post
I thought this thread was long dead and gone. After that happened I was told about suitability of the Beetle. By my youngest granddaughter. The clatter of the TDI on a cold start disturbed her and made her ask what was wrong. The five speed sort of put her off - she said if she drove it would stall at every intersection. On a bit longer run (when it was the first choice car to seat four) she gave it a thought and said she could "never drive a Beetle." Why? Because it was "too much of a girly girl car" for HER. So I have been told.

That one sort of got me. One does indeed have to think like a teenager to end up with that opinion. Anyone for 48 MPG on winter fuel with four snow tires?
Yes, indeed our culture has become more "masculinized" since the New Beetle came to market. Yet learning proper clutch technique doesn't seem to be part of this image in everyone's mind.

TM

Old March 12th, 2012, 21:43   #397
Tin Man
Veteran Member

To some, me included, the New Beetle was about style and headroom, not gender identity. As a car afficionado, the classic fenders and look of the NB was my idea of an enlightened artistic driving experience. The alternatives were just blah boxes. Sure, a Corvette with a 50 mpg diesel priced right would have been a consideration if it had a back seat too .

It is a result of the insecurity some have with their own masculinity IMO. The NB was a "unisex" design when it was created but rapidly became "girly" since it did not fit the hypermasculine needs of today's homophobic culture. Race ready and hopped up, the cars look fine too, not unlike other classic hot rod designs.

I wasn't ready for a light blue one with pink flowers, mind you, having ordered one of the first platinum silver ones with black leather interior.

TM

Old March 12th, 2012, 23:41   #398
lovemybug
Veteran Member

Going from a Grand Marquis to a Beetle was definitely a change. Especially when I saw all the room I had in the garage. It's also one of the better road trip cars I've had. Not to mention getting much better fuel mileage.

I can't believe how much crap I can fit in this thing.
lovemybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 19:34   #399
schwarze Käfer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Average 50mpg @ 75mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemybug View Post
Going from a Grand Marquis to a Beetle was definitely a change. Especially when I saw all the room I had in the garage. It's also one of the better road trip cars I've had. Not to mention getting much better fuel mileage.
They are great, comfortable, and economical little highway cruisers that simply devour the miles. Handle severe crosswinds better than most cars, too.

New Beetle Mini H1 Bi-xenon Retrofit Performance Videos
schwarze Käfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 20:16   #400
CrustyOreo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldek Walrus View Post

Lol it's nearly impossible to stall a NB TDI. I can get into 5th gear with out pressing the accelerator :lol
Old March 15th, 2012, 19:04   #401
SpencerJ

Fuel Economy: 40ish

It could be argued that ALL cultures compensate in this way, not just "Americans" as you say. But, yes, the concept is the same. The new beetle is way not feminine. It handles like a dream boat.
SpencerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 13:07   #402
OmahaTDI
Veteran Member

Athough I've seen many more women driving in NBs, I've seen my share, primarily on forums like these, of very cool NBs. In fact, I cannot wait till I get mine - I've got some plans...
1984 Scirocco
OmahaTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 10:56   #403
hpc
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/43/38

Indeed, a good highway cruiser - made so many runs from Mississippi to Indy and back; and from D.C. area to/from Indy. Though, it is hardly a stock NB, but
still retains it stock appearance other than the Turbo-S front; Aristo's; and barely lowered via NeuSpeed SoftSports; and the latest addition of Rigid Industries' D2's
in place of the stock fog lights.
hpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:19   #404
HetfieldJ

TDI(s): 1998

New beetle is feminine. You will see a lot of girls driving it and it has certainly got the fairer sex really interested in it.
HetfieldJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 22:49   #405
lovemybug
Veteran Member

Methinks someone needs to read the enitre thread. Lots of secure males driving Beetles, too.

I can't believe how much crap I can fit in this thing.
lovemybug is offline   Reply With Quote